Musical Instruments?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Musical Instruments?

Anyone learning to play guitar? I am I still suck at it but practice practice practice. Can anyone here play any intrument?
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Musical Instruments?

Piano is the only instrument I've consistently played since I was old enough to sit at the piano. Never took lessons, just sort of play around, but I'm pretty good. When I moved here from Ohio I was devestated to leave my digital piano behind, she was my baby. I bought a replacement but it's not nearly as good.

I've played with guitar on and off but never really got into it. Played drums for a few years. Played clarinet, flute and tenor sax in middle school band, and for a few years in high school I played the violin.
    Four Thousand Miles (blog) | MacRatLove (comic)
    Better Holes and Garbage (rats) | Perfectly Inadequate (music)

Comment

I was a drum major in high School, my major was percussion

I miss playing the drums, but I do play guitar(15 years), Bass(12 years), Piano a bit, and saxophone...but I can't whistle to save my life.
      flickr

An email from God:
      To: People of Earth
      Date: 9/04/2007
      Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
      God

Comment

Awesome Pedro !

I love guitars. I play electrics, acoustics, and basses. I fiddle with the keyboards, but I wouldn't say I'm any good at it.

I'm generally a rock guitarist, but I can play classical to metal. You can click the link on my signature if you want to hear one of my guitar instruentals called Tahiti Sunset. Ironically, I just joined an existing band called The Sunset Band. We're all excited about the sound coming from this band. We're going to play at one of the Sunset on the Beach nights in Waikiki at the end of October, so save the date. I just cant seem to get away from "sunset". LOL

If you ever need advice on gear and guitars, just let me know. I'll be more than happy to help you out. Dont be discouraged about being "good" or "bad" as a guitar player. It's all about the love of music and the instrument. I'll jam with you any day

DD
        www.myspace.com/chrislunainstrumentals

Comment

Jimi doesn't need to keep a watch over his shoulder for me on guitar, but I've loved 'lap' steel guitar for almost as long, and am starting to get good enuf to where I'm ready to start really learning. I just wish my teacher, Jerry Byrd, was still alive to continue doing so.
          The steel was invented here, in Laie, Oahu, in the late 1800s, and is an incredible instrument, so simple, yet so versitile and expressionable.
          Anyone wishing to learn is encouraged to contact myself, to learn the correct basics and/or find a good teacher (there are very few...).

Chris, even tho the tune cut out and then stopped, it sounded quite good!
          Hope to revisit soon and hear more.
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

So far I am starting out with an Ibanez acoustic guitar. I bought it for a hundred bucks it's apart of a starter pack series. I mean it's comfortable and fun to learn with. I haven't gone far from the basic I am trying to get my fingers adjusted to the wide fret board as oppose to the Ukulele which was a smaller one. My fingers are huge so they're getting well adjusted. I guess I sort of got inspired to play after trying my hands on guitar hero. After getting so so with it I figured I might as well get good with the real thing ya know? Having bragging rights on a video game at a bar is cool, but being able to do the real thing is even better.

As for the Uke I was okay but I never got into it other than the strumming part of it as for the guitar I'm in it for the long haul.

Comment

Guitar, Piano, Drums, Trumpet, Harmonica.

Decent at guitar. Been playing since 14. Love the drums, but don't own a set. Been in a few bands, nothing serious. This thread makes me want to pick up the ax and grind.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Started on the baritone horn in 6th grade, switched to trombone in high school, and continued through college in the UH symphonic wind ensemble. Played in various municipal bands in the cities I lived in on the mainland and Japan.

Now I play bass in LoveChile, a blues/rock band: http://www.lovechilemusic.com

Comment

Studied classical piano from infancy through the last day of high school. Taught myself to play all the woodwinds. I am currently trying to teach myself the Ukulele. I love all instruments, but I am better at their construction and design than in actually playing them.

I am also really good on a synthesizer (and the physics behind it) - although there are those who will argue that it is an instrument.

Comment

Does playing Guitar Hero help in your skills to play a real guitar?

Comment

Since I am getting into playing guitar and all I've always wondered is why my dad or my brothers for that matter had so many guitars and always wanted to get another when they couldn't afford it. I mean we would go to the guitar store and they'd sit there like little kids drooling at the candy store staring at nothing but guitars. I usually got bored pretty quick, cause they'd be there trying every expensive guitar on the rack playing a couple songs on each one of them. Now I sort of know each guitar has a richer or deeper sound than others.

