X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do's and Dont's

Originally posted by Keanu View Post

Do Not

2) Use your horn unless you absolutely have to.
    Im not sure I agree with this one. Do you mean dont drive around like a tard honking at trees, bees, and grass or try not to honk ever? It seems to me that alot of people need to have their license revoked. Some tard was driving up Liliha, taking up both lanes and talking on his cell phone... HONK
    In fact I wish our cars were made like bumper cars so I could 'nudge' ppl.... hehe
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
      Anyone entering unfamiliar surroundings paralyzed by the fear of making a faux pas or two is going to sweat the wrong stuff. Being true to who you are, the product of your life to date, is valuable. Enter a new environment and adapt. But don't get too hung up on the social rules.

(And remember, anyone who tells you any "dos & don'ts" is going to hand you something enrobed in their own biases - just like this very posting. )
      Leo Lakio, I hear you, and understand 100% of what you are saying, thank you. I am not too worried about faux pas, as I am true to myself, and live by the golden rule, just feeling out the ground rules.

Thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by LeiKaina View Post
      Off topic...

TATTRAT, can I ask some Bermuda questions pwwwweasssssssse?

Have you seen Catherine Zeta-Jones in real life and is she as amazingly perfect looking in person? LOL.

Also, is it true that there are a lot of Portuguese people in Bermuda? I have heard that before.
      Ask away! Lol, I have never seen Catherine in person, though I have seen Micheal Douglas's house on a few occasions, he is one of the few well known native Bermudians in Hollywood. Ross Perot managed to buy a house in Tucker town, the guy that invented Velcro lived there, and also the Author of The Wizard of Oz, owned a small Island in the Royal harbor.

As for the Portuguese, yes there are. Bermuda was founded, but not settled, originally by Juan De Bermudez, and after that, both the Spanish and Portuguese used the island as a way station for provisions an restocking for ships on journey through the Atlantic, to the Caribbean.

Here is a link that has the history of BDA, as well as some nice pics.

The Portuguese influence is heavy on a majority of the fishing communities, and the food is stellar!
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

All right, Keanu! That was a great start. It occurs to me that our "You Might Be a Local If..." type threads would probably be good to review, too... provided the intent is to understand, and not pretend to be a local.

Do be up front that you're new and learning your way around, and most people will adjust their expectations accordingly. Don't try to pick up pidgin and Hawaiian and throw it around for authenticity. We can tell you're faking it.

Do learn to call them "aloha shirts," not "Hawaiian shirts."

Do not throw around the phrase "back in the states." Hawaii residents have a love-hate relationship in this department. On one hand, some may resent that we're a U.S. state. On the other, we hate it when people forget that we are.

Do realize that there are jerks, asshats and racists everywhere, even in paradise. Don't let it color your view of all the great people that call Hawaii home.

Do take your time. While there are harried, impatient, Type A corporate types here, you're more often than not going to find people chronically late for meetings, and find meetings run long because of random talkstory. The cashier may hold up your grocery trip because she's catching up with auntie, and people will stop in the middle of a lane or road for a spontaneous family reunion. People will yield the right of way when they don't have to, and trust me, it annoys some locals too. But, c'est la vie.

Do learn the differences between what American pop culture sees as Hawaiian culture and cuisine, and what the real thing is. Same goes for Chinese, Korean, Filipino, and the like. Putting pineapple on a pizza does not make it Hawaiian. We love our orange chicken, but we know it ain't authentic Chinese.

Do not jump headfirst into Native Hawaiian and sovereignty issues, no matter how passionately you feel about it or how aligned you may be with various causes. Even locals and Hawaiians disagree amongst themselves about these things, but no matter what side you're on, it often makes us bristle when someone elsedecides to speak up for us... at least not without a lifetime of learning and immersion. Do, however, educate yourself as best you can about these issues. You may eventually develop a solid and well-founded opinion on them, and find a way to contribute... I'd disagree with Keanu on telling you to simply not question Native Hawaiian programs, for example. But on Day 1, there are a lot of other complicated issues you can ponder.

By the by, I'll have to agree with Keanu on the horn thing (but we have a whole other thread for this). I can see where the pro-honkers are coming from, but if you're new here, why invite more bad karma than you have to?

