McDonald's Peach Mango Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonald's Peach Mango Pie

Hot on the heels (and deep-fried crust) of McDonald's Haupia and Taro Pie, since March 2008, McDonald's of Hawaii has been offering an exclusive Peach Mango Pie....

McDonald's of Hawaii Peach Mango Pie, two for $1.50 (or $1.09 each).

So waddaya' think? See poll.
    It tastes really "peachy"!
    0.00%
    It tastes really "mango-ey"!
    18.18%
    It tastes really "peachy-mangoey"!
    0.00%
    It tastes sort of like a combination of both
    9.09%
    It tastes taste like peach and/or mango in an artificial way
    9.09%
    The deep-fried crust is so good, a tire could be in it and I'd still love it
    0.00%
    Glad I tried it, but next
    9.09%
    It sucks
    27.27%
    Other (specify by post)
    27.27%
    Last edited by Pomai; May 30, 2008, 09:02 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: McDonald's Peach Mango Pie

I never tried it. And to tell you the truth I am not a mango eater.

Comment

I love mango but I'm not a fan of this McD's pie. Kind of reminds me of warm Play-Doh. I threw it away after two bites.

Comment

I haven't tried it because the taro and haupia pie crusts tasted like they were fried in the french fries oil.

Comment

It's allright. More on the mango side than peach. I am a big peach fan and was hoping for more of a peach flavor.
          n'importe

Comment

Aw shucks, I was hoping to read someone's review that said to try it cuz it looks good. Don't feel like eating play-doh though LOL... I DO like the taro pie a LOT but the haupia one is just okay IMO.
            I know you are but what am I?
            --------------------------------------
            I blog:
            www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by hulagirl View Post
              Aw shucks, I was hoping to read someone's review that said to try it cuz it looks good. Don't feel like eating play-doh though LOL... I DO like the taro pie a LOT but the haupia one is just okay IMO.
              Actually, upon first bite, my impression was, "hey! this tastes just like REAL, fresh mango!". I'd liken it to a Pirie. The slightly tart peach flavor certainly helps it out more than it detracts from it.

Then after maybe the 3rd bite, up until you're finished with it, your palate acclimates the flavor and it becomes just a homogenous combination of "something peachy-mango-fruity" gel-filled crust.

The filling isn't thick, starchy or pasty enough to taste like Play-Doh (and I've tried tasting the latter when I was a kid! lol). Also it's not overly sweet (a good thing), thanks in part to that acidic element from the peach.

Here's a tighter shot of the inside...

You can sort of see a small chunk of peach in it (look carefully towards the left side), but otherwise, it's mostly a pureed and thickened glob that obviously has yellow (and maybe a little red) food coloring in it. If it does have real mango in it, I'm guessing it's the imported Mexican variety, and not from aunty's back yard. lol Do we even have commercial mango growers in Hawaii?

Like I mentioned previously with the Haupia and Taro pie, it's a noble execution, but IMO the Apple is the still the best.

I'll rate this Peach Mango Pie a solid 2 out 5 Spam Musubi.

Shoots, for just $1.50 for 2, give them a try yourself (and perhaps a friend).

As a refresher, here's that Haupia Pie...

And the Taro Pie...

sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Ho Pomai, you can make anything look ono yeah?

Well, I guess I'll have to try it now since you said it doesn't taste like play-doh (I've tasted that too- but more recently when my daughter shoved her gross fingers in my mouth- blegh!)
                I know you are but what am I?
                --------------------------------------
                I blog:
                www.mamasdramas.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by hulagirl View Post
                  Ho Pomai, you can make anything look ono yeah?
                  Wow. My imagination is going wild right now.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                  USA TODAY, page 2A
                  11 March 1993

Comment

I don't know why deep frying stuff makes it more tasty for some. But, some people will deep fry a turkey even it's a fire hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                      I don't know why deep frying stuff makes it more tasty for some. But, some people will deep fry a turkey even it's a fire hazard.
                      lol

Last Thanksgiving, my friend's nephew attempted to deep fry a (big) turkey for their party. He got caught up doing other things around the house while it was cooking, not tending to it, and ended up burning it (black skin) and had to throw it away. Good thing had other food entrees people brought to make up for it.
                      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

The mixed fruit pie they had years ago was no ka oi.
                        Of course, they did away with it, but that saved me from continually burning the hell outta my mouth. It was so good I couldn't wait for it to cool, and would then fry my taste buds so I couldn't taste it. I'd have to buy another, and repeat the process...
                        https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Working...
                        X