"Small kid" time TV...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "Small kid" time TV...Off the Top of My Head

The cartoons that they used to play on Checkers & Pogo were also pretty good. Anyone remember the following?

Speed Racer
    yes!

Go, speed racer. GO!

he'd yell at the audience;
    DON"T tell me what to DO!

The Thunderbirds

thunderbirds are GO!
    new movie on that stuff out now.
    My fave parody;
    peter cook and dudley moore; pricelless takeoff on the marionette genre.

Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons

yea. Loved their hit single;
    "Ninety Nine Tears" gonna cry crycrycry, now...

Princess Knight

Prince ESS knight!?
    da HELL!?
    how gay is THAT!?

I think Morgan White played the attorney general for a while on "Hawaii Five-0".

Youn KNOW it bwah!

He did!

His "Pogo Pogue" character started off on KGMB radio in the early and mid 1960s. Prior to the debut of "Checkers & Pogo" he was hosting an afternoon movie on Channel 9 called "Dialing For Dollars". I think they would call a random household and ask you some kind of question; "are YOU a random household?"
    and if ya said "duuuhh...whuzz dat!?"
    he'd SLAM the phone down!
    hoo what fun!

and if you knew the answer, you'd win the cash prize for that day.

a whole dollar!. Or as many pennies you could pull out of a jar clenched in yer greedy little fist!

Anyone remember Lippy Espinda and Captain Honolulu?

Lippy was great. he invented shaka.

he had Lippys lanai Theatah.
    introduce his used cars AND the afternoon movie at once!

he was in a charity race one day on I tink kalakaua. he did that kine thing alla time.

And as he was jogging along... someone yelled from the crowd on da sidewalk:
    "Eh LIPPY! You run bettah den youah used cars!"

ho da mammories!

why don't we have characters li dat nowdays!

aku, sammy amalu, granny goose, lippy, lucky luck, tokyo rose, danno, Ghandi.......

Comment

Prince ESS knight!?
      da HELL!?
      how gay is THAT!?
      She was a girl who had to be a boy in order to inherit her kingdom. When I was a kid that gay thing was never on my mind.

Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons

yea. Loved their hit single;
      "Ninety Nine Tears" gonna cry crycrycry, now...
      Actually Captain Scarlett and his crew were puppets similar to those on "The Thunderbirds" and the earlier "Fireball XL5" made by ITC Entertainment Gerry & Sylvia Anderson. The Mysterons were Captain Scarlett's nemesis from Mars...

The song "96 Tears" (I'm Gonna cry, cry, cry, cry now, 96 tears) was recorded by "Question Mark & the Mysterions" in 1966 and went all the way to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

2 very different entities here.

Lippy was great. he invented shaka.
      Yes he did as I can vaguely recall. However, politico and former Mayor Frank Fasi is sometimes wrongly credited for creating that gesture.

aku, sammy amalu, granny goose, lippy, lucky luck, tokyo rose, danno, Ghandi.......
      And don't porget Respicio and Filipino Fiesta on Channel 2... That show ran for like 30 years I think.... his pavorite line was "maestro.... take it away!"
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
        She was a girl who had to be a boy in order to inherit her kingdom.
        ooooh.
        Freudian!

When I was a kid that gay thing was never on my mind.
        well, that's what the shrinks say;
        it's subconcious.

The song "96 Tears" (I'm Gonna cry, cry, cry, cry now, 96 tears) was recorded by "Question Mark & the Mysterions" in 1966 and went all the way to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.

2 very different entities here.

yes, Mel. I am aware.
        joooking here...

Yes he did as I can vaguely recall. However, politico and former Mayor Frank Fasi is sometimes wrongly credited for creating that gesture.
        wait. Fasi is a spanish politician?!

but 'sides that

that is so apocryphal, to the extent that about 3 others and various and sundry nonentities were also credited with the advent of our salutation...

And don't porget Respicio and Filipino Fiesta on Channel 2... That show ran for like 30 years I think.... his pavorite line was "maestro.... take it away!"

no. THAT i will forget.
        Last edited by kimo55; August 26, 2004, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mel

No Mel, it's Maischro Tek it aweh! You gotta get the phonics correct man!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: "Small kid" time TV...

