Obama Administration Takes Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Obama Administration Takes Shape

Didn't mean to rile you on this issue, and I couldn't care less if Obama smokes.
    But I smoked for 10 years as a kid and finally threw them in the trash, never to smoke or care to again. No problem. It's a head trip.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Back on topic, the New York Times heaps praise on President-elect Obama’s choice of Gen. Shinseki to lead the VA in their op-ed this morning.
      A General for the War at Home

Published: December 9, 2008

One excellent way to show your concern for wounded veterans is not to make so many of them. Gen. Eric Shinseki knew this when, as the Army chief of staff, he told Congress on the eve of the Iraq invasion that several hundred thousand soldiers would be needed to handle the occupation.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        But I smoked for 10 years as a kid and finally threw them in the trash, never to smoke or care to again. No problem. It's a head trip.
        One would ask why you picked it up in the first place.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
          I agree but will add...why does ANYONE pick it up in the first place? I guess, however, that can be asked about caffeine, alcohol, drugs, shopping, sex...not to mention chocolate!

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
            1967 was my year of change/rebellion, and at 12 years old, time to be stupid. Faked a note from my uncle and went to the lil store and got a pack of Camel non-filters and I was on my way to fame and glory. Got into speed and booze that year too, went to a 'love-in' at Elysian Park, met a girl..., then smoked pot and saw The Doors.
            Ah, to be stupid again...

Oh oh, better dig, here comes TuNnL, the HT off-topic rent-a-cop!

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
              But he has not quit smoking. And I think a President should be able to make the rules.

So repeal the rule about No Smoking in the White House. After all, in a time of war, and economic crisis, we don't need a leader who is "nic'in" out.
              You know when I first read this comment, Tim, I thought you it was just the usual sarcastic drunkenness HT has come to know and love(hate). But these “crusader” type groups really are giving President-elect Obama a hard time because he lights up a fag once in awhile. These people need to get a life. Being the most powerful leader in the industrialized world, means you need to get the job done any way possible. Heck, John F. Kennedy even broke an international trade embargo to get his fix (Cuban cigars).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Well TuNnL, I have made it pretty clear to all that I am a supporter of smokers rights, even though I do not smoke ciggy's myself. Must be the libertarian in me.

Another thing that is chaffin my hide right now is the hubbub over the black/white issue. This is just another stupid argument over ethnicity exactly like what we have here in Hawaii.

If you think it matters what your ethnicity is, or what color somebody is, or who their parents were, or by some measure of those components you think you are special, deserving, or somehow different from anybody else, then you are ignorant.

One Planet.
                All Human.

Anything beyond that is merely culture.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

But he has not quit smoking. And I think a President should be able to make the rules.

So repeal the rule about No Smoking in the White House.
                  Fat chance of that happening during an Obama administration. And believe it or not, Obama himself would probably be the very first one to disagree with you, Tim.

Ya' see, older daughter Malia has asthma. She is very sensitive to dust, dander, and yes, ciggie smoke. Now take the time to think about it for a moment. Unless you've been living like a hermit, you must have heard about the news stories concerning the Obama family's search for a breed of dog that would not trigger Malia's allergies. Now, would it make sense for Barack to go through that much trouble looking for such a dog for Malia's sake,..... then turn around and start puffing smoke in the White House? Sorry Tim, but your logic there totally breaks down.
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

And you sir have no concept of the power of nicotine addiction. It is more powerful than the maternal instinct. It is more powerful than any parental instinct. It is even more powerful than the instinct for self-preservation.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

And you sir have no concept of the power of nicotine addiction. It is more powerful than the maternal instinct. It is more powerful than any parental instinct. It is even more powerful than the instinct for self-preservation.
                      Apparently, you have no concept of how an asthmatic reacts the very moment when they get a whiff of smoke. (I know. I have a sister who has asthma.) Obviously, you can think whatever you want of the President-elect. OTOH, I'm pretty sure that he would not subject his daughter to spells of coughing and labored breathing for his own selfish pleasure.

And contrary to what you claim, I know a number of smokers who won't smoke inside their own homes, due to consideration for the non-smoking members of their familiy.
                      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Oh pleeaaazzze.

People make choices. Even addicted nicotine users. The smoker might CHOOSE to put their own addiction over the health of their child, but that is indeed a choice.

Or, a smoker might choose to continue to smoking but make sure to NOT expose their child to the smoke. That too is a choice.

Or, a smoker might choose to quit smoking. That too is a choice.

But really now, KT, even an addicted smoker is making a CHOICE if they decide to smoke around a child. The cigarette is not lighting itself up around a child, nor forcing a parent to do so through some overwhelming addictive action.

Just like a bar fight, the same advice goes for a smoker with children in the home, "Take it outside".
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

But again, it's not a major physical addiction, it's a mental addiction.
                          The mind of the smoker is the powerful deterant to quiting. Otherwise how do you explain the millions of us who've decided on the spot that it was fini, pau, done and over with, never to be thot of again. You don't simply reverse a physical addiction in an instant.

Comment

FWIW...my dad quit a 2-3 pack a day, 63 year habit (Camels, no less!), cold turkey. And he remained a non-smoker even while my mom sat next to him, blowing smoke in his face for at least another 5 years before she finally quit.

Comment

Sooooo...anybody got any more thoughts on the topic of the thread itself, or are we done with it for now?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                                Sooooo...anybody got any more thoughts on the topic of the thread itself, or are we done with it for now?
                                Oops...thanks for the reminder, LL. Must admit I paid no attention to the thread title and thought I was in the smoking thread!

Now...what is your definition of true love?

Comment

Working...
                                X