Loved the "picking up Japanese Nationals" bit. Some folks see that as a recreational sport.

So. Are we doing any better?

Comment

Pzarquon, great input, thank you very much!

I loved the Japanese national remark too, though I think the Mrs.TATT might be a little against it.

...and yes, much better, thanks all!
          flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
          God

Comment

TATT - you would be bringing culinary expertise to the Islands, would you not? That's something right there that could serve you well as an introduction to a lot of circles, as food is a major part of life in Hawai`i - the mixed-plate of ethnic cuisine is unbelievable, and open to some creative cross-pollenation.

Just invite the members of HT to a feast after you settle in, and watch the doors open!

Comment

One more: not everyone born and/or living in Hawai'i is a Hawaiian just because the State is called Hawai'i. The only Hawaiians are those of kanaka maoli (Native Hawaiian) lineage. Everyone else who was born in Hawai'i is called a kama'aina or local. Newcomers are called malihini.

Do: make local friends asap. They will be invaluable in telling you where it's safe and where it's not safe to be.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                Newcomers are called malihini.
                And visitors, guests.

Learning how to pronounce Hawaiian words is easier than you might think, too - at least to a level where people will understand what you are saying, and vice versa. Five vowels, eight consonants, one additional diacritical mark. Some basic rules and guidlines to learn, and you'll have a lot of "a-HA" moments.

Comment

Thanks, Leo Lakio. Food is universal, that is why I love doing what I do. That is one of the things I am most looking forward too actually. The closest I have had to Pacific cuisine was when I was staying in Vancouver, BC. I really enjoyed the new food experiences, and I KNOW Hawaii will not disappoint.

As soon as we get settled in, I would love to do a house warming party or something. I'll take care of the food!

Please, DO tell me some places to check out...please Don't tell me the corporate franchise places, lol.
                  flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                  God

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
                    Please, DO tell me some places to check out...please Don't tell me the corporate franchise places, lol.
                    Start exploring HT's Kaukau Korner - you'll go wild!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                      One more: not everyone born and/or living in Hawai'i is a Hawaiian just because the State is called Hawai'i. The only Hawaiians are those of kanaka maoli (Native Hawaiian) lineage. Everyone else who was born in Hawai'i is called a kama'aina or local. Newcomers are called malihini.

Do: make local friends asap. They will be invaluable in telling you where it's safe and where it's not safe to be.

Miulang
                      Ahhh, thanks, very interesting.

I hope to make some friends quickly as well. One good thing is I have a childhood friend that lives in Honolulu, not far from where I will be, so I will know at least one person who can help me out.

And visitors, guests.

Learning how to pronounce Hawaiian words is easier than you might think, too - at least to a level where people will understand what you are saying, and vice versa. Five vowels, eight consonants, one additional diacritical mark. Some basic rules and guidlines to learn, and you'll have a lot of "a-HA" moments.
                      I must admit, reading the words is a little intimidating, but I will take your word for it.

thank you both!
                      flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                      God

Comment

Start exploring HT's Kaukau Korner - you'll go wild!
                        Awesome! thanks again!
                        flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                        God

Comment

I've never been there before but I hear Hula's on Kapahulu Avenue is a swinging joint. If you're looking for good food and good fun, Hula's is the place to be.

Comment

Keanu! Bad boy! There's a "Mrs. TATT," remember? I suspect he's not looking for something that ... flamboyant.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                              I've never been there before but I hear Hula's on Kapahulu Avenue is a swinging joint. If you're looking for good food and good fun, Hula's is the place to be.

My lady and I are certainly not opposed to some good drink specials, and shakin' bones for the evening, every now and then. I just get "crowded" out sometimes, and look for something a little more laid back and mellow.

Thanks all for the info!
                              flickr

An email from God:

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
                              God

Comment

[...]Please, DO tell me some places to check out...please Don't tell me the corporate franchise places, lol.
                                La Mariana Sailing Club off of Sand Island Access Rd. for sunset drinks. It's one of a kind!

Keo's Thai Cuisine in Waikiki is another one of my favorites. A feast for the eyes...a party in the mouth!

Ok...ok...I'll go back to bed now!

Comment

Working...
                                X