X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iPad release

Originally posted by LocalMotion View Post
    I'm typing this is my new iPad now
    Either you purposely omitted 'with' (see smiley), or it's going to take some getting used to that touch-screen keyboard. lol

According to this very in-depth video review of the new iPad by PC Magazine, while you can use the Apple wireless keyboard with it, the iPad isn't compatible with Apple's wireless mouse, or any mouse for that matter. I suppose when it comes to "pointing" to something, you have to use the touch screen.

Then again, I suppose using an external keyboard defeats the purpose of the iPad anyway. Still, I prefer having more user options than Apple's currently giving it.

I still think a Notebook is just about perfect the way it is. I like being able to close it and have the screen and keyboard protected. Plus you can connect all the same peripherals as you can on a full-blown tower.

Can the iPad be networked?
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I'm a gadget junkie and would love to buy an iPad. I just don't think I'd ever use it. I can't think of a situation where I would.

I don't need one at work, lots of computers there. I can't use one when I travel for business since it doesn't do everything I need. If I'm travelling for fun, I don't want to have to lug it around, especially since I always have my iPhone with me. I don't see any good reason to take it to a bar, restaurant, concert, movie, etc.

About the only time I'd use it is around my house. If I want to look something up real quick while watching TV, etc. Seems excessive to spend $500 just for that.

I'm curious, in what situations do people find their iPads most convenient?

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
        Either you purposely omitted 'with' (see smiley), or it's going to take some getting used to that touch-screen keyboard. lol

According to this very in-depth video review of the new iPad by PC Magazine, while you can use the Apple wireless keyboard with it, the iPad isn't compatible with Apple's wireless mouse, or any mouse for that matter. I suppose when it comes to "pointing" to something, you have to use the touch screen.

Then again, I suppose using an external keyboard defeats the purpose of the iPad anyway. Still, I prefer having more user options than Apple's currently giving it.

I still think a Notebook is just about perfect the way it is. I like being able to close it and have the screen and keyboard protected. Plus you can connect all the same peripherals as you can on a full-blown tower.

Can the iPad be networked?
        My brain and typing were not in sync. I just forgot to type the word "on"

Remember the iPad is not all things to all people. Some will find it useful and some will not.

Being a photographer it's great to showcase my work. For times i don't feel like lugging the laptop around it's perfect. I can create documents/flyers/marketing material on it with Pages, amongst other things. I think the iPad specific software that will be developed will create the need for the device.

The Apple case is perfect because it covers the glass when closed and it's still very slim.

I feel the Internet is much more enjoyable to surf on the iPad. You just have to use it to really understand.

It's a electronic tv guide, a digital picture frame, whole home remote control, etc. It will encompass many uses into 1 device, similar to how the iPhone did.

I love the thought of having magazine subscriptions on here. When the price is right it will be nice. The Popular Science iPad mag/app is awesome and a great next step in that area.

To each his own. I love my new iPad and will get a lot of use out of it.
        website - http://www.brianhancock.com
        blog - http://blog.brianhancock.com

Comment

Here's a guy who bought an iPad but did not keep it around for too long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28...layer_embedded

He's probably got enough money to buy more.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Here's a guy who bought an iPad but did not keep it around for too long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28...layer_embedded

He's probably got enough money to buy more.
            That was painful and tragic to watch. That guy's bound to get cancer or somethin' from breathing all those toxic fumes.

One person commented, "That's how you make Apple Sauce".
            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

I finally got my hands on one, as a coworker of mine just picked one up, along with a new 21.5" iMac. This, as he walked into Apple actually with the intention of buying a 15" Mac Book Pro.

But when the salesperson asked what his needs were, they quickly came to the conclusion that for the same price of the 15" Mac Book Pro, he'd be better off getting an iMac desktop computer for production work, AND an iPad for the portability, casual web surfing and business presentation needs (showing photos of planograms and products).

