Leahey & Leahey - coming to KUMU AM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leahey & Leahey - coming to KUMU AM

In case anyone here doesn't know yet, the Leahey clan (Jim and Kanoa) will be making their KUMU 1500 morning show debut on April 16th, 6-9 am. Their sports talk show will be directly competing against the Bobby Curran show on KKEA. While KKEA will probably have exclusive interviews with the current UH coaches and players, KUMU will supposedly offer a more independent and outspoken commentary on UH and all other local/national sports. Already, Jeff Portnoy (recently let go by KKEA) has signed on with KUMU.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see which station wins the ratings war. My money is on L&L.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Leahey & Leahey - coming to KUMU AM

This is gonna be one battle royale. Curran's support is from Don Robbs who is so entrenched with the radio broadcasts of UH games, while Jim Leahey represents the TV broadcast side with K-5.

Is Jeff Coehlo involved? If so there'll be some rivalry between Jeff and Don.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I predict that Curran is gonna get dusted by the Leaheys in the morning drive time ratings. If that happens, then maybe KKEA will counter with another father-son combination of their own. Don and Scott Robbs.

So instead of a battle royale, perhaps we had better prepare for a tag team match!
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Don and Scott would make a formidable team against Jim and Kanoa.

Bobby Curran can hold his own as he's done sports broadcasting longer than Scott or Kanoa.

One edge Bobby has over the Leahey's is that Bobby's broadcasts are tailored for radio whereas Jim is used to TV. Kanoa has some radio broadcast experience when he worked for me during the ILH Girl's Basketball broadcasts on KGU.

But there's a difference when you broadcast with no visual aids. Your delivery has to be very descriptive yet not sound like you overtalking. With TV you can let the scoreboard and the visual references speak for themselves. In radio you have to announce the scores and describe the action. Radio Play-by-play is definately much harder to do and master than TV play-by-play.

I still believe one of the best play by play announcers was a very unknown Randy DelaCruz from KNDI. He got one of the greatest compliments from the late Father Chuck Halter who provided stats for the UH Rainbows for many years before his passing. Father Halter was my statistician when I ran Starcomm Hawaii. Halter told Randy that his delivery was among the best he'd ever heard and he's heard them all.

Comment

Best play by play man on radio ever, Les Keiter. I use to love it when he would recreate a ball game that was over with and made it sound like it was a live broadcast LOL. He was the best ever in my humble opinion. some of you are probably too young to know who or what I am talking about. You had to be there to hear it to appreciate it. Aloha, BigD

Comment

Les and a lessor known Joe Rose used to do Baseball recreates on KGU decades ago. I worked with Joe Rose and was totally amazed at how a simple wooden block and a metal rod taped to a wooden dowel could mimick the sound of a pop up, home run, foul tip or a line drive.

I used to run the crowd loop carts running the murmer and hitting the cheer efx when signaled by Joe.

Basically a triple stack cart machine for the effects, a producer, a gopher and the play by play announcer was all that was needed for a decent recreate.

Those were the days.

Comment

and even further back . . .mid- to late-fifties

Carlos Rivas (annx) and John Henry Russell (sfx) used to do recreates on KPOA, 650 am, located at that time in one corner of the `Iolani Ala Wai campus

Comment

Damn, I thought I was old LOL. I do remember Joe Rose and Carlos Rivas also. Yep, them were the days alright. Aloha, BigD

Comment

Let us not forget that Jim Leahey is well-versed in radio play-by-play as he cut his teeth on KGU with his dad, the incomparable Chuck "he's a manapua short" Leahey.

Jeff Coehlo has been out of the radio industry for 2-1/2 years and is currently the Director of Customer Services in Mufi's administration. He was with KUMU several years ago.

While I never thought he was the "best," Les "the General" Keiter had his memorable Keiterisms: BOOM! OFF THE WALL; HE BEAT THE BALL! HE BEAT THE BALL! HE BEAT THE BALL!; UP THE ELEVATOR SHAFT; HE FIRES A RING-TAILED HOWITZER; IN AGAIN, OUT AGAIN, IN AGAIN.

And, I also remember the Carlos Rivas re-creates back in the '50s ........... And Joe "Rack 'em up" Rose, Ted Sax (father of Larry Beil), Jim Lathrop, Gene Good, Frank Valenti.
                  Last edited by oceanpacific; April 11, 2007, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Man, Les Keiter. I remember him doing the Hawaii Islanders recreations all the way up to the early 1980s. He did such a good job, I oftentimes forgot that it was a recreation. He made it sound like he really was at the ballpark.

Of course, other people had absolutely no idea. Many were the times when he left the studio after the broadcast and people who saw him afterwards did a double take and ask him, "Hey, I thought you were up in Portland tonight! How did you get back so fast?"

Comment

As long as we're tossing out names, don't forget Marty Chase and Mel Proctor, and, of course, the incomparable Al Michaels

Comment

My pet peeve with Leahy is his play by play of Wahine VBALL matches. He constantly gets players mixed up and uses the term "Rollshot for every attack that isn't hammered down.

Comment

Originally posted by Kimo View Post
                          As long as we're tossing out names, don't forget Marty Chase and Mel Proctor, and, of course, the incomparable Al Michaels
                          Mel Proctor used some pet phrases (e.g. "Oh, brother") which rankled me, so I referred to him at times as MEL PRACTICE.

Al Michaels was a "pro" from the beginning. One of my prized collectibles on CD is his call of an ILH basketball game in 1970 just before he left for his radio stint with the baseball SF Giants.

Comment

Al Michaels formerly from KGU.

And Chuck Leahey...I forgot that he did radio too, thanks for that reminder.

When Joe used to do the recreates, Kim Kanoa would be watching the TV set and taking notes of the baseball game then run down the hallway to the KGU studios from the sales office and hand him the notes.

Joe's wooden block was a DiscWasher D4 record cleaning brush. He had a pencil with masking tape wrapped around one end and hit the D4 with that end for a line drive effect. With the wooden part of the pencil hitting the brush he'd mimick a pop up or a home run sound of the bat.

In the master control room I'd be running one triple stack cart machine for the crowd sounds and the other for the billboards, stingers, spots and the returns.

Radio is the theater of the mind but nowdays it seems it's just all about music.

Comment

This was from nearly a half-century ago, but I could swear that on one of those re-creates, I distinctly heard the hot dog vendor above the crowd noise hawking a local brand of hot dogs ....... at a major league game. If it was a Hawaii Islanders game, I can understand that, but this was BEFORE the Islanders came to town.

Comment

Working...
                              X