Slow airline decline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow airline decline

Is anyone else feeling somewhat vulnerable with the unstable airline situation? It seems that almost every news source is carrying some sort of story about airlines discussing “going under” (due in part to the high fuel charges). During 9-11, it was uncomfortable being in Hawaii knowing that we were all …“stranded” here, but at least we knew it was just temporary.

But, what if more airlines go out of business? Or, what if the remaining airlines start charging fees so high that only the rich can afford to fly? I don’t know about you, but this situation seems like “slow terrorism” to me, not a fast event, but a slow and steady hacking away at our air transportation.

What do you think about this? Do you have kids in college on the mainland? Mainland relatives you might want to visit? Feel dependant on mainland food and supplies? What if the airlines stop flying, or drastically cut flights to Hawaii?

I've NEVER worried about this before. But NOW, I am.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Slow airline decline

I guess you never lived in the State of Hawaii during the early 1960's or before. Sure we had jet travel back then but some people actually took a ship to get here. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't fast but it worked.

I think you are worrying for the wrong reasons. I will be more concerned on the availabity of jet fuel more than the cost of it.

Comment

Originally posted by helen View Post
      I guess you never lived in the State of Hawaii during the early 1960's or before. Sure we had jet travel back then but some people actually took a ship to get here. It wasn't cheap and it wasn't fast but it worked.

I think you are worrying for the wrong reasons. I will be more concerned on the availabity of jet fuel more than the cost of it.
      Funny you should mention that. This has been a big discussion in our house. The increase in airfares may become a huge issue. For now we are still flying, but the question of 'what will we do if....' has been a topic of conversation. Even now, there are cruises from the west coast to Honolulu that run about $1200 for interior cabins. Plus, I need to consider the cost of getting to the west coast (around $400 as of now). This is still more expensive than flying straight through ($1100 as of now - compared to $550 a few months ago). The ships aren't really set up for one way or even round trip type of travel. I bet that if the air fares (or fuel availability) becomes a larger issue, the cruise lines will start looking into travel by ship. I don't know of any ships where you can book passage in the same way you can book air fare right now. Honestly, I haven't looked that closely.

This may have a huge impact on the tourist industry though. I can't imagine how a family of 4 or even a honeymoon couple will be able to afford a vacation in Hawaii. We need to actively bring in industries that will provide employment opportunities. I have very distinct ideas on this - but that would be off topic - and then I'd get yelled at .

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        Is anyone else feeling somewhat vulnerable with the unstable airline situation? It seems that almost every news source is carrying some sort of story about airlines discussing “going under” (due in part to the high fuel charges). During 9-11, it was uncomfortable being in Hawaii knowing that we were all …“stranded” here, but at least we knew it was just temporary.

But, what if more airlines go out of business? Or, what if the remaining airlines start charging fees so high that only the rich can afford to fly? I don’t know about you, but this situation seems like “slow terrorism” to me, not a fast event, but a slow and steady hacking away at our air transportation.

What do you think about this? Do you have kids in college on the mainland? Mainland relatives you might want to visit? Feel dependant on mainland food and supplies? What if the airlines stop flying, or drastically cut flights to Hawaii?

I've NEVER worried about this before. But NOW, I am.
        Considering that we don't have good affordable air cargo service for commercial businesses like our grocery markets to begin with on Molokai, we have to live with it. Other general merchandise could probably be ordered and shipped here.

As for taking trips off-island, I rarely do. And if the airline businesses do stop in Hawaii, then I'll be voicing support to get HSF to dock in our port.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Sorry my previous posting was in such large font, I don't know why that happened.
          Cruise ships will not replace it if we have an airline decline. Think about 9-11, when there was no neighbor island and no mainland travel. Many neighbor island folk need to travel to Oahu for medical treatment. Many neighbor island folk have elderly relatives or children living on different islands. Tourism (and many jobs!) depends on the masses that airlines bring in. Cruise ships will not be a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
            [...] We need to actively bring in industries that will provide employment opportunities. I have very distinct ideas on this - but that would be off topic - and then I'd get yelled at .
            Ah, but you wouldn't get yelled at if you started a new thread with that topic. It sounds interesting to me!

Back on topic...I order a lot of merchandise from the internet. I anticipate shipping prices to skyrocket or travel time to take much longer. I wonder how this will impact Amazon.com. I love their free shipping policy for orders over $25...even to Hawaii. I hope that doesn't change but how can it not?

Comment

On a personal note, I travel to the mainland often for work. I'll be unemployed if the airlines collapse. But, I guess I'll be able to meet many new people as I stand in the unemployment line, all those hotel workers, restaurant workers, vendors, construction workers, airline employees, airport employees, etc that would be standing there along with me.

Comment

Companies come and go, sure right now it's a slump in the business, but it's not like the entire passenger airline industry in the United States are going to fail and it ends up that no planes are flying.

Comment

Cruise ships will not replace it if we have an airline decline.
                  Last I checked, HSF is not a cruise ship.

Comment

On a personal note, I travel to the mainland often for work. I'll be unemployed if the airlines collapse. But, I guess I'll be able to meet many new people as I stand in the unemployment line, all those hotel workers, restaurant workers, vendors, construction workers, airline employees, airport employees, etc that would be standing there along with me.
                    Always see a silver lining, especially in a hurricane.

Comment

Companies come and go, sure right now it's a slump in the business, but it's not like the entire passenger airline industry in the United States are going to fail and it ends up that no planes are flying.
                      I wonder what happens if fossil fuel is finally dried up? What else can they make jet fuel out of?

Comment

Puppy dog tails.

Ewww, it's made of PEOPLE!

Eye of newt and wing of bat...
                        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I concur. We'll end up with either new or vastly restructured older carriers, where more of the consumer's money goes towards things like the actual cost of running the business and less of the proceeds goes into overinflated salaries of CEOs and executives.
                          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

There's always Hot Air Balloon travel? Unless there's a hot air shortage.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                              [...]Unless there's a hot air shortage.
                              <drum roll, please>
                              An emergency supply can be found on HT!
                              </drum roll>

Comment

Working...
                              X