Sleep Apnea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleep Apnea

I had 2 visits at 2 separate facilities. The first one was done at the hospital and it was.. well... a hospital. Just dressed up to look a little both homey. Same electrodes pasted/strapped/gelled, to my calfs, head, chest, finger. No mask the first night. They wanted to see how bad the apnea was first. NO shower in the morning at that facility!!! I brought a had and was thankful that I only live 10 min away. The lady who did the study said that the other girl that had a study the same night as me and I were 2 of the loudest snorer's she'd seen/heard. The second was what they called a Titration test, where they hooked up the mask and checked to see what levels of pressure were most effective for me. Second night was done at a facility dedicated to sleep study so it was like a hotel room with tv and shower and recliner lol. Both times, the techs told me to sleep like I would normally and both times I was able to use the sleep function on the tv.

If I had a recommendation for someone who has problems sleeping in odd situations/places, it would be to wake up early the day of your study and try to do as much as you can so you're basically exhausted and will sleep cause your body needs to. It really wasn't a problem for me.
    -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by DiverDown808 View Post
      yeah I know....I'm falling apart.
      Beats the alternative, though.
      Originally posted by tutusue View Post
      Good grief, DD. What's gonna happen when you're my age?!
      Let's hope that taking care of his medical concerns guarantees he reaches your age - and that both of you keep going well beyond that number.

Comment

For those of you who use the breathing machine, my friend has a question. He's having trouble with having "plugged ears" whenever he uses the machine and it makes him crazy. He was wondering if anyone else has that and if anyone has any suggestions for avoiding it.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          For those of you who use the breathing machine, my friend has a question. He's having trouble with having "plugged ears" whenever he uses the machine and it makes him crazy. He was wondering if anyone else has that and if anyone has any suggestions for avoiding it.

Nope, never had that problem. When in operation, my machine doesn't prevent me from freely breathing. I've never felt like my ears or hearing were being affected. I'd be bummed if my ears were plugged whenever I slept.

I might suggest that your friend's pressure setting may be too high. My machine's setting was increased a couple of psi with no appreciable effect on me; mayhaps your friend's machine's setting needs to be decreased a few psi.
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
            Likeke, whether or not your ins. pays for a cpap will be based on the type of coverage you have. My ins. paid for only 50% of the sleep study. Still, it was the best 50% I ever spent! I do have drug coverage so the generic meds are cheap. It's those brand names that have no generic equivalent that get me!
            Hi Auntie Tutusue, thank you so much for the come back and sorry for the very late response.
            I will be going in this coming Wednesday. I have to check again with my health insurance yah, because a guy like me no mo' dat kind of money to pay yah but, I goin' try see. I really need to check myself out. I hate sleeping sitting down on my bed aw'ready. I have to sit down in order fo me to breathe yah. So, I gotta do'um. Thanks eh!

Comment

Good luck, Likeke. A friend of mine just had a sleep study and her ins. paid 80%. Hopefully your coverage is more similar to hers than to mine!

Comment

Welcome another into the "Hey...wake up and breathe!" club.

I've got to get fitted for a cpap and stuff...

Wheee...face bondage!

Comment

Originally posted by Peshkwe View Post
                  Welcome another into the "Hey...wake up and breathe!" club.

I've got to get fitted for a cpap and stuff...

Wheee...face bondage!
                  If your hubby is in to Darth Vader types, he'll be really turned on!

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                    If your hubby is in to Darth Vader types, he'll be really turned on!
                    Maybe if they made the things in black latex.

Yanno, I saw something like that in the Frankfurt airport in the display window of a shop called Dr. Müller Sex Shop.

Comment

Yanno, I saw something like that in the Frankfurt airport in the display window of a shop called Dr. Müller Sex Shop.
                      I don't think your insurance would cover that one...

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        I don't think your insurance would cover that one...
                        Prolly not considering that thing had no eye holes either....and a biiiig shiny zipper up the back.

Use that every day and you'd end up with a permanent reverse mullet.

Comment

My love told me that I snored. I told her to kick me, roll me over, etc., so she could sleep. But when she said I stopped breathing at night, I did a sleep study and found I had apnea (I also have excessive daytime sleepiness - EDS - but have since discovered it was from a different cause).

I got a CPAP. It didn't help my EDS, so I did a second study and they said it was working properly.

I switched from a mask to nasal pillows, which are MUCH more comfortable and less intrusive (I BLESS my friends at Apria in Pearl City for being flexible and helpful!).

Most people with necks larger than 15.5 inches will have some degree of sleep apnea. Ageing helps, as does overweight, even slightly, to bring it on. Some people can sleep on their side and avoid the symptoms.

Two important stages of sleep: Alpha (where you dream) and Delta (where you get deep rest and spiritual rejuvenation). Also, some people can slip into another state, perhaps Theta, where out-of-body experiences can occur.

Ever wake up unable to move? Scared? You try to scream or move your little finger to get out of it? Doctors call it "sleep paralysis," but next time it happens, just try to keep your cool and imagine a place you want to go, or a friend you want to visit, and you will suddenly find yourself there. It is out-of-body travel, or remote viewing, it is very natural but not accepted by science. Lots of fun, too. Better than being scared. You don't KNOW freedom until you have left your body behind. Don't worry, you always come back, and no, no one can take over your body - it's just your consciousness that's traveling, not your soul.

Mild sleep apnea is pretty harmless, but a serious case CAN be life-threatening. Eat health, exercise, lose weight, and eventually you can shed (with MD's consent only!) the CPAP.

Yes, you can still go OOB with a CPAP.
                          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                          ~ ~
                          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Was that the one with the leather straps?

Comment

Originally posted by alohacandy View Post
                              Was that the one with the leather straps?

No, the other side of the window display, next to the buttless black leather lederhosen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                                Most people with necks larger than 15.5 inches will have some degree of sleep apnea. Ageing helps, as does overweight, even slightly, to bring it on. Some people can sleep on their side and avoid the symptoms.

Two important stages of sleep: Alpha (where you dream) and Delta (where you get deep rest and spiritual rejuvenation). Also, some people can slip into another state, perhaps Theta, where out-of-body experiences can occur.....
                                Wow, Kaonohi, that was most illuminating! The thread's title intrigued me at first, so I read all the old posts. I was married to a guy with sleep apnea, so I know what it is like for them... but no one ever said I had it.

Your comments above made me wonder... I have chronic insomnia, really bad, and I sleep 4-6 hours at the most, never restful, or more than a couple hours at a time. As a chubby (ok, FAT) girl, and my neck being the size you mention, getting older, plus a pre-existing neck injury... all what you say makes me wonder if I have it.

A few years ago, I had a wonderful medication to help me sleep; always great dreams, so realistic (Theta??), like coulda really happened stuff... but never a drug hangover next day. I couldn't wait to go to sleep every night. Lost my job with the health insurance, no more doctor or drugs... now I don't sleep good at all, and always on my back, in order to breathe. Maybe it's due to apnea, and no one ever told me so.

Too bad if it is, as no $$$ for testing, but it helps to know so many of you on HT have a sleep disorder too, and I'm not the only one. Thank you so much for your help in making me understand more about it.

BTW, the husband who had the sleep apnea? He quit getting drunk. That cured him. Go figure.
                                SB

Comment

Working...
                                X