fruit fly control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fruit fly control?

anybody got a natural/organic way to control fruit flies? they are stinging the mangoes. neighbor suggested corn syrup on pieces of wood? someone else suggested putting paper bags around the fruit? auwe! there's too many to do that.
    "chaos reigns within.
    reflect, repent and reboot.
    order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Re: fruit fly control?

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
    anybody got a natural/organic way to control fruit flies? they are stinging the mangoes. neighbor suggested corn syrup on pieces of wood? someone else suggested putting paper bags around the fruit? auwe! there's too many to do that.
    Get a first hand recommendation from someone who has had success with that method before you try it. We did it one year and every single mango fell off. Maybe something else went wrong (too much watering?), but I thought it was the paper bags.
    Maybe the paper bag method for mangos is the same as the "glass jars filled with water around the boarders of your yard to keep out dogs" ... people do it but the results are questionable.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
      Get a first hand recommendation from someone who has had success with that method before you try it. We did it one year and every single mango fell off. Maybe something else went wrong (too much watering?), but I thought it was the paper bags.
      Maybe the paper bag method for mangos is the same as the "glass jars filled with water around the boarders of your yard to keep out dogs" ... people do it but the results are questionable.

for sure we won't be doing the paper bag theory/method--too many and we wouldn't be able to get to the top ones.
      "chaos reigns within.
      order shall return."

Comment

Google for the UH Extension Service, I think they have a bait that can be used to capture the fruit flies. Also, keeping dropped fruit cleaned up is really important, including keeping dropped papaya cleaned up. Our papayas were being attacked by fruit flies that were breeding in the neighbors rotting papaya. We helped them clean up their mess, and that helped our crop.
        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

There are so many results if google "Fruit Fly Bait Trap."

They also sell the sticky thingys in garden supply stores.

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
            There are so many results if google "Fruit Fly Bait Trap."

They also sell the sticky thingys in garden supply stores.

Auntie Lynn

"fruit fly bait trap": did google that auntie: many results like you said.

just was wondering what methods natural/organic methods others were using and that worked. we do pick up falling fruit so that's not a problem. probably will have to go with the "sticky thingys".
            "chaos reigns within.
            order shall return."

Comment

Da way I feel today, I would go in your yard with my Pest Control Inspector (PK) and Whack Whack him and all the flying insects combined.

Foa FREE.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Time for MY medication.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                Da way I feel today, I would go in your yard with my Pest Control Inspector (PK) and Whack Whack him and all the flying insects combined.

Foa FREE.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Time for MY medication.

Auntie Lynn

i dunno auntie, he might just drop you off?!

glad to see that you still have a great sense of humor even though you're not feeling well. looks like PK might need some tylenol, too once you stop WHACK WHACKING him.
                "chaos reigns within.
                order shall return."

Comment

i dunno auntie, he might just drop you off?!

glad to see that you still have a great sense of humor even though you're not feeling well. looks like PK might need some tylenol, too once you stop WHACK WHACKING him.
                  No matter how sick I am, I always laugh and smile and will to my grave. Life has been wonderful to me. Pupule I am....I get away with a lot of things.

Love and ALOHA!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

well, no organic stuff to use. so, purchased something (forgot name) from ace. you have to get a gallon container, cut a hole in it and soak a piece of cloth with the chemical. the fruit flies fly in and can't get out. it works!
                    "chaos reigns within.
                    order shall return."

Comment

In CA the state is very concerned with fruit flies. If you have fruit trees on your property, they come out and set traps, then if they find even one fruit fly, the state comes with a bunch of sterile male fruit flies to release in your area. The idea is that the sterile males will prevent the flies from reproducing. I don't really understand it all, but that's how they do it there, and I don' know if it works, but maybe the state of Hawaii has a similar governmental department. you should contact the agriculture department and see if they have any advice for you.
                      ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

well, the stuff we got from ace is working. lots of flies won't be stinging the fruit anymore. however, the ones that the have already been stung, even just one itsy bitsy bite, are TERRIBLE when cut open. i don't eat them, but mom loves em. and, the neighbors keep asking.

p.s. i think this thread belongs in the workshop forum?! sorry.
                        "chaos reigns within.
                        order shall return."

Comment

Sounds like you're on top of things, but in case you haven't already found it, here's a link with all kinds of Hawaii fruit fly info:

http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/fruitfly/

The "grower education" link at the bottom takes you to all kinds of publications, videos, and the like.

I don't know if the traps would be considered strictly "organic" but at least you're not spraying anything directly onto your fruit. Good luck!

Comment

well, the stuff we got from ace is working. lots of flies won't be stinging the fruit anymore. however, the ones that the have already been stung, even just one itsy bitsy bite, are TERRIBLE when cut open. i don't eat them, but mom loves em. and, the neighbors keep asking.

p.s. i think this thread belongs in the workshop forum?! sorry.
                            I'll have to look for that next time I get to Ace. Gonna be good when tangerine season comes 'round in the fall. We also have poha, lilikoi and papaya so that trap should help a lot. Maybe I'll buy several.

Comment

mrbob: mahalo for the link.

d r e: it's actually a bottle of something and you have to make your own traps using a gallon plastic container. you then dip a piece of cloth into the stuff and it hangs above a water/soap solution. it definitely works. wish i could tell you what it's called, but i don't have anymore of it. they sting tangerines, too? didn't know that.
                              "chaos reigns within.
                              order shall return."

Comment

Working...
                              X