iPod 1st gen. - what 4 do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod 1st gen. - what 4 do?

I was planning on letting the whole i trip pass on til the next big thing, but suddenly I've got one and it's so old there's not much found in a google to tell me what good it is. What has been found to be so great about them other than basic ease of portability etc., any new-found bennies/sectrets?

Got it plugged into my laptop to make sure it's charged, but it never gave a bloop or any signal that it was recognized. Should it have?

Experienced and cons about them?

There are supposed to be LED indicators, I see none. Where?

I'm able to use it as a flash drive, right?

I read that this unit gives better bass response than later models, that's a plus!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: iPod 1st gen. - what 4 do?

What kind of iPod are you referring to? Classic, Shuffle, Nano? Each of them had first generations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
      Got it plugged into my laptop to make sure it's charged, but it never gave a bloop or any signal that it was recognized. Should it have?

Experienced and cons about them?

There are supposed to be LED indicators, I see none. Where?

I'm able to use it as a flash drive, right?

I read that this unit gives better bass response than later models, that's a plus!
      Sorry for the 'tupid question, but you did download the Ipod software onto your computer first, right?

Mine has no LED indicators, the screen just lights up.

Not sure what you mean by "use it as a flash drive." You can download music from your computer to the device.

Which model?
      Peace, Love, and Local Grindz

People who form FIRM opinions with so little knowledge only pretend to be open-minded. They select their facts like food from a buffet. David R. Dow

Comment

It's the Shuffle.

Yup, loaded.

No screen, just a jog wheel, usb and earphone.

Should be able to store any data, I'd think.

Comment

What version of the iTunes software do you have loaded on your computer?

You may want to check out the iPod Shuffle entry on Wikipedia to confirm what you got is a first generation iPod Shuffle.

Speaking for myself I have a second generation iPod Shuffle so I have no direct experience in dealing with what a first generation iPod Shuffle can or cannot do.
          Last edited by helen; February 18, 2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

you may need to reboot it... i have an original as well from a garage sale.
            i had to re set it ( i forget how) but google might help. it now works fine.
            the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

I dl'ed the latest itunes updated version, but it seems the ipod resets won't work with Vista on my 1st gen. I might have to use a different computer to get'er done, that sux.

Comment

Could be the built in battery is dead... beyond recharging.
                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
                  Could be the built in battery is dead... beyond recharging.
                  I was afraid of that, but it takes tons of use to get to that point.

Comment

How to Reset an iPod
                    Fix your iPod - the first step

No matter which iPod model you're using, if you're having unknown problems the 5 steps we outline will often return your iPod to working condition.

The Five R's. as Apple refers to them are: Reset, Retry, Restart, Reinstall and Restore. These steps will often whip your iPod back into shape.

We'll start with iPod Reset - the simplest and then go through the other steps if needed.

•Note: When you reset iPod all your music and files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost. Date and time is preserved (unless the iPod reset itself because it had no power and then was reconnected to power). Other customized settings, such as Bookmarks, On-The-Go Playlists, Shuffle, Backlight timer, and so forth are preserved from the last time the hard drive turned on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to unfreeze and reset an iPod touch.

1.Recharge - If you see this screen or the screen says, "Charging. Please wait...", keep iPod touch connected so it continues charging.
                    Note:
                    * Use a high-power USB port such as the one on your computer, or use your iPod touch AC adapter (sold separately).
                    * Don't use the USB port on your keyboard because it is a low-power port and iPod touch will not charge.
                    2.Restart - Try restarting iPod touch. To turn it off, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPod touch. To turn iPod touch on, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Does iPod touch appear frozen or stuck? Try pressing and holding the Home button for 6 seconds to close a frozen application. Then try restarting iPod touch again.
                    Reset - To reset iPod touch, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time until you see the Apple logo.
                    4.Remove Content - If iPod touch is not working as expected, it may be due to some of the content synced to it. Try selectively removing certain content that may be causing unexpected behavior such as songs, contacts, calendars, photos, videos, or podcasts. To remove content, connect iPod touch via USB and use iTunes to change the sync settings. Click on iPod touch in the Source list, and select each tab to change what content is synced and click Apply.
                    5.Reset Settings - Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Note: This will reset all settings. No data or media will be deleted.
                    If that does not resolve your issue, try erasing all settings.
                    Tap Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Contents and Settings
                    Note: This will delete all media and data. All settings will be reset as well.
                    6.Restore - Try restoring iPod touch using iTunes.
                    Connect iPod touch. When it appears in the Source list, click on Restore in the Summary tab.
                    Note: This will delete all media and data. All settings will be reset as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

it the whilte one that looks like a usb flash drive, right?

if so, read this...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1293

but, looks like you need a mac to run it.

for the battery, how long have you left it plugged into the usb port?

might take a while to get the battery recharged - if the battery is still good.

joel

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      It's the Shuffle.

Yup, loaded.

No screen, just a jog wheel, usb and earphone.

Should be able to store any data, I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by JAvendan View Post
                        it the whilte one that looks like a usb flash drive, right?

... looks like you need a mac to run it.

for the battery, how long have you left it plugged into the usb port?
                        yep

no sweat

2+ hrs each a few times

Comment

for charging - try leaving it plugged in at least 8 hrs., overnight if you can. it won't get fully charged in 2 hrs, especially if you're only doing it through the usb port. you need to charge it with A/C power instead if you can.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Maybe there's still hope! Cool, thanx.

Comment

Working...
                            X