Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montauk Monster

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/07...f_montauk.html

Yesterday, Gawker ran what appeared to be a photo of a bloated, leathery animal corpse — only it was like no animal anyone had seen before. A stout, hairless creature with a beak, claws, and the almond-shaped eyes familiar from renderings of space aliens, it looked, in short, like a monster. Hence the headline: "Dead Monster Washes Ashore in Montauk." The photo had come over e-mail to Anna Holmes, the managing editor at Jezebel, from an employee at Evolutionary Media Group, in Los Angeles; Holmes passed it on to Gawker. Because it came from a marketing company, Gawker surmised, "our guess is that it's viral marketing for something." They later pointed to a Cartoon Network show, Cryptids Are Real, which features similar-looking chubby monsters. We called Evolutionary, where a woman named Alanna Navitski, who claimed to be responsible for the tip, swore it was not a viral-marketing campaign. "This is what happened," she said. "I got this e-mail and opened it from my girlfriend who works at Harris Publications, which has nothing to do with anything. Anyway, my girlfriend's sister was there with her friends and one of them took the picture. And we were like, 'This is the scariest shit we've ever seen.' And so — I'm in marketing — were like, 'Maybe we should send it to a few blogs and see if anyone else is as freaked out as we are.' We had no idea that it would turn into this. Now it's literally a beast of its own. But it has nothing to do with any kind of campaign."
    In fact, this turned out to be true. A number of eyewitnesses say they saw the monster with their own eyes. "I saw the monster," says Michael Meehan, a 22-year-old waiter at the Surfside Inn, which sits above the beach where the monster washed up. "I just came walking down the beach and everyone was looking at it. No one knew what it was. It kind of looked like a dog, but it had this crazy-looking beak. I mean, I would freak out if something like that popped up next to me in the water."
    So did anyone there, you know, do anything about it?
    "This woman kept calling animal control," said Meehan. "She wanted to name it after herself. I think they came and got it. The carcass. Whatever it was."
    But did they? The East Hampton branch of animal control referred Daily Intel to a supervisor who did not return calls for comment. And Navitski, of Evolutionary Media Group, says her friend's sister (who doesn't want to talk to the press, though Plum TV will host another woman, Jenna Hewitt, who claims she took a photo, tomorrow) says animal control never came. "They say an old guy came and carted it away," she said. "He said, 'I'm going to mount it on my wall.'"
    Dead Monster Washes Ashore in Montauk [Gawker]
    Paging Darwin: Is Montauk “Sea Monster” Real or Photoshop Phantasy [Plum TV]
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Re: Add This To The WTF Files

People can do such incredible things with photoshop these days..

I have no proof it is a photoshop job, but Im just sayin..
    n'importe

Comment

Dang it, that sucker chewed through every coller I put on.
      https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

its gotta be photoshop. that is an ass of a turkey if I have ever baked one.

pax

Comment

ha! ha! oh, you made my day!

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
          its gotta be photoshop. that is an ass of a turkey if I have ever baked one.
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

DUDE!! You could've put a warning above that picture!! I saw it here this morning, and I've been totally grossed out ever since!! When I clicked on this thread just now, I had to close my eyes and scroll past it really quick. wtf, indeed!

Here is a brand new entry I found on Snopes.com, the best website for all things urban legend-y.

"William Wise, director of Stony Brook University's Living Marine Resources Institute...offered what he called a next-best guess: "A dog or coyote that was diseased and has been in the sea for a while""
            ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

I'm willing to buy into it as fact. The whole thing, head to toe, looks convincing.
              That someone was allowed to cart it off to rot in his yard without a serious investigation by proper authorities is stupid.
              https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

NOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

They got Griffie!!!!!

~Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

Poor Griffie..*snuffle*

Comment

I'm not using the water hose when that thing is mating.

Comment

Dd anyone else notice the thing is giving us all the finger ?

www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

You can't even tell from the photo how big or how small this thing is.
                      Last edited by helen; August 1, 2008, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                        You can't even tell from the photo how big or how small this thing is.
                        There's a fly on its "shoulder" - that helps with perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
                          Dd anyone else notice the thing is giving us all the finger ?
                          xD

"Damn you people, for taking pictures and not calling Animal 911..."
                          "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
                          "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
                          "
                          Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Re: Montauk Monster

Ok, here's my edumacated guess............

It's a de-shelled turtle, with the back of the beak filed and carved to look like teeth. Or are there some sea turtles that actually have a beak and teeth ?

Maybe ?

DD
                            www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Re: Montauk Monster

Nope. Its got feet of some sort, but to be a turtle it needs flippers.

Any new news on this thing?
                              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Working...
                              X