Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Storm Systems

Originally posted by helen View Post
    And that's what some of us have been doing for the last a couple of days. Preparing beforehand. As it stands right now there is no official word that this storm is going to hit the island of Oahu within the next 36 hours.

Now anyone in the state who has been keeping up with current events know that there is this hurricane that is out there. And each person in their own way and/or style is going to prepare for this storm with whatever resources they have at their disposal.

So please don't worry about us.
    Of course I'm worried. My family still lives in Hawaii...and some of them are in Hilo. My son is in Hilo, visiting his Granny, and I KNOW she hasn't listened to a word I've said, about prepping, over the past few years.

The thing is, being prepped well beforehand not only saves stress, but also money. NOBODY can prep for any major disaster with just a few trips to an already crowded supermarket, much less pay for all that's needed. Prepping takes time and money and energy. Plus, given time to experiment and calm to think, mistakes can be rectified.

I've been watching Big Island hurricane shoppers....they're buying toilet paper and ramen noodles and bottled water. I hope they've thought of cooking fuel for that saimin. Bottled water is much more expensive that having a water storage system in place...plus the bottled stuff won't last long if you use it for cooking and washing, too.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Gecko, no anxiety attacks here, just a ton of caffeine and plenty of energy to be getting a lot done, meaning the usual Monday routine and this extra storm prep, and maybe also picking up on the energy from a bunch of extra calls and emails from caring mainlanders.

I can't speak for others, of course but can assure you that reading my own written words that anxiety is far removed from them. I use things like this to get a ton of extra work done, sorta like when company's a'comin and so heck, I go into overdrive.

That being said, now that I've seen Iniki's track in graphic....I know it really ain't over till it's past us and that anything can still happen.
      Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

OK what happened to the rest of the messages that were here? Did the board crash and get rebooted?
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
          OK what happened to the rest of the messages that were here? Did the board crash and get rebooted?
          Weird. I thought I needed to clear my cache or something. Definitely gone missing.

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon View Post
            Of course, if anyone had prepped BEFOREHAND, they would be able to do all the million and one little jobs that might be needed now...or maybe even simply sit back and watch the show in relative peace and tranquility.
            Our office is closed, so I'm going out for some emergency coffee and donuts! (essential morning...er, hurricane survival supplies)

Comment

OK, I just noticed these messages got re-arranged and put into a new thread.

Well just for the record, Flossie is downgraded to a category 2 storm.

Bulletin #24 @ 5AM

BULLETIN
              HURRICANE FLOSSIE ADVISORY NUMBER 24
              NWS CENTRAL PACIFIC HURRICANE CENTER HONOLULU HI EP092007
              500 AM HST TUE AUG 14 2007

...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...

...A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE BIG ISLAND OF HAWAII...

AT 500 AM HST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE FLOSSIE WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 16.9 NORTH...LONGITUDE 154.1 WEST OR ABOUT 205 MILES SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF HILO...HAWAII AND ABOUT 390 MILES SOUTHEAST OF HONOLULU.

FLOSSIE IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 13 MPH...AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH WITH HIGHER GUSTS. FLOSSIE IS A CATEGORY TWO HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. SOME WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 40 MILES FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 145 MILES.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 972 MB...28.70 INCHES.
              The weakening is a good trend.
              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

• Re: Hurricane Flossie

The eye is falling apart, which means Flossie is weakening ever-so-slightly, but it also expands the range for TSF winds, up to 145 miles now.
                Also note that just two days ago the prediction was for 8' to 10', and now is for 20' to 25'.
                Course appears to be wobbling slightly.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                  The eye is falling apart, which means Flossie is weakening ever-so-slightly, but it also expands the range for TSF winds, up to 145 miles now.
                  Also note that just two days ago the prediction was for 8' to 10', and now is for 20' to 25'.
                  Course appears to be wobbling slightly.
                  I'm not familiar enough with the dynamics of storms in this region, but we always worried when a storm slowed in forward motion. Of course, those storms did not have collapsing eyes. Slightly OT, but I think Shari Shima has done an outstanding job explaining the storm.

Comment

So what do you guys make of this? To me it looks like Maui is within the outskirts of this storm and the Big Island easily engulfed. Looks more eastern than I had thought it would be. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

They get a cloudy day. Just because the clouds are part of Flossie doesn't mean they will experience any usual weather. Oahu is expected to get 1-2 inch of rain. Maui looks to be the same distance from the track so I'd expect somewhere around the same. Just a windy rainy day.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                        They get a cloudy day. Just because the clouds are part of Flossie doesn't mean they will experience any usual weather. Oahu is expected to get 1-2 inch of rain. Maui looks to be the same distance from the track so I'd expect somewhere around the same. Just a windy rainy day.
                        that would work for me!
                        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal View Post
                          So what do you guys make of this?
                          For one thing you are looking at the image provided by the National Weather Service Office.

If you look at this image from the Central Pacific Hurricane Center for roughly the same time period you will see that the while Flossie is touching Maui it is the fringe of the storm.

Comment

The 8am advisory (24A) is out.

date and time (HST); advisory bulletin; lat long of eye; distance from Hilo; distance from Honolulu

08/13 11 am; #21; 15.3N 150.6W; 425 miles SE; 635 miles SE
                            08/13 2 pm; #21A; 15.6N 151.5W; 365 miles SE; 570 miles SE
                            08/13 5 pm; #22; 15.9N 152.0W; 330 miles SE; 535 miles SE
                            08/13 8 pm; #22A; 16.2N 152.5W; 295 miles SE; 500 miles SE
                            08/13 11 pm; #23; 16.4N 153.2W; 260 miles SE; 455 miles SE
                            08/14 2 am; #23A; 16.6N 153.5W; 240 miles SSE; 440 miles SE
                            08/14 5 am; #24; 16.9N 154.1W; 205 miles SSE; 390 miles SE
                            08/14 8 am; #24A; 17.0N 154.4W; 190 miles SSE; 370 miles SE

Comment

Anyone blogging about the storm from the Big Island?
                              just started: mililaniblog.com

Comment

Its Mauna Loa.

Hurricanes are altitude bound. We are going to get hammered in bad tropical storm weather, but hitting the wall like it will (considering it stays on the same course and not bounce off approx 150mi offshore) means that the eye is going to dissolve.

pax

Comment

Working...
                                X