Any body has a fender stratocaster? I heard there's the American made version and than there's the Mexican version. I talked to a friend of mines at work and he say's that the Mexican one sound so so while my older brother say's it sounds like crap. I heard the better version are the American made versions but dang they're expensive. For those that play guitar whats your personal preference?

Comment

Just got done with a 20 minute session with the daughter unit. She is learning E, A, and D, and the pentatonic scale in A. At 7 yo, I'd say she is about 7 years ahead of my learning curve.

Makes me so happy, as a Daddy, to be teaching the DU music. She can play a little piano already, but guitar is where my heart is.
                        FutureNewsNetwork.com
                        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I took piano lessons as a small child (7-8). My dad taught me guitar basics when I was a young teen. Interesting...as he'd never had a lesson in his life! He was a great teacher. I haven't touched either instrument since my early 20s. Dunno why!

Oh wait...I took conga drum lessons in my 40s. Does anyone remember Marla from Harry's Music? Fun, cute gal who was also on the music scene at that time (mid-late 1980s). I LOVE percussion!

Comment

I started playing clarinet in the 5th grade. When I got to high school, I played clarinet in the marching season and taught myself how to play oboe my junior year during Christmas break and played oboe for concert season. After college, I played in city bands and now I don't play anymore

I've always wanted to learn to play guitar but I just couldn't get the hang of it because I keep feeling like my hands are too small (maybe the guitar is too big?). I bought my son a ukulele (he's 5mo old hehe) and I've been trying to teach myself that from the lil book that came with it.

I love playing music. I hope my kid(s) are into it, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                              Since I am getting into playing guitar and all I've always wondered is why my dad or my brothers for that matter had so many guitars and always wanted to get another when they couldn't afford it. I mean we would go to the guitar store and they'd sit there like little kids drooling at the candy store staring at nothing but guitars. I usually got bored pretty quick, cause they'd be there trying every expensive guitar on the rack playing a couple songs on each one of them. Now I sort of know each guitar has a richer or deeper sound than others.
                              Your dad and brothers had what enthusiasts call "GAS" (gear acquisition syndrome). Each guitar and amp is different. Even guitars of the same make, model, and year can be quite different (in tone, for example).

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                              Any body has a fender stratocaster? I heard there's the American made version and than there's the Mexican version. I talked to a friend of mines at work and he say's that the Mexican one sound so so while my older brother say's it sounds like crap. I heard the better version are the American made versions but dang they're expensive. For those that play guitar whats your personal preference?
                              I've got an American Deluxe Ash body Strat and it's a thing of beauty (in respect to finish, playability, and tone). It's also about as heavy as a cynder block. Well, not quite, but . . . I'd get an alder (I think) body as they're much lighter albeit with less sustain. The Mexican Strats are nice for the money. Modern construction techniques make decent quality guitars at reasonable prices available to almost any budget. The American Deluxe has Samarian Cobalt Noiseless pickups and they are just as quiet as humbuckers. No buzzing or hissing whatsoever. The single coil pickups on Strats are famous for their tone and their noisiness, until recently. Now you can have the best of both worlds, but I think they're only on the upper end models. Check out a Washburn WI66. You can get a used one on ebay for about $500, maybe less. Great guitar for the price. Nice Seymor Duncan pickups. Similar to a Les Paul Standard. Not finished as nicely (primarily in the fretboard inlays and headstock binding, which a standard doesn't have anyway), but at least equal in playability and probably tone too, for about a third or less of the price. Paul Reed Smith Student Edition guitars are good buys too, IMO. I haven't played an Ibanez lately, but they used to make very playable guitars for a good price. A lot depends on what kind of music you want to make. Certain equipment lends itself to certain styles.

I haven't played in what must be 6 or 7 months due to overuse symptoms and I plugged in for the first time a couple nights ago. Now I'm a total bucket of rust, stumblin' around the fretboard, but a couple months of a half hour or hour a day will bring it back. I've lost all of the callouses on my fingertips, so it even hurts to play too much right now. Get yourself some good callouses and go an hour a day and you'll progress fast. Guaranteed. Lots of serious players will tell you that missing even a day will cause you to lose a little ground. Another thing, for me anyway, is that the learning isn't linear. I'll get stuck on a creative plateau and then eventually breakout and make new gains in a burst.

I'm rambling.

Comment

Working...
                              X