Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kxrg fm (lp)

'Ano 'ai

My favorite station for the past year was Maui's KLHI 101.1 FM. I could only catch it in my car while driving (I live on O'ahu). As I was listening yesterday I was surprised to hear dance music when I turned on the car radio. At first I was like what the heck is this? It was still tuned to 101.1. I then changed the station to 101.9, O'ahu main "rock" station.

At first I thought KLHI changed radio formats. I hope that's not the case. Because when I turned on the radio and changed it back to 101.1 KLHI's modern rock format was on. And then suddenly the signal turned to that dance music again. I waited to see if I could catch the call letters but all I got was "Energy 101, Hawai'i's dance station".

Do you guys know if this is the station format that KLHI planned when they were moving over from Maui to O'ahu? If so, I guess I'll be changing back to 101.9 since this is basically O'ahu's only modern rock station (KTUH is okay but its rock/alternative music is not on 24 hours a day). Kind of disappointed I won't be able to hear The Point anymore.

Mahalo nui.
    .: Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity :.

Re: New radio station? (101 FM dial)

According to the FCC website there are several licensures at 101.1 FM:

KXRG LP
    http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=132054

Code:
    KXRG-LP       HI HONOLULU                  USA                      

Licensee: OHANA BROADCASTERS CORPORATION
      Service Designation: FL Low Power FM (LPFM) station or application
      Channel/Class: 266L1 Frequency: 101.1 MHz Construction Permit
      File No.: BNPL-20010122AJK     Facility ID number: 132054
      CDBS Application ID No.: 1080367

21° 19' 9.50 " N Latitude              
      157° 52' 25.27" W Longitude (NAD 27)    

Polarization:	Horizontal	 Vertical	
      	Effective Radiated Power (ERP):	0.1	0.	 kW ERP
      	Antenna Height Above Average Terrain:	0.	0.	 meters HAAT
      	Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level:	35.	0.	 meters AMSL
      	Antenna Height Above Ground Level:	27.	0.	 meters AGL

Pacific Radio Group KLHI has an application listed with the FCC for the same frequency:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=36242

Code:
    KLHI-FM       HI WAIANAE                   USA                      

Licensee: PACIFIC RADIO GROUP, INC.
      Service Designation: FM 'Full Service' FM station or application 
      Channel/Class: 266C Frequency: 101.1 MHz Application
      File No.: BPH-20060124AMJ     Facility ID number: 36242
      CDBS Application ID No.: 1110328

21° 23' 45.00" N Latitude              
      158° 05' 58.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)
    Go to the links above for more info. Which of these is actually broadcasting is anyone's guess for now.

I surely hate to think that Maui may have lost it's Point 101 FM programming. I had thought the same programming would have been simulcast in Honolulu once 101.1 got going.

Dance station? Hmmm. That's what is on now.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

KXRG-LP http://www.myhienergy.com and
      KLHI http://www.thepointfm101.com are two different stations.

KXRG says they are on the air from 2PM-2AM. I can hear both stations actually although I still get KLHI clearly.

Comment

How long has KXRG been broadcasting? I guess I listen to my iPod more often these days than my radio. I guess I need to update my digital scanning more often on the FM dial. Over the past few years several licensees have applied for LP FMs... so I guess they all need to be on the air before they lose those licenses.

Depending on where you are, KLHI's signal on Oahu may be clear in some areas but not clear in others. With KXRG taking up a 12-hour a day chunk of airtime on the same frequency, it will be impossible for some people to get KLHI.

I wonder what happens if and when KLHI sets up a full power transmitter in Waianae? Or has that been set up already? I think some of the FCC records are out of date.

Also can Honolulu stand to have 2 commercial alternative rock stations? I remember for a few years when KPOI FM was The Edge, they eventually had to drop and modify their alternative rock programming to play other kinds of rock after Star 101.9 FM became active. I just don't think Honolulu has enough listeners to sustain 2 alt rock stations full time.
        Last edited by mel; March 13, 2006, 02:52 AM.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Well I did some looking and found that KXRG just got set up last week; I could be wrong though:

KXRG Honolulu hits the air

You are right though Mel, I wonder if Honolulu has a population to support 2 alternative/modern rock stations. No offense to KUCD 101.9 listeners but their music selection isn't that great. I think having two alternative stations would be good. But the thing that KUCD offers is local DJs spinning out the music and taking requests live via phone. But that's not to say KLHI couldn't do that either (KLHI is basically satellite radio that has been "localized" to satisfy the market they are broadcasting in). KLHI to me just offers different and new rock.

Speaking of rock, you guys rock for finding this info. Mahalo always.
          .: Artificial Intelligence Is No Match For Natural Stupidity :.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost
            'Ano 'ai

My favorite station for the past year was Maui's KLHI 101.1 FM. I could only catch it in my car while driving (I live on O'ahu). As I was listening yesterday I was surprised to hear dance music when I turned on the car radio. At first I was like what the heck is this? It was still tuned to 101.1. I then changed the station to 101.9, O'ahu main "rock" station.