Anyone remember Checkers & Pogo's competition on KHON? Around 1970-71 they used to air the Bozo the Clown show. They'd have kids in the audience, just like C&P. I remember being in the audience once and kinda part of the show when my elementary school got to do its May Day program on the show. And I was part of the May Day court.

Don't remember who played Bozo. But I do recall Bob Basso (remember him?) played Bozo's sidekick.

Comment

How 'bout this one:

Ah-ji, Ah-ji, Ah-ji no moe toe...

then came the MSG thing and I guess, no moe ah-ji ah-ji ahjinomoto

Another thing that came to mind is that when ever KGMB 9 had "technical difficulties" they always played "classical gas"...

I'm so conditioned, now whenever I hear that melody (which is not very often now that I think about it) I automatically visualize the "we are experiencing technical difficulties" slide that came up.

reading about C&P... I remember putting my fingers together and flipping my hands upside down for the Captain Honolulu mask

'course that really really dates me I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by '79 KUAI Jock
                How 'bout this one:

then came the MSG thing and I guess, no moe ah-ji ah-ji ahjinomoto

Another thing that came to mind is that when ever KGMB 9 had "technical difficulties" they always played "classical gas"...

I'm so conditioned, now whenever I hear that melody (which is not very often now that I think about it) I automatically visualize the "we are experiencing technical difficulties" slide that came up.

reading about C&P... I remember putting my fingers together and flipping my hands upside down for the Captain Honolulu mask

'course that really really dates me I guess...
                I have the technical difficulties on cassete tape from 1974 except the announcer says "We are now making techical adjustmants. Normal programming will resume momentarily" This is my first post here.

Comment

Another thing that came to mind is that when ever KGMB 9 had "technical difficulties" they always played "classical gas".
                  I don't think I never heard that song played in it's entirety.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                    I don't think I never heard that song played in it's entirety.
                    so, you are saying you DID hear "that song played in it's entirety" ??

Comment

Wow. Lightning bolt moment. I didn't remember this... until you posted it. Now I've got the sing-song melody stuck in my head.

Augh! Make it stop! Make it stop!

Comment

Originally posted by Leimamo
                        I remember watching Friday Night Wrestling at Grandma's house with tag teamers Pedro Morales and Han Lee; commentators Lord "Tallyho" Blair and Ed Francis; Ripper Collins, Nef Maiava, Peter Maivea, the Missing Link - Oooooh YEEEEAAAAH. ....

That would be James Blears
                        a.k.a., Lord "Tally Ho" Blears

If ya wanna return for a lil while to small keed time, the collector's show at da H.I.C. this month is presenting an extensive display of Hawaii pro wrestling from the 60's to the early 70's. Pictures.... DVD/Videos... ec....

July 23, 24.

"This year's special display at the Hawaii All-Collectors Show in July will be on Pro Wrestling in the 1960s-early 1970s. During these years pro wrestling in Hawaii became a major force in the community. Our wrestling display will consist of fan photographs, fan video taken at the matches, some audio of the wrestlers, wrestling memorabilia, a re-creation of the large wrestling TV cards, and special autographed T-shirts."

Comment

Hi i'm Kalani, come and be my neighbor at Ponderosa Pines...Call now, for sure!!!

Kalani Doroen for Ponderosa Pines

Comment

What would eating be without Ah-ji-no-moto !! I use it all the time but on the mainland we call it "Accent".

Comment

I believe Emme Tomimbang first got major air time on the Captain Honolulu Show as it was morphing (or maybe it was after it morphed into) the Billy Boy Munster Show. I believe Emme also had a job with the KHVH news team. That was before the time when they used to use the "theme from Shaft" as their news theme. Also does anyone remember Emiloa (sp??) their weather mascot?
                              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by kimohalliway
                                Hi i'm Kalani, come and be my neighbor at Ponderosa Pines...Call now, for sure!!!

Kalani Doroen for Ponderosa Pines
                                hahaha...i think that was the first commercial my dad produced when my family got here in '71...
                                Don't be mean,
                                try to help.

Comment

Working...
                                X