So anywhow I got some good time "playing" with an iPad today and I must say, it's GORGEOUS. Especially like LocalMotion mentioned for showing off digital photos in beautiful, rich high resolution detail. Of course it's intuitive as any gadget could ever be, having me think this would be GREAT for my mother who is as good using a mouse and keyboard as I am finding my way around the cockpit of 747 or Space Shuttle. This is such a great "computer" for older folks who are apprehensive of anything "techie". They should be flying around this thing, surfing the web, looking at photos and reading eBooks in no time.

As for the touchscreen keyboard, I was pretty challenged by it in my initial attempts to type, as it obviously doesn't have the same tactile feel of a keyboard with physical buttons. I made plenty of misttttakes typping a simple sentence out, easily double-pressing the sammme keeeyy more than twicccceeee. It's a bit more cramped and squeezed together than a standard-sized QWERTY keyboard, even in landscape view. I'm sure with more time on it I'd get used to it.

One really cool feature is the book reading app, which lets you hold your finger down on any word, and a menu bar pops giving you several options, including a dictionary to find the definition of that word. How cool is that! Plus an option change the font size and brightness of the screen. It really "feels" like reading a physical book, except on a much COOLER level. This will definitely encourage children of all ages to read more. It made me wanna'!

I still don't like the exposed all-glass screen, and the only way I can see this thing as being truly portable is if you also buy the protective Apple case for $40 (or other third-party case when they come out). That is unless you're more careful handling it than a heart surgeon is handling a patient on the operating table. For the price, I really think Apple should have included the folding case with the iPad. At least that!

Personally I don't have $500 to just throw at for something that for me would be a "nice to have" luxury but not "NEED to have" portable device. My laptop does 150% of the things the iPad can do, while just not being quite as "cool" doing it. But I will admit, I still WANT one! I just don't need it.
              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                [...]
                Personally I don't have $500 to just throw at for something that for me would be a "nice to have" luxury but not "NEED to have" portable device. My laptop does 150% of the things the iPad can do, while just not being quite as "cool" doing it. But I will admit, I still WANT one! I just don't need it.
                My sentiments exactly. While I want another cool piece of technology, I certainly don't need it. Good grief...I still use my Powerbook G4 (complete with OS 9!), an iPod G4 and a regular, ol' cell phone with no 'net access! I text maybe once a week! But I do have a really cool digital Polaroid camera!

Oh, and I know how to do ONE page in Coda...after DaFerrett made a template!

Comment

Now if future versions of the iPad allows the user to attach it to a hinged keyboard with a touchpad and all the ports needed to turn the iPad into a netbook, then I'll consider it.

Imagine an iPad as the LCD screen to a netbook. Use it as a functional netbook and when you want to simply go with the iPad, you detach it.

Oh and be able to play Flash content.

Sometimes you need a laptop/netbook, sometimes you need just an iPad. Have both integrated as detachable units and have both.

I can see the iPad replacing textbooks in schools. Much cheaper in the long run and students (especially high schoolers) won't trash it (hopefully) knowing it's a great social tool as well as an educational one.

I can see the iPad as a menu for restaurants with video of the dishes. Press the "order" button and it get's sent to the kitchen. An online billing system would allow for secure payment of your meal instead of handing your credit card to a complete stranger.

I can see the iPad as a great medical records viewer for doctors. Their iPad would show a menu of patients he is to visit. Press the appropriate patient icon and see all medical records listed. Data is entered on the iPad and is sent to a database in the hospital instead of transcribed by hand (possible typo's).

Because of it's bigger size and ease of use, it's a great tool for the elderly who need to get on the technological bandwagon but lack the technical savvy to understand the complexities of it.

Great things to come for the iPad but two things I'd like to see in version 2.0; netbookability and lower price.

I'm sure the price will drop tremendously by Fall of this year and will ultimately piss off many. But I'd like to see the iPad become more adaptable with hardware configuration. Like Helen indicated, the lack of a data port to throughput data limits its technical capabilities. Simply having a USB port available would push the usefulness of the iPad to greater heights.

I'll wait on this one...but I'm watching with a keen eye.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X