State of Radio In Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Radio In Hawaii

Does anyone else find it interesting that there have been no posts to the Hawaii Radio Forum in the past 80 days? Is this indicative of:

1. Reduced interest in radio by the general public?
    2. Lack of exciting and interesting radio stations upon which to comment?
    3. Consolidation leading to fewer radio personnel, thus fewer potential posters?
    4. Fewer live and local personalities on the radio?

I personally think the state of the radio business in Hawaii is at an all-time low. I am amazed at the lack format choices and the relative sameness from station to station. Voicetracking, in general, is poorly executed and has become a cost-saving crutch on too many radio stations. Very few stations have any news presence anymore. The liners (and the voices that record them) all sound alike. Creative commercial production is rare. There is little variety of music. Most of the talk programming is syndicated.

Radio programming in Honolulu, with very few exceptions, is horrible. And on the Neighbor Islands, it's even worse.

Consolidation was supposed to increase programming variety, based on the belief that a group with 2 or 3 or 4 strong billing stations could support and build audience for innovative "niche" programming on 1 or 2 stations. Unfortunately that hasn't happened.

What do you think?

Re: State of Radio In Hawaii

I would respectfully disagree... There is an overabundance of the same musical styles (at one point there were 3 hip hop music stations). There are three "hawaiian" stations (two of them sounding similar). There are 2 adult contemporary stations, and since 939.9 changed their format, 2 "old school" stations. On the AM side, there's a variety of talk radio- sports, Filipino, Korean, evangelical, and a ton of conservative talk radio.

When 93.9 changed their format, hundreds of people flocked to the facebook page.

I wouldn't say that radio is dying here, just not something that's exciting to talk about...

Comment

That is true. I barely listen to the radio anymore. I would say about 5-10 minutes of radio every two days.

With my iPhone, Pandora & Podcasts, THats all you really need.

i Know at one point, four stations were playing the same song at the same time. Of course it was different parts of the song, but thats when i said, okay Hawaii radio is at a all time low.

Comment

Originally posted by teeth63a View Post
        I wouldn't say that radio is dying here, just not something that's exciting to talk about...
        I still listen to the radio...but I don't hear much that excites me. Twenty years ago, however, it was much different. Fewer stations, but more excitement, more of a local feel, and 24/7 live programming.

Remember driving home late at night and listening to the live disc jockey? Someone you could even call with a request? Or knowing a storm was approaching on the weekend and tuning to your favorite radio station for information? Geez, radio pretty much failed us a few years ago with Big Island earthquake because most of the stations were on auto-pilot. I don't think things are any better today.

A few weeks ago, I needed to send a press release to the media. No problem finding contact information online for most of the state's newspapers. Radio stations, however, had no links to their news departments (probably because most of them have no news departments anymore) and I wound up emailing program directors, operations managers, sales managers, general managers, etc. Used to be they encouraged news tips. No more. Anyway, when I need to get information quickly, I now turn to the Internet. Not good for Radio.

And the reason you have two "old school" stations is because when one group started to show success with the format, another group jumped on the format with one of their so-so stations to reduce the first station's shares and retain advertising dollars for their group. It had nothing to do with the listener.

Radio isn't dying. But, it sure isn't in the best of shape either.

Comment

The only way a radio station can get more listeners is to have more cash giveaway contests.

Comment

I have about 6 radios, and I still listen from time to time... mostly to talk. For music it's usually iPod, iTunes and internet.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I LOOOVE NPR, anytime, anyday! I also like 105 KINE (the hawaiian music station), and I always listen to George Nori's Coast to Coast when I hit the sheets at night. I love our radio options....I only wish there were more!
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

(with a thick southern drawl)

"Yessiree, down here in the deep part of the South, we got's us both kines a'music......Hawaiian AND Reggae."
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

I agree that radio here in Hawaii and in the rest of the country is not as interesting as it was 2 decades ago. In the Philippines, radio is a whole lot more interesting to listen to. The Philippines doesn't have Clear Channel, Cox, Salem, or any other big conglomerates notorious for playing the same 300 songs over and over again. Radio in the Philippines plays a much wider variety of music, playing songs you won't hear on American radio. Radio in the Philippines also tells you what time it is. It's a shame that US radio has gone downhill. In 5 years, I'll be moving to the Philippines, where I'll never have to put up with Corporate America radio again.

Comment

the number of folks directly working in radio is a lot smaller now than it was even 6 months ago,hence, partially, the fewer posts. Plus radio basically sux totally now. My iPod has 1600 albums...the radio stations play 80 songs. Why bother anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                      the number of folks directly working in radio is a lot smaller now than it was even 6 months ago,hence, partially, the fewer posts. Plus radio basically sux totally now. My iPod has 1600 albums...the radio stations play 80 songs. Why bother anymore?
                      iPod lacks talk radio

Comment

iPod lacks talk radio
                        if talk radio offered anything new, I might care. But same old same old:why bother. Rick Hamada ain't gonna say anything new. Neither is Buck,nor any of the sports guys. I'll stick with my 14,000 songs

Comment

iPod lacks talk radio
                          iTunes has it's own version...podcasts!

Comment

The Golden days of radio ain't no more...I think with the advent of personal music players such as the iPod and other MP3 players plus with the proliferation of too many top-40 lists, people have become more tuned into their own music. As far back as the mid 80's there was ONLY ONE Top 40 list to read about. Now music is broken down by genre.

Radio was once upon a time, manned 24-hours a day with a live DJ to take your calls anytime of the day or night. Now on some radio stations even the midmorning and on drive times are voice-tracked with no one there to answer the phones.

About a month ago I visited my old dive at Clear Channel Hawaii. Sad to see the KSSK-FM studio on autopilot without Kathy with a K at the helm that Saturday, phone bank blinking madly and no one there to answer those callers.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              ... phone bank blinking madly ...
                              Which shows that people DO still listen to radio.

Comment

Working...
                              X