X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

Originally posted by Pomai
    Good to see HECO bring back that good ole' "Hawaiian Electric" Koto tune by the jazz band, HIROSHIMA.[...]
    It's a remix but, still, oh so close to the original. Did you go to the Hiroshima concert at the Shell when this tune was at the height of it's popularity in the early 80s? The band got 2 notes into it and the place erupted in cheers and applause. I was glad to see HECOs ad agency bring the song out of moth balls. It's timeless.

Comment

Hi there,
      I created the Road Runner Spots, And heard that Telcom answered the spots with a version of their own. Do you happen to know if the spot's online somewhere? I'm trying to track it down... I heard it's pretty damn funny. Well any help would be appreciated, -Adam

Originally posted by DXer
      Saw a TV add last night for Hawaiian Telcom, that made me laugh out loud. It is a take off of the "mainlandish" road runner ad that takes place in a coffee shop and how a big straw is like Broadband cable and a small straw is like DSL.

The Telcom ad is a local spot with a local waitress doing the same thing, but says, the big straw is like your cable modem, but you'll have to share it with everyone else, and then they cut to a wide shot and there are three people at the counter, one looks really sick, coughing and hacking. The other person doesn't look like someone you would "share your straw" with. The waitress then says, stick with your own straw.

Very clever, it made me laugh.

DXer

Comment

Originally posted by portzel
        Hi there,
        I created the Road Runner Spots, And heard that Telcom answered the spots with a version of their own. Do you happen to know if the spot's online somewhere? I'm trying to track it down... I heard it's pretty damn funny. Well any help would be appreciated, -Adam
        I was the casting director for the Telcom spot. I'm not aware of it being online, intentionally that is! I just checked the ad agency's web site and it's not there unless it's hidden in a secret cyber-vault that's password protected!!! And, no, I don't have a copy of it but, if you'd like to see my dad's reel from the 50s and 60s, I do have a copy of that.

Comment

Small world. What agency made the spots? Do you know the name of the spot? I'm sure your dad's reel is cool, I love the 50's & 60's!

Comment

Originally posted by portzel
            Small world. What agency made the spots? Do you know the name of the spot? I'm sure your dad's reel is cool, I love the 50's & 60's!
            Hmmm...it's my practice to not openly divulge info about clients with whom I'm currently working...those last 6 words being the key! I'm always very cautious about what info I give in a public forum...esp. because one never knows who's lurking here! We've seen that happen in other threads! (wave to Tannya!). That said, google is your best friend!

Comment

KFC, locally, has a new "Lost" themed ad that had us giggling. Survivors on a beach, modeled after characters most of us know well -- a prissy blonde, a large, shaggy haired guy, a bald outdoorsman, an Asian couple...

The blonde panics. The bald guy throws a knife and says the solution is to hunt... for KFC. Buckets of chicken are discovered, one floating on the sea. The large guy becomes entranced by the numbers... six pieces, twelve pieces, twenty pieces...

Totally cheesy, but in such a fun spirit. I can only hope it's one of a series!

Comment

Originally posted by FreaknHaole
                That charitable help ad -- Aloha United Way? -- is which people carrying bundles of light pass them on to the needy, and the light is transformed into something concrete, like a simple bowl of soup that gives the person another chance ... terrific concept.
                I actually did the visual effects for that campaign...not to toot my own tooter or anything :P

To this day, I'm still have people joking to me just how much they liked my "balls" on those spots.

That was another campaign directed by Ryan Kawamoto, btw...an extremely talented fellow.
                Last edited by melorama; February 1, 2006, 08:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
                  Personally, I feel the Aloha United Way ads are consistently good every year. I can't remember if the AUW campaigns are pro bono across the board but, if not, crew and talent are hired at greatly reduced rates. A different ad agency and director take on the account each year; then the cycle repeats itself. I'm remembering (perhaps not accurately!) that their efforts are pro bono.
                  All I know is that I only got half-bono for my part of the job :P

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
                    All I know is that I only got half-bono for my part of the job :P
                    The half you could take to the bank or the other half!

Comment

• Re: Favorite Local TV Ads!

About that Lost themed KFC ad. I arrived home kind of late tonight around 7:40 pm, turned on the TV, tune in to KITV and started to get my dinner ready. I saw the commerical thinking it was a Lost episode, the girl playing Shannon was dead on (pardon the pun), the Hurley character was okay up until the knife hit the tree next to his head, then I knew something was up.

The Locke character holding a 6 piece KFC bucket kind of confirmed that I was not watching an eariler that usual Lost episode.

Comment

my favorite ad was from the mid to late '80's, meadow gold ice cream, remember i believe micheal w perry asked which flavor is you favorite and all these characters would come out and say their favorite, and at the very end a polynesian warrior runs out with the spear and says, "Two scoop Vanilla" YES! thos were the days

Comment

Since I was a HonFed employee, I was very partial to the ones they had on back in the 70's. Especially the ones about "Honolulu Lulu". I was actually pictured in one of the early ads for the ATM machine - that was kind of cool!

Fran
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

I Liked the Ala Moana x-mass spots.
                            <G>
                            http://www.bartenderphd.com
                            http://wwwmyspace.com/bartenderphd

Comment

This thread never dies it lives on and on, I love it! You know I might just have some of these old ads on beta tape. I'd LOVE to market a locally produced DVD that people could buy to watch nothing but old local commercials. I wonder if people would buy it though!? Maybe I have to run it on Olelo or some form of public access programming.

I was watching an old newscast with Joe Moore and Les Keiter recently from 25 years ago! I bet I have more old footage than even some of the local stations have!

Sorry no Checkers & Pogo footage.....yet! I also have a old music video show hosted by Frank Shaner from 1980 and has I think Kamasami Kong judging a Space Invaders contest at the old Kuhio Mall.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                                KFC, locally, has a new "Lost" themed ad that had us giggling. (...) Totally cheesy, but in such a fun spirit. I can only hope it's one of a series!
                                Ditto to all of the above! I think I'll actually hit KFC for lunch today just as a symbol of support for the new ad!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X