What Melting Pot Groups are there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Melting Pot Groups are there?

Naturally, this is going to vary from the perspective you occupy, but what groups do you perceive in our hot little 'melting pot,' and (if you can) why.

My most recent take on this includes the following groups:

Hawaiians: Anyone with any Hawaiian blood at all, down to 1/32nd quantum, by their own (individual, not group) definition.

Locals: People born and bred in the islands, brought up in the local culture, may or may not have Hawaiian blood. Often includes immigrant groups brought in for plantation labor, such as Portuguese and Filipino.

Ha`ole: Originally intended to represent all non-Hawaiians, has lately been restricted to descendants of Caucasians, no matter if they fit into the 'local' description. Currently used as an indication of descendants of European with fair (light) skin color. Evidently, Portuguese consider themselves excluded from this group, for reasons that are unclear.

Oriental: Depending on who you talk to. Some group all Orientals together, others separate Chinese, Japanese and Koreans into separate groups, as they do among themselves.

OPI: Other Pacific Islanders, which include other Polynesians, Micronesians and Melanesians. In most cases a very minority group, semi-accepted into Hawaiian/Local culture because of cultural ties.

Popolo: People with some quantum of African descent. In the islands, many are military but a significant number are permanent residents (kama`aina).

Kama`aina: People not necessarily, but sometimes grouped into one of the above groups. Membership is not rigid, but it is generally expected that one has lived most of their lives in Hawai`i, or were born in Hawai`i. (Lit: "Child of the Land.")

Please inform me of any errors I have made (from your perspective - this is not for a professional paper for publication - and opinions are valuable), or additions you wish to make which I may have missed.

Note: This information may some day make it into a professional journal, though this is not my intention, so please strive not to be flippant and give accurate perceptions of the groups - for the sake of posterity.

Ka`onohi - Cultural Anthropologist
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: What Melting Pot Groups are there?

I think you've got a good perspective and definition of our 'melting pot.'
    What I've noticed for myself is that when people ask what "I am" and then
    I tell them I'm 100% Native American they always tell me well "I' am too
    and it's Cherokee," there's the proof that the Cherokee Nation is the largest
    of our people! Everyone is a 1/4 or part Cherokee including Cher.

Comment

I could be wrong but I don't think there is an okina in "haole".
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

one category that you may want to include is non european latino or hispanic.
        it is a growing population here and many latinos are making their permanent home here in the islands. i tend to think that theyare following in the footsteps of our earlier immigrant groups that did mostly agricultural work and then branched into home ownership and business.
        it is interesting since some anthropologists believe that hawaiian/polynesian roots can be traced to south american indigenous peoples
        the bigger the government the smaller the citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
          it is a growing population here and many latinos are making their permanent home here in the islands. i tend to think that theyare following in the footsteps of our earlier immigrant groups that did mostly agricultural work and then branched into home ownership and business.
          it is interesting since some anthropologists believe that hawaiian/polynesian roots can be traced to south american indigenous peoples
          Having had Puerto Rican neighbors while growing up, would they fall within this grouping?
          Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
            I could be wrong but I don't think there is an okina in "haole".
            By Ge`orge! You're right!
            Thank you for your polite and friendly correction.

According to Pukui and Elbert's Hawaiian Dictionary there is no `okina in haole.
            Last edited by Kaonohi; April 20, 2009, 02:27 PM.
            ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by escondido100 View Post
              1. Yes. Just as there are sub-groups of haole, so n-e-latino/hispanic (including Puerto-Rican) would be recognized as "one group" over here, but they may be sub-grouped with haole by others. Any ideas?

2. Leashlaws also alerted me to Native Americans, but I'm not certain if they would be accorded a separate category or lumped in with haole, even though they are genetically closer to Asians than Europeans.

3. While Thor Heyerdahl proposed that Polynesians originated in South America, very few anthropologists agree - VERY few (maybe 5 or 6).
              Some anthropologists reject totally any notion of contact or genetic exchange between Polynesians and South Americans, but this is mostly skeptical backlash from the Anti-Heyerdal groupies.
              Most anthropologists recognize the seafaring capabilities of the Polynesians were more than adequate for contact between Polynesia and all of the Americas, and there is spotty evidence here and there that supports the possibility of contact, but not origins.
              Currently the most accepted theory is that Polynesians originated in far Southeast Asia and migrated out through Indonesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia.
              Then there's also the largely rejected theory that Polynesians are descendants of one of the "Lost Tribes of Israel."

Perhaps that was TMI?
              ~ ~

Comment

This puts a different spin on the South American – Polynesian link.
                "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                  This puts a different spin on the South American – Polynesian link.
                  Excellent link, 68! Many arrogant, narrow-minded so-called scientists will be spitting dirt because of this one.
                  I hadn't heard yet (out of the loop), and I appreciate your notification.
                  K
                  ~ ~

Comment

Are you still peddling that disproven article? I'd much prefer hearing nothing of genetics rather than hear it incorrectly applied (there is no such thing as racial genetics, except as a statistical exercise; traits, yes; race, no).
                    May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Two groups. Good people and bad people.
                      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
                        Are you still peddling that disproven article? I'd much prefer hearing nothing of genetics rather than hear it incorrectly applied (there is no such thing as racial genetics, except as a statistical exercise; traits, yes; race, no).
                        Quite frankly, the whole concept of "race" is invalid. There are no clear markers to deliniate one "race" from another, and I prefer to avoid the use of that term professionally.
                        Sometimes, however, to communicate with individuals who don't understand the technical terms for discrete genetic markers, genetic drift and population trends, the term "race" is something they can grasp. (And our government is the biggest violator!)

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but I believe no one in this thread before you brought up anything about 'race' nor "racial genetics." Would you care to clarify your point?
                        ~ ~

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                          Excellent link, 68! Many arrