Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OC 16 Stereo Broadcasting?

Howzit Gang!

Does anybody know if OC 16 broadcasts in stereo?

<G>
    <G>
    http://www.bartenderphd.com
    http://wwwmyspace.com/bartenderphd

Re: OC 16 Stereo Broadcasting?

Yes, it does.

Comment

Actually, this is incorrect. OC-16 does not broadcast period. They are a cable-only station. The only Hawai‘i stations that broadcast are KGMB9, KHON2, KITV4, KHNL8, KFVE5, KIKU10, KHET11 and six lesser-known stations (like that worship channel).

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

It's actually called cablecast.

DXer

Comment

when they do their live sporting events isn't that broadcasting?

Comment

Nope, technically to "broadcast" you need a transmitter. If you have a transmitter, you have station call letters like KITV, WGBN or the like.

But I'm sure the original questioner is actually asking if OC16 sends out a stereo audio signal, particularly important for their musical shows.
            Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

If OC16 is actually broadcasting in stereo, then I guess I didn't get the memo.

Ever since 2002 (when I started editing programs destined for air on OC16) and to this day, I've been told by Oceanic to deliver final masters with mixed mono audio tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by melorama
                Uh yes, melorama - there was no memo. As was mentioned earlier, OC16 doesn’t broadcast, period. The channel is exclusive to cable subscribers.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL
                  Uh yes, melorama - there was no memo. As was mentioned earlier, OC16 doesn’t broadcast, period. The channel is exclusive to cable subscribers.
                  While I appreciate your pedantic commitment to semantic accuracy, pretty much everyone I know in our industry (including, yes--broadcast engineers) uses the term "broadcast" to refer to an NTSC video signal being transmitted out to the public for mass consumption of said media. The actual medium over which that process occurs doesn't mean squat in the context in which the term is actually used.

Also, one of the largest industry events in the world (which nearly all of us attend in Las Vegas every year) is called NAB...The National Association of Broadcasters convention. It's a pretty large umbrella of a term

Now, let's try not derail this thread any further.

Aloha!
                  Last edited by melorama; February 15, 2006, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Nuff already!

broad·cast Audio pronunciation of "broadcast" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôdkst)
                    v. broad·cast, or broad·cast·ed broad·cast·ing, broad·casts
                    v. tr.

1. To transmit (a radio or television program) for public or general use.
                    2. To send out or communicate, especially by radio or television: The agency broadcast an urgent appeal for medical supplies.
                    3. To make known over a wide area: broadcast rumors. See Synonyms at announce.
                    4. To sow (seed) over a wide area, especially by hand.

v. intr.

1. To transmit a radio or television program for public or general use.
                    2. To be on the air: The station begins broadcasting at 6 A.M.
                    2. To participate in a radio or television program.
                    3. To send a transmission or signal; transmit.

n.

1. Transmission of a radio or television program or signal for public use.
                    1. A radio or television program: watched the morning news broadcast.
                    2. The duration of such a program.
                    3. The act of scattering seed.

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy

broad·cast Audio pronunciation of "broadcast" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (brôdkst)
                      v. broad·cast, or broad·cast·ed broad·cast·ing, broad·casts
                      v. tr.

1. To transmit (a radio or television program) for public or general use.

v. intr.

1. To transmit a radio or television program for public or general use.
                      2. To be on the air: The station begins broadcasting at 6 A.M.
                      3. To send a transmission or signal; transmit.
                      n.

1. To use the term broadcast the way melorama is using it.

USA TODAY, page 2A
                      11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by melorama

Ever since 2002 (when I started editing programs destined for air on OC16) and to this day, I've been told by Oceanic to deliver final masters with mixed mono audio tracks.
                        I master a couple shows to tape which are shown on OC 16, and one of the producers requested that certain audio tracks get panned and/or seperated from one side to the other. During an air check I noticed that there was indeed stereo seperation.

Nowdays it's OK to mixdown to stereo as long as it sounds OK in mono. Sometimes there can be phase shifting in a stereo mix and that can be a problem. But the real problem is the signal quality out of Oceanic and OC 16's indiscriminate use of an ALC on its programming. There's almost no headroom for peaks, and sound levels are getting crushed for no reason.

Regarding archaic terms, "broadcast" is just one of hundreds.

For example, the print industry uses the term "leading" to describe the distance between lines. Linotype lead has been out of use for decades. No one inserts strips of lead into a chase to change the distance between lines of type anymore. Yet the term persists.

Wheel alignment uses the terms "toe-in" and "toe-out". Tires have toes?

Cruise ships set sail. Sail? What sail?

And so on. But as long as everyone understands the fundamental concept, who cares?

Comment

WOW with the responces......Funny how a dart throw in words sparked such a fest.

Um I was only asking because the music shows that are on OC16 seem to be Broad/Cable-casted out in mono. Maybe I should check my rabbit ears on my motorola color TV
                          <G>
                          http://www.bartenderphd.com
                          http://wwwmyspace.com/bartenderphd

Comment

Working...
                          X