At first I thought KLHI changed radio formats. I hope that's not the case. Because when I turned on the radio and changed it back to 101.1 KLHI's modern rock format was on. And then suddenly the signal turned to that dance music again. I waited to see if I could catch the call letters but all I got was "Energy 101, Hawai'i's dance station".
            Here's the deal as far as I know with the dance music:
            http://www.myhienergy.com/

Comment

Being one of the only "live" DJ's on 101.1 FM the Point-

I think it's cool you listen to our little Maui station.

We get calls from Oahu- the Big Island- even Haiku

on a good night :-)

The Tower is right above Makena and has good line of sight

your direction-

Bummer you gotta listen to that "dance" station...

There is of course a "workaround"-

just move to Maui-

Comment

In today's "MidWeek Weekend" columnist Roz Makaula writes about "KDNC 101.1, the brainchild of Jay Dietz". (I assume that's the same as KXRG.)
                His name also shows up as the owner of myhienergy.com which was registered on February 22 of this year.
                I also found that the Program Director is Wes Keene (and Music Director is Teri Keene) and that he seems to buy his programming from http://www.radioventuresinc.com/MainPage.htm .

I saw that he posted a message on 2/16/2004 at http://www.music-discussion.com/arch...php?t-351.html and it says "Hey guys,
                I'm trying to make my way to as many places as I can and let you know about the new internet station we started at the beginning of the year.
                It's called The Dance Station (http://www.thedancestation.com). The website is www.thedancestation.com
                We play the hits. No R&B or hip-hop, or anything like that. We stick to straight dance. Minimal interruptions and an upbeat presentation, fun to listen to while you work or just surf the net.
                We have broadband and dialup streams available. Both sound great, so pick what suits you.
                If you have opinions while you're listening please send them to requests@thedancestation.com or AIM to "thedancestation".
                Thanks for your time, I hope you enjoy the station.
                Wes Keene"

I also saw a message dated 1/22/2004 at http://p199.ezboard.com/fplanetstars...picID=15.topic where he wrote "The Dance Station is online at www.thedancestation.com. We play an excellent mix of dance hits, low chatter, and focus on current and new music. If you get a second and want to try something new that still focuses on music you know give us a shot.
                We use Shoutcast MP3 and run at 128k. If you're a dialup customer we have that coming soon, in a couple days.
                Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope we can serve you soon.
                Wes Keene"

The website at http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/piratejim/lpfm2.html shows several stations at the 101.1 frequency:
                KXRG-LP 101.1 Ohana Broadcasters Corp. Honolulu HI * (dance)
                101.1 Calvary Chapel Windward Kailua HI
                101.1 North Shore Radio Co-Op Waialua HI
                101.1 Institute For The Advancement Of Hawaiian Affairs Wai'Anae HI
                101.1 Wai'Anae Coast Coalition Wai'Anae HI
                101.1 Wai'Anae Coast Community Mental Health Center Wai'Anae HI

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui

The website at http://www.angelfire.com/nj2/piratejim/lpfm2.html shows several stations at the 101.1 frequency:
                  KXRG-LP 101.1 Ohana Broadcasters Corp. Honolulu HI * (dance)
                  101.1 Calvary Chapel Windward Kailua HI
                  101.1 North Shore Radio Co-Op Waialua HI
                  101.1 Institute For The Advancement Of Hawaiian Affairs Wai'Anae HI
                  101.1 Wai'Anae Coast Coalition Wai'Anae HI
                  101.1 Wai'Anae Coast Community Mental Health Center Wai'Anae HI
                  Dang!
                  That's a bunch o' 101.1's!!!

It's a miracle anyone on Oahu can listen to 101.1 The Point KLHI MAUI!

Comment

And here it is in today's Advertiser: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0356/1190/NEWS

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm glad that we finally got a dance station here in hawaii. I remember when I went to california a few years back there was a station there playing the same format, and I loved it. It's too bad that it's low powered and on the same frequency as the point. I also listen to the point when I can get reception.

Comment

dance? wot kine?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          dance? wot kine?

Foxtrot. All foxtrot, all the time.

Comment

Speaking of dance stations. Did you check out WILD 105.5 on Maui? It's not only a Top 40 station, but has a bunch of mix shows that cater to dance music. Also dance music is part of their regular rotation.

Comment

Kxrg fm

Bumped up...

KXRG FM (LP) will be returning to 95.9 FM according to a notice issued on their website: http://www.myhienergy.com/

April 29th, 2010 - We have checked the FCC database today which we do daily to find that our application with the FCC, which was initially filed over TEN YEARS AGO, has been GRANTED by the FCC! KXRG-LP has been issued a Special Temporary Authority to broadcast effective immediately.
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X