June Jones' first season as SMU coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June Jones' first season as SMU coach

It looks like it's gonna be a tough season for JJ. Looking at their upcoming schedule, Texas State a couple weeks ago has a good chance as being the only victim of JJ's offense this year.

I think his first season at UH, he benefited from pretty good VonAppen recruits that saw some NFL time (Dwight Carter, Jeff Ulbrich, Manly Kanoa, Dan Robinson, Kaulana Noa, Adrian Klemm, Vince Manuwai, Keenan Forney). SMU probably does not have similar talent falling into his lap.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Re: June Jones' first season as SMU coach

With a record of one win and three defeats, UH is keeping up with the Joneses'.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      With a record of one win and three defeats, UH is keeping up with the Joneses'.
      I'd have to agree. One win against a FCS team. McMackin needs to realize that the players he inherited don't have the best skill sets. And most importantly, dude needs to stick to one quarterback. If he flip flops any more, I'm referring to him as Coach Chancleta.

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        McMackin needs to realize that the players he inherited don't have the best skill sets. And most importantly, dude needs to stick to one quarterback. If he flip flops any more, I'm referring to him as Coach Chancleta.
        Is it really his fault? Graunke was injured and couldn't play, so what was McMackin supposed to do? Maybe I'm missing something.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Nope, your not. 3 of the 4 QBs don't really know the system, so that leaves Tyler, and he's having a tough time with lost practice/injury, even tho he's gung ho.

With last years team, a lot of the winning record was because of over-acheiving thru the rush of the 'what could be's' thanx to Colt and June. And they did exceptionally well, until they hit the BCS wall which glaringly showed their weaknesses.

Coach Mack is great for the UH, and in time things will improve. All this Von Appen comparison is pathetic. We're in major rebuild mode. If they can improve the recruiting from home base and outside, they'll be contenders again.

But the Warriors need to act like warriors, especially when it's not going good, not get down and give up, like has too often been the case before and is now resurfacing. If you're gonna do something like the Ha'a in front of the world, then you'd better live up to such actions or you risk baffoonery.

Urben Meyer said the Warriors hit as hard as anybody they've gone against, so there is plenty of pros to be happy about, but the cons need plenty of work to iron out.

This will probably end up as a toss off season.
          Last edited by Ron Whitfield; September 28, 2008, 02:34 PM.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            Nope, your not. 3 of the 4 QBs don't really know the system, so that leaves Tyler, and he's having a tough time with lost practice/injury, even tho he's gung ho.

With last years team, a lot of the winning record was because of over-acheiving thru the rush of the 'what could be's' thanx to Colt and June. And they did exceptionally well, until they hit the BCS wall which glaringly showed their weaknesses.

Coach Mack is great for the UH, and in time things will improve. All this Von Appen comparison is pathetic. We're in major rebuild mode. If they can improve the recruiting from home base and outside, they'll be contenders again.

But the Warriors need to act like warriors, especially when it's not going good, not get down and give up, like has too often been the case before and is now resurfacing. If you're gonna do something like the Ha'a in front of the world, then you'd better live up to such actions or you risk baffoonery.

Urben Meyer said the Warriors hit as hard as anybody they've gone against, so there is plenty of pros to be happy about, but the cons need plenty of work to iron out.

This will probably end up as a toss off season.
            No one compared VonAppen to Mack here.

flickr

Comment

I listen/read more than this thread.

Comment

I listen/read more than this thread.
                Cool. I observe and interacted with players from VonAppen's and Jones' regimes rather than get information from the media.

flickr

Comment

Heard it on the streets and had some sad sacks on the radio with Curren after the game last night and they too were doing it already. It's way too easy of a shot, let alone too early for such negativity.

I think we lucked out and doubt we could have done better than Coach Mack.
                  I hope he stays til he's an old man.

Comment

Heard it on the streets and had some sad sacks on the radio with Curren after the game last night and they too were doing it already. It's way too easy of a shot, let alone too early for such negativity.

I think we lucked out and doubt we could have done better than Coach Mack.
                    I hope he stays til he's an old man.
                    Eww, I started to avoid his post-game radio show circa 2000. Too many drunk people calling in with inebriated judgments.

flickr

Comment

Not that way any more. I usually enjoy the wrap-up, but after a loss, it kinda sux no matter what.

Comment

SMU completed a 1 win and 11 losses season. It has been about 10 years since June Jones' first year with UH. He had a worse to first turnaround with the UH Warriors. Back then, How many college football teams ran that spread offense? Now, a lot of college football teams run the spread offense.

Comment

Sure hope the two schools can hook up some games soon. That'd be a good rivalry, and help get us some Texas recruits.

Comment

Thats what he gets for leaving for the money. He should have just stayed and make a good name for himself at UH.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              SMU completed a 1 win and 11 losses season. It has been about 10 years since June Jones' first year with UH. He had a worse to first turnaround with the UH Warriors. Back then, How many college football teams ran that spread offense? Now, a lot of college football teams run the spread offense.
                              Spread? Quite a lot...BYU, the academies, just about every Big 12, Big 10, and Texas area school.

Run and Shoot? Not so much.

The difference: a Spread uses h-backs and tight ends.

flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X