Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hawaiian Monk Seal? Call Your Legislator TODAY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hawaiian Monk Seal? Call Your Legislator TODAY!

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
    Of course one CAN, but it SHOULDN'T. I'm not sure, but I remember looking at the album-of-the-year winners in the past and verifying that each was a winner in its own category. I wasn't too diligent about it, though.
    Wait a minute, tho! If what you're saying is true (that the general field album of the year "should" be the winner in its genre category), then that means you think the general field nominees should automatically win their genre categories? Hmmm.

If that's the case, then why even have competition for this year's "best contemporary Jazz album," as Herbie Hancock's River: The Joni Letters is the only nominee in that particular category to also be on the general field album of the year. Similarly, why go through the process of selecting a "best country album" when Vince Gill's These Days is the only nominee in that group that is in the running for overall album of the year?
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
      Similarly, why go through the process of selecting a "best country album" when Vince Gill's These Days is the only nominee in that group that is in the running for overall album of the year?
      Yes; why indeed? Do you not agree with me that it doesn't make sense for the winner of "best album" not to be at least the best album in its own genre?

I can think of one exception: Let's say Shania Twain is nominated for best country album and best album. It may very well be that the album IS the best album of the year, but the voters don't consider it really a country album.

But that wouldn't apply here: Who's going to accuse the Monk Seal of not being truly a marine mammal?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

that's sealism, you sealist!

while the state's at it, they should not discriminate and go ahead with nominating official organisms for each class.
        Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
          while the state's at it, they should not discriminate and go ahead with nominating official organisms for each class.
          The Official Hawai`i State Pinniped. That leaves out the humpback whale, The Official Hawai`i State Cetacean (but it might annoy the walrus lobby).

Comment

Yes; why indeed? Do you not agree with me that it doesn't make sense for the winner of "best album" not to be at least the best album in its own genre?
            I can't argue against that logic. But the process by which the Grammys Awards are given out does not follow that line of thinking, since the nominees for the overall album of the year are made without any advance knowledge of the winners of the genre categories.

I would guess that if the Grammy committee thought like you do, they wouldn't make advance nominations for the general field album of the year until the individual genre awards are known. Then you would make those winners the nominees for the album of the year.

I can think of one exception: Let's say Shania Twain is nominated for best country album and best album. It may very well be that the album IS the best album of the year, but the voters don't consider it really a country album.
            She's a classic example of a "crossover" artist. Her music can't simply be pegged into one category. If you have to categorize her for the sake of categorizing, then most folks would consider her primarily a country artist. But it's an imperfect labeling. Same thing too with Amy Grant. Is she a Christian Gospel singer, or a Pop artist? Is Steely Dan's music "pop," or is it jazz, or maybe even R&B? Or is it a fusion of all of the above?

But that wouldn't apply here: Who's going to accuse the Monk Seal of not being truly a marine mammal?
            As Helen pointed out, monk seals spend a significant amount of their time on land, as well as in the ocean. Once again, if you have to categorize them for the sake of categorizing, then yes, they would fall under the marine mammal camp. But there is a wide, wide disparity between seals and whales.
            Last edited by Frankie's Market; February 8, 2008, 10:51 AM.
            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Re: Call Your Legislator TODAY! Reject SB2464 and HB2626!!!

Originally posted by zztype View Post
              I say we keep the humpback as the state marine mammal and adopt the Hawaiian monk seal as the official state seal.

There, all better!
              HeeHeeHee!!! It's good to belly laugh.
              I tried to quote the next couple of posts too, but was laughing too hard to figure it out!
              Cindy

Comment

If there's gonna be a distinction between marine and non-marine mammals, then I suggest the Kanaka Maoli be considered the State Mammal, Hawaiians are mammals too right?
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: Call Your Legislator TODAY! Reject SB2464 and HB2626!!!

Originally posted by cyleet99 View Post
                  I tried to quote the next couple of posts too, but was laughing too hard to figure it out!
                  If you were laughing that hard, clearly we were successful!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

So whatever happen to these bills? Did it pass or not?

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
                      So whatever happen to these bills? Did it pass or not?
                      http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...?billno=SB2464

SB2464 was enrollee to the Governor on 4/25/08
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Looks like nobody wants to be seen voting no for the "state seal."

Comment

Looks like scrivener's movement failed:

Hawaiian Monk Seal Designated Marine State Mammal
                          With the title, there's hope to save one of the world's most endangered species. Researchers say the Hawaiian monk seal has been around for more than 13 million years. but there's only about a thousand of them left in Hawaii, and the population keeps decreasing at a rate of four percent every year.
                          As with most government initiatives of similar importance, it was left to Lt. Gov. Duke Aiona to sign this one into law. He did chuckle about the distinction between "marine state mammal" and "state mammal."

Comment

Working...
                          X