Supermarket Take Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermarket Take Out

i was wondering...since i dont cook that much... whats your favorite supermarket take out on Oahu? i was in the times supermarket today and they were grilling a nice looking steak ..other times i have had their huli huli chicken which is not too bad.

the markets in Hilo have some fabulous take out stuff... super good lau lau and very inexpensive compared to a resturant.

i am always looking for good food that i can run and get when i have been working too many hours and i am exhausted...AND get my shopping done.
    so... supermarket take out is a good thing for me if i can find a good one.

any suggestions?

Re: Supermarket Take Out

Liliha Times SuperMarket sells a great Roast Beef Plate with Mash Potato or Rice and Corn. Also, gravy and soda for $5.00. Very soft, tasty and filling.

The Mushrrom Chicken is quite delicous.

The Steak is tasty but tough. They pride is using quality beef. However, for some reason the Steak is too hard to chew and digest.

I haven't tried the Salmon.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Foodland Beretania has a great deli counter and pretty good poke selections. Also, on Tuesdays, they have fresh grilled steak plates or by the pound. They also do chicken & shrimp grilled. I think Times also has the grilled steak but its a different group that does it. It's about 6.95 for the plate of steak, rice, toss salad & free soda.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I stopped by the Beretania Foodland for the steak but I came in too late. They finish selling it at 6:30 pm and I got there after 7:30 pm.

Comment

Star Markets have their new hot foods counter. I think they're done renovating all of their stores to have this. The food selection is quite good, but I think it costs $6.45/lb. The first time I ate food from there, I didn't check the price--and my lunch came out to 13-somethin'.
          Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

ah Helen, I promise - it's worth it to go back next week. the steak is so tender & tasty! I usually buy by the pound and put some in the freezer so I always ask for rare. Then when I reheat, it cooks to a "medium" kind. It's really good to saute with some peppers & onions and make steak fajitas. Plus, $8.95 for a pound of already cooked & sliced steak is a pretty good price. Good luck NEXT week! I meant to go by tonite but forgot it was Tuesday - I usually go on Thurs or Friday now cause they have free wine tastings
            Last edited by anapuni808; October 3, 2006, 09:16 PM.
            "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
            – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I kind of work late on Tuesdays so it might be until next month before I can try the steak. Did have the meatloaf and the staff was nice enough to heat it up in the microwave for me.

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
                i was wondering...since i dont cook that much... whats your favorite supermarket take out on Oahu?
                Now, no yell at me. But is it cheating to even mention the 99 Market? Yeah, I know that food mall's eating choices aren't specifically part of the "supermarket."

But oftentimes, I've gone there to get take-out for Palama Mama and me.

BTW you lucky you live Hawaii. 99 Markets from San Diego to the Bay Area to Las Vegas only offer Chinese food ... usually Cantonese, I've been told ... I no know for sure.
                Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

I'll second the Foodland steak plates. We get it on Fridays down here and it smells sooo good when I drive by (and it's really good, too). The line to get it is always long, but worth it. I've had the garlic shrimp and I dont know if I'd get it again; I mean, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't super. They also have some interesting sandwiches in the deli, like the an expensive PB&J on fancy bread, and I think it was a mozzerella and portabello sandwich?

The Star Market hotbar is all right. I normally get a cup of soup (chicken noodle is my fav - I think it's a standard chicken noodle offered to supermarkets since the same kind was available to us in St Louis and it was my favorite there, too, so I was soo stoked to see it here). Yeah, the foodbar is pretty expensive. Like I got 1 cabbage roll (the size of my fist) that was like $4.50 - it was all right and for some reason, I had a hankering for it, so I didn't mind paying. It's also where I get my Mexican Rice for nachos and burritos, but they don't always have it.

Safeway sandwiches are always yummy, like the ones you have to stand in line forever for them to make. And they also have some nice soups.

Comment

Is the Beretania Foodland Deli still sell the steak?

Did notice on Monday that the Ala Moana Foodland Deli sold roast beef.

Comment

I think it's sold there on Tuesdays. I usually get just the steak, freeze half of it and use it to make fajitas. Because i re-heat it with the onion & bell peppers, I ask for it "rare".
                      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by OnoLoa View Post
                        since i dont cook that much, whats your favorite supermarket take out on Oahu?
                        I tend to go to Ala Moana's Foodland mainly because in most cases I end there by TheBus on the way home. I usually get a pound of the various salads like the pasta salad, potatoe (and/or mac) salad or cole slaw and they should last me about three days or so.

For main course they have chicken, meat loaf or roast beef. The chicken is always warm while the meat loaf and roast beef you need to warm it up the microwave.

Seafood is located in another of the store.

They also have packaged meals ready to be heated for around $6 or $7.

Comment

Working...
                        X