Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oahu power outage for 12/26/08 to 12/27/08

Stuck in elevators, no water, no restaurants, no nothin'.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Re: So...I hear you guys get no power?

No forget dis:
    http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthr...light=pandemic

It's not just for pandemics, but all kine.

(remember the toilet bucket!)
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Put on your Night Goggles!

Comment

That's news to me. What happened?

EDIT: Ah here it is. http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../81226054/1352

Comment

Here is the story.

Do I hear crickets on this site?
          Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

Very nice to know:

http://www.starbulletin.com/news/200..._disaster.html

Now, there's da story.
            Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

It would have been embarrassing if the power was out for a few days, with Obama here and everything. Must not be fun, being his security detail, when the power is out.

Star gazing was a little fun, without all the light pollution. I tried taking a few long exposures of the stars, but it was cloudy in our area

Of course, people were bored and started popping fireworks. Poor firefighters were rushing all over the place. Maybe it wasn't so much fires but people stuck in elevators?

The cool thing about the power outage was to see how far my flashlight could throw It lit the side of a building about a 100 yards away. Once I did that, I saw other flashlights beaming around

The funny thing is how even the crazy people were quiet when the power was out. Perhaps they realized how dependent we are on electricity, and when it goes out for long periods of time, it's a Bad Thing.
              "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
              "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
              "
              Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Events like this should help people see that the GRID is an antiquated way of powering a community.

Independent, point sourced, power generation and storage is the wave of the future.

Solar Panels on every home, elec. storage in the garage, cell phones, satellite TV................

Pretty soon, no more power poles. And no cables in your sunset view.

The GRID is dying a slow, painful death.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Power was restored to the Salt Lake area around 3 this morning. It was a pleasant sight to see our hallway light on and alarm clock blinking when we woke up 4 hours later!

Thanks to pzarquon and the rest of the Twitter faithful for keeping those without KSSK informed last night. I was one of the idiots who tried to go toward the light last night (Kapolei) only to see the lights go off as we were already on Makakilo Dr. Since we were desperate for food, we braved the roads to Bob's BBQ on Dillingham, but the lines went to the crosswalk! Finally made it back home around 9:30, but not after we were allowed into Safeway to buy the essentials. Mahalo to the awesome employees of Salt Lake Safeway for keeping things quick and organized. They were running on 45 percent last night, and even took all forms of payment.

Went to bed early, but not until after the BF decided to make shadow puppets on the high rise condo next to us, setting off howling dogs everywhere!

Cable and internet is still out. Per pzarquon's twitter updates, Mililani, Nuuanu, East Oahu, and I think the Windward Side are still out.

Hope all the HTers are okay!
                  Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                  We're not here to mess around
                  Boston, you know we love you madly
                  Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                  Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                  You know we couldn't live without you
                  Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Any ways I live here in snowy Utah and while at work I recieved this text by my dad stating hawaii had a black out. I started laughing and I know that was kind of mean but I text him back better a black out than a white out. Christmas was very beautiful no snow and later on at six a blizzard came plowing on through. My goodness the roadways were undriveable unless you like taking risk. I couldn't see through the fog and the snow coming down pretty hard. It caked on the roadways pretty good, so good that there were a few cars that spun out and went onto the side of the road. While that happened my furnace gave out cause the snow covered the pipe where the smoke can vent out so I like shivered through the whole night. Remembering all that crap I imagined myself back in the comfort of the island in a warm tropical black out. Made me miss it more and more. Oh well just my uneventful rantings don't mind me though.
                    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Lei Liko View Post
                      Thanks to pzarquon and the rest of the Twitter faithful for keeping those without KSSK informed last night.
                      I, on the other hand, want to thank Julia Norton Dennis and the KSSK crew for their excellent coverage. It was interesting to see the pandemonium around town last night. Congrats to KGMB9, who apparently learned their lesson from last time — this time they had backup generator power (and I guess, a fully-functional newscast for the handful on the leeward coast who had both electricity and cable).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                      USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

What a fun power outage!! We had just gotten home when the power went, so we were a little disoriented for a minute, but we found the candles, flashlights, batteries, and beer pretty quickly in the dark.

Ate some Christmas leftovers (thanks, SG!) by candlelight, then we did what you do when the neighborhood is dark - go walk around!! It was fun to meet up with other neighbors who had the same idea. By the time we were mostway down the street it became obvious that nobody had power as far as we could see, which was Waimanalo to MCBH.

Went to the car and hung out in the driveway, charging cellphones, drinking beer, listening to KSSK. I'd like to thank KSSK too, their coverage of the events was super informative, even funny sometimes. I loved the 'man on the street' reports. After Mufi's 12 hour estimate report, we got the portable radio and moved the party to the patio. Some neighbor shot a bunch of very pretty fireworks, and there were tons of not so pretty very loud fireworks all over here.

After more beer, we thought it would be fun to call some of our friends and see what they were doing. I was so surprised - most of the people I talked to had no idea what was going on - so we started relaying info whenever new news came across the radio. Ate more leftovers, laughed at some of the kooks who were calling the station, watched amazing lightning, generally it was a really fun night!

Our power came back on sometime around 6 this morning. Yay! Daytime with no power is not as much fun...
                        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Yeah, it was fun to stand outside looking at the stars and chatting a little with neighbors. My young nephew was at a loss as to what to do without the tv, computer, and such but we had a good time especially because our family members were all home and safe.

Comment

Spent the evening reading and playing board games with our daughter. Went to bed just when P&P decided to leave the rest of the evening to the regular crew, around 11ish. Wife said the power went back on around 2am.

Funny thing is that electric storm passed right over us. That last lightning strike was the brightest and loudest, then the lights went out. There was no more thunder after that. Totally silent. Then of course the neighbors with crap for brains started lighting off their damned aerials. Was almost like New Year's Eve out here.

Comment

Working...
                            X