The "Just Moved FROM Hawai'i" Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Just Moved FROM Hawai'i" Blues

Well, the art scene and music scene are cool here, I'll admit that. maybe I should start a Jawaiian band, none of that here, lol!

the art scene is cool, a lot of good parties and stuff, have met some cool people, but nothing has "clicked"...I really only know 1 person, and my employees.

And, all the museums and stuff have been a nice slight distraction from missing the beach.

As for sports, I have heard the new "Nats" stadium(or field?) is nice, and they DO take local sports very seriously here(not as much as Hawaii and UH..what a great time to have lived there with the past season...)and I will go to see some games.

Still, I miss island life...
    flickr

An email from God:
    To: People of Earth
    Date: 9/04/2007
    Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
    God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
      Now I know, things can seem the same where ever you end up, but I feel like a fish out of water, for the first time in my life.
      I share the same feeling too out here in Arizona. Everything is good. Everything is nice. I have a good life. But I just feel out of place. Having lived in CA for 10 years, that's really 1/3 of my life. However, I have no connection to CA even thou I have just as many friends, in fact more friends compare to Hawaii.

And yet, it's not Hawaii.

No matter where I go, Hawaii will always be where it's at. It's where I rather be.

Comment

Originally posted by cabanalane View Post
        I share the same feeling too out here in Arizona. Everything is good. Everything is nice. I have a good life. But I just feel out of place. Having lived in CA for 10 years, that's really 1/3 of my life. However, I have no connection to CA even thou I have just as many friends, in fact more friends compare to Hawaii.

And yet, it's not Hawaii.

No matter where I go, Hawaii will always be where it's at. It's where I rather be.
        Me too And yet, it's not Hawaii!
        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

hope the both of you are okay with all the wildfires destroying thousands of acres?

stay stafe.
          "chaos reigns within.
          reflect, repent and reboot.
          order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

Thank you, and yes there are so many fires out here but most of them are in the deserts and mountains. I live right in the middle so we get the smog, dust, and debri but thank god we have no fear of loosing everything like so many.
            Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

glad to hear that you and yours are safe. so unfortunate about all the others whose lives are affected by it all.
              "chaos reigns within.
              reflect, repent and reboot.
              order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I will always find the best in any situation, and adapt pretty quickly, I guess it is just all the yuppies and cookie cutter mold people that are just SO annoying...I am a beach bum with a career, and the career part here is great, but I can not be a bum here...well, a sidewalk bum, but that's no fun
                Tattrat,

I've been in NOVA (Old Town Alexandria, VA) now for 7 years moving here from Fort Lauderdale, FL and still feel the same as you in regards to the people. I have really never felt like I fit in...everyone seems "stuffy" and stressed all the time. I've only made a few friends since being here, but they feel more like acquaintances (maybe it's me ) I do the like the area especially downtown DC and Old Town Alex with all that they have to offer, but the first time I went to the beach at Chincoteaque, VA it took 6 HOURS!!! (went on a 3-day weekend and it was because of traffic--no accident) I kept going because I was meeting family, but I had never been 15 minutes away from a beach and after living on the beach for 3 years I was sorely disappointed once getting there. As scary as the Potomac water can be I do enjoy seeing the river in the morning and evenings along the GW Parkway as drive to and from work (in Maryland)...I daydream it's one of the FL intercoastal waterways sometimes, but it's definitely not a body of water you want to venture into. I do hope you all do well here and feel a little more comfortable as time goes on.

May I ask your advice on Oahu? (sorry, don't mean to make you more homesick) I have an opportunity to move to Oahu if I want to and have a place to stay; however I'm nervous about trying to find a job there. I have been checking all different internet career boards and there seems to be jobs, but I've read from others on message boards that it can be hard to get a job because locals are nervous that you won't stay long and will move back to the mainland quickly. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comment

Welcome to HT, Daisy, and thanks for your post!

This board is full of great advice if you look around. What kind of work are you looking for? I had GREAT results with craigslist and had a motor scooter and job within a week of moving there. I guess it really depends on what you want to do. Honestly, if you have a place to stay when getting there, that is the biggest hurdle jumped, imo.

Here is a thread I made prior to moving, it can offer some insight on a potential move there...and I know there is a LOT more info on the boards here, just use the search feature.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
                  flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

bump

'cause I miss Hawai'i, dang'it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still, on a daily basis, I ask, why am I here?...

is there a medical cure for feeling like a fish out of water? I haven't seen commercials for that yet.
                    flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                    God

Comment

is there a medical cure for feeling like a fish out of water?
                      No actual cure, but temporary relief may be found at this link.
                      A large quantity actually did cure me of the flu one time!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm mostly happy where I am, but lately I've been really dying to go to the beach. And when I say beach, I mean the beach in Hawaii. I wouldn't touch the beaches here with latex gloves.
                        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                          I'm mostly happy where I am, but lately I've been really dying to go to the beach. And when I say beach, I mean the beach in Hawaii. I wouldn't touch the beaches here with latex gloves.
                          Did you ever been in NJ? Seen famous NJ shore? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                            I wouldn't touch the beaches here with latex gloves.
                            The ones that wash up on shore, or would you provide your own?

Comment

Come to New York, I'll show you all some nice beaches!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                No actual cure, but temporary relief may be found at this link.
                                A large quantity actually did cure me of the flu one time!
                                I tried, no workie,
                                flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                                God

Comment

Working...