RIP Martin Denny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Martin Denny

Martin Denny died yesterday. A great musician and gentleman.

Re: RIP Martin Denny

Aue. Rest in peace indeed.

Bandleader Martin Denny dies at 94
    Honolulu Star Bulletin, March 3, 2005:
    Martin Denny, the man who created “exotica” music in the 1950s and lived to see it enjoy renewed world-wide popularity as “lounge music” and “tiki culture,” died last night at his Hawaii-Kai residence, five weeks short of his 94th birthday. Christina Denny, his daughter and primary care-giver, said that her father “passed peacefully at 9 p.m.” and that he had been “ready to go.”
    Hmm. Note that the article says he died at 93, the headline says 94. Here's a piece from the Hollywood Reporter:
    Pianist-bandleader Martin Denny, whose tropical brand of instrumental exotica met with wild popularity in the late '50s, died Wednesday in Hawai'i Kai, Hawaii. He was 94. The classically trained musician formed a band in Waikiki that blended natural sounds, jazz rhythms and exotic percussion.

Comment

We'll never see the likes of Martin again. Thanks for all the great music.

Comment

I'll forever be glad that I had the chance to see him perform a few times before he passed on.
        RIP, Martin.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was walking my dog several years ago and met a gentleman walking his dog. We struck up a conversation and became friends as we often ran into each other walking our dogs. About a month later I learned his last name was Denny and it was then I realized who he was. As it turned out he knew my father very well and they used to play golf together all the time. I saw Martin just last week as his caretaker was wheeling him around to go feed the ducks near his condo.

He was truly a legend and yet very humble...he will be sorely missed.

Comment

Rest in Peace Martin Denny...now your music will be heard in GOD'S KINGDOM!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

His last known public performance was at the Hawaii Theater as a cameo appearence with Don Tiki. One of my friends was down there documenting this event on video. The sentiment that night was that we were possibly seeing his last public event and that this performance was truely indeed an honor for those of us attending that night. Most of his original band was there as well. It was almost as if we went back in time to those glory days.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                His last known public performance was at the Hawaii Theater as a cameo appearence with Don Tiki. .

Nope. His last known public appearance was not there.
                That one was a while ago; early oct, 2003.
                Are you talking about that event?! more than a year ago?

his last public event was at a benefit for tsunami victims held at a local school. couple months ago.
                Publicised in the paper as a public event.

and his last video taped occurance was about that time at his home, jammin with friends.
                Last edited by kimo55; May 3, 2005, 12:40 PM.

Comment

okay how about being the last video-taped event at a prestigeous venue like the Hawaii Theater with his full band. Hey it's a shot.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    okay how about being the last video-taped event at a prestigeous venue like the Hawaii Theater with his full band. Hey it's a shot.

nope. again.
                    "full band" not in attendance.
                    Nor did full band play with him onstage there.

ALSO...
                    I wouldn't discount the Waikiki Shell at all by implying it is not a prestigious venue!
                    Marty played there with Jimmy Buffett and Henry Kapono in January 2004.
                    And i think it is very safe to assume this was videotaped.
                    Last edited by kimo55; May 3, 2005, 01:21 PM.

Comment

When I was a little kid my dad had vinyls in his collection of this crazy jungle stuff I just loved. Many years later I discovered what I'd been listening to. Yep. RIP Mr. Denny, you were one of a kind.
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

ON THE RECORD: Music label EMI is set to release "Best of Martin Denny's Exotica" on March 28. It will be the first posthumous CD by the exotic music-maker, who died last March at age 93 in his Hawai'i Kai apartment. In her liner notes about her famous father, daughter Christina says "he'll always be daddy to me." The CD begins with "Exotica," includes Denny's trademark "Quiet Village," and winds up with "Stardust." A taped interview is also included.

(Honolulu Advertiser)
                        A well-deserved tribute to the man. Look out for it in the music stores...

Comment

Didn't see this here, so goin post em.

Martin Denny's best friend, Del Courtney. da bruddah wen visit PO!

Del Courtney recently has passed on...
                          Many may know him as a major figure here in Hawaii in the music industry and a Big Band leader through the decades. Also played with Martin Denny and was a very dear friend of Mr. Denny's.
                          ....please see link for more details.
                          A' Hui' Hou, Del!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117938450?

Comment

Martin Denny was the ORIGINAL yo hip cool cat!
                            <G>
                            http://www.bartenderphd.com
                            http://wwwmyspace.com/bartenderphd

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              Didn't see this here, so goin post em.

Martin Denny's best friend, Del Courtney. da bruddah wen visit PO!

Del Courtney recently has passed on...
                              Many may know him as a major figure here in Hawaii in the music industry and a Big Band leader through the decades. Also played with Martin Denny and was a very dear friend of Mr. Denny's.
                              ....please see link for more details.
                              A' Hui' Hou, Del!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117938450?
                              Marty, Del and Art Todd (for those of you 'oldies but goodies', remember Art and Dottie Todd?) had a weekly lunch date for years and years and it continued 'til not that long prior to Marty's death. Marty was directly responsible for my love of and eventual move to Hawaii and I had the opportunity to tell him...and thank him. We eventually became neighbors in Hawaii Kai. Yes, 2 degrees of separation!

The days of Del Courtney's band and the tea dances at the Monarch Room were glorious. Whatta setting. Whatta sound. Dance 'til ya drop! Loved it!

Here's a trivia quiz ya! What big band singers was Del Courtney married to? Yup! Plural!

Comment

Working...
                              X