Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IBEW on Strike

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
    It seems you have contradicted yourself, Frankie. If Rosenblum was off island, then he wasn’t at the table. Duh! He chose to be unavailable when the single most important thing he could’ve done was cancel all appointments and sit down with the union. And look at the fruits of his careless and irresponsible actions. As 808shooter’s story points out, “Rosenblum has attended just one of about 40 negotiating sessions the company has held with the union over the last six months.” Sounds pretty damn selfish to me.
    First of all, there's no contradiction to anything that I wrote, Tunnl.

Secondly, the idea of using the Rosenblum's absence (on that particular Friday) as a justification to go on strike isn't something that the public is buying. Look at the results so far in KHON's poll. It's running 75.1% to 24.9% AGAINST the union.

I haven't seen anyone so out-of-touch with the public's pulse since the Mufi campaign on the eve of primary election night. That seems to be par for the course with you, Tunnl.

Here's the reality for you. IBEW's leadership was grasping at straws to justify a strike to the public. But careless statements to KHON by the rank-and-file like "It's raining, perfect" and "the weather is working in our favor" let the cat out of the bag, as far the timing went. Frankly, I'm surprised that the union leadership didn't tell their members to keep their mouth shut to the media. Now, IBEW Local 1260 is dealing with one beauty of a PR blackeye that no amount of spin will cover over.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; March 6, 2011, 08:36 AM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by 808shooter View Post
      If their contract ended on Halloween, that makes four full months that have past without a new contract.

That fact coupled with the fact that the president has attended 1 of 40 negotiating sessions tells me that the timing of the strike was needed to wake management up.
      While 808shooter thinks that electrical service to the public is a bargaining chip in labor negotiations, grave consequences befall those folks whose lives depend on it.

Two elderly people in Ewa w/o power HOSPITALIZED!!!

A woman had an asthma attack and could not use an electronic nebulizer. She was treated by paramedics at the scene and was taken to the hospital in serious condition but had "a good prognosis," Ireland said.

A man who uses an electronic oxygen machine "was simply running out of oxygen" and was taken to the hospital in stable condition, he said.

"When I heard the electric guys were walking off the job, that was irritating," Kamaile said. "They should've taken into consideration people who've been on breathing machines, oxygen tanks and C-PAPs," Kamaile said, referring to a machine used by people with sleeping disorders. "They should've fixed what was here and then go on strike."
      Even members of other unions frown upon the timing of IBEW's strike.

Gabe Silva, 80, said he was an Oahu Sugar Plantation worker and ILWU member for 42 years, starting at 81 cents an hour. Whenever ILWU struck, the company and union always made sure families were not hurt too severely, he said.

"Our main concern was taking care of the people while we were on strike," he said. "There was a verbal agreement with the company."

Silva echoed Kaimaile's comments: "They should have finished the job first and then settle their dispute."
      808shooter, you're obviously entitled to your opinion. But I just gotta say right here,... anytime a union engages in a work stoppage that jeopardizes the safety of the public, when squabbles over retirement age and benefits takes precedence over the welfare of the sick and infirm,.... I can only feel pity for anyone who's priorities in life has gotten so far out of whack.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Don't need the unions.

Plenty folks waiting in line for their jobs. I would be happy to start working for HELCO at $1 less than the next guy. Makes no sense to strike when the economy is tanking so hard that excess labor is everywhere you look.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I remember a time when if such a work stoppage were even contemplated, the company reps and the union reps would be summoned to governor (Ariyoshi's) office with the strong advice not to even think about leaving until issues were resolved.

Last time I remember anything like that happening was when Waihe`e called in UHPA and his state negotiating team - and was able to announce a settlement forthwith.

Where's Neil?

Comment

The teachers strike lasted what 3 weeks back in 2001....how long did the garbage workers strike last in 1979 or was it 1980...that made national news...Ray Lovell went out to the airport and showed everyone what the tourists first saw when they landed in Honolulu...not a pretty sight and a stinky one too!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
              The teachers strike lasted what 3 weeks back in 2001....
              And don't forget the 18-day walkout in 1973.

Comment

Tentative agreement reached this morning. Power to the people!

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                  Tentative agreement reached this morning. Power to the people!
                  Power to the people, indeed. Power, EXCEPT for the disgraced membership of IBEW Local 1260.

That a tentative agreement was reached today is no surprise to me. Bottom line facts are these: IBEW walked off the job on Friday @ 3:30 pm leaving 8,000 homes without power. By this morning, HECO management and non-union crews restored power to all but 70 homes, with milder weather forecasted for this week. Without the "leverage" of the power outtage, the union leaders knew that staying on strike was hopeless and going to end up being a disastrous path for the workers.

Lance Miyake will probably declare some kind of victory by saying that the work stoppage prompted CEO Richard Rosenblum to cancel whatever plans he had this weekend and come back to the bargaining table. Whatever. I'd be very surprised if HECO gave in to most of IBEW's demands. After how things turned out, management was in a position to play hardball.

Union leaders everywhere should take note: This was a classic textbook case of how NOT to conduct a strike.

Comment

The bums should all be fired and replaced with contractors.
                    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by StinkyTheGrump View Post
                      The bums should all be fired and replaced with contractors.
                      Who? HECO management?
                      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Originally posted by matapule View Post
                        Who? HECO management?
                        The union workers.
                        What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

Comment

I was without power from Friday till this afternoon.

It's pouring again here is Aiea.

We're better off than others in many parts of the World.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Dividends have not increased a penny in at least 5 years - can employees say the same of their pay? I perceive a disconnect from reality on the part of the workers and the union.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Okay, I checked the archives. Dividends haven't increased since the start of 1998. Same profit earns same share of profit for all stakeholders, eh?
                              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                                Dividends have not increased a penny in at least 5 years - can employees say the same of their pay? I perceive a disconnect from reality on the part of the workers and the union.
                                What about HECO management? Has their compensation remained frozen for the last 5 years? How is their perspective grounded in reality?
                                Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Working...
                                X