Job Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Market

How is the job market in paradise? Anyone know of any openings on Oahu or Maui. I know I just missed nights at KSSK, must have been an internal posting because I don't remember reading about it anywhere. I've been gone for 15 years now, but the islands are calling, and I'm seriously thinking about selling everything and moving back. Mahalo.

Re: Job Market

Give Local Boy a call he's doing weekends on KPOA FM93.5
    from 9a-3p HST Sat & Sun..
    at 808.893.8935

Or listen on line at:

KPOA.COM

you can also email him through the KPOA site...

I'm sure he'd like to chat-

Have fun :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rik Steven
      How is the job market in paradise? Anyone know of any openings on Oahu or Maui. I know I just missed nights at KSSK, must have been an internal posting because I don't remember reading about it anywhere. I've been gone for 15 years now, but the islands are calling, and I'm seriously thinking about selling everything and moving back. Mahalo.

Dude - you'd better sell a WHOLE LOT of stuff for GINORMOUS dollars if you're going to move back here. Seriously -- do your research on housing prices before you totally make up your mind (and before you have the "salary requirements" conversation with a prospective employer).

www.rentalsillustrated.com, www.hicentral.com

Don't forget to research utility/cable costs:
      www.heco.com
      www.hbws.org
      www.hawaiiantel.com
      www.oceanic.com

If you're not already running away screaming, then go here, for starters:

www.hawaiibroadcasters.com

To get links to local radio stations (among other good stuff), Mel's long-running, invaluable Web site:

www.hawaiiradiotv.com
      I know a lot less than what there is to be known.

Comment

Totally man. I agree. I work at a decent company with a decent job, but I still can't afford a decent house!!! WTF??? Housing prices have gone through the roof!!! Plus, maintenance fees (if condo) and utilities, insurance and other things. Aya! This island way too expensive, but I still call this place home, so I make sacrifices and live at home still!!!

Comment

Thanks for all the links Erika! It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be. Cable and phone are almost exactly the same as on the mainland, and housing rentals, just a bit more than I'm used to paying. Seems like anywhere you live anymore it costs $1000 to rent an apartment. Salaries must be really poor, huh? Appreciate the help.

Comment

How's the Radio job market were you're at?

No can buy house hea...
            gas going hit $4 a gallon this Summah for sure...
            Unemployment's at an all time low...

help wanted signs everywhere- but the
            pay?- no can!

Either you brought your bag of gold from somehwere else...
            to live ok- in Paradise...

Or you actually from hea
            an you're workin' you but off jus to pay da rent!

at least the sunshine's free...

Comment

Radio job market is pretty tough here, as it is everywhere! But no perks, like the pacific ocean right out my back door, plenty of cactus though.

Not worried about gas prices there, I think it will hit $4 a gallon or close to it all across the country by mid summer. I was driving thru the city the other day, Phoenix, and saw a station with regular for $3.38 a gallon. Full tank used to last 2 weeks in Hawaii, lasts maybe 4 days here.

I didn't make much the last time I worked there, but I didn't owe anyone either so I was able to live large on smaller dollars. I've made big money here on the mainland and still lived paycheck to paycheck....the more you make the more you spend. Hawaii is not just about money for me, it's about the people, the lifestyle and all that "free sunshine".

Comment

Hawaii market radio pays HORRIBLY! You can be a night show jock, rated #1 and still make only 8.00 an hour! Ok...maybe 10.

I would not recommend Radio as a career to anyone taht lives in Hawaii. Only the elite few (perry and price, rory wild) make the big coin!

Comment

I remember one evening when we had our Clear Channel Christmas party at the Hawaiian Regent Hotel. There was a short slideshow (powerpoint or something like that) showing Perry and Price getting hoards of bags filled with money and gold for their Christmas bonus meanwhile everyone else got a single coin.

Everybody laughed except for the top two. Sad statement but a very true one. Hourly wages vary from individual to individual and it's not uncommon to see full-timers get less hourly rates than some part timers. And there's also that issue of not being able to log those extra production hours on a late Sunday evening for the Monday morning rotation because there are a lot of newbies out there standing line to take your place.

It happens at ALL radio stations in Hawaii. The only way it will change is if radio station personnel become unionized as they are in certain markets on the mainland.

Can you imagine this: You want me to dub those PSA's? I'm a board operator not a production gopher. Or: You want me to run the board while you go potty? I just screen calls okay buddy! Or this one: It's 5:30pm and my shift is over you can't make me stay an hour with no pay to cut this spot and don't even think about doing it yourself...that's my job and I file a grievance if you even attempt it.

So as bad as the pay is, it's the only way things get done in Hawaii. You basically work in radio for the love and unless you're a morning drive personality in the top ten list, you'd better keep that Real job if you want to add hamburger to that box of Hamburger helper for dinner.

Oh and $8 to $10 is a fair assessment of realistic hourly wages here for radio. When I moved to the Big Island and met with Ken Hupp over at KWXX/KPUA and told him I was interested in possibly working there (we used to work together back at KGU in the early 80's) and told him I made $10/hour at CC in Honolulu, he told me that was more than what he as a PD was making in Hilo! Pulling my leg? I dunno but the dropped jaw on his face kinda told me otherwise.
                  Last edited by craigwatanabe; April 21, 2006, 10:20 AM.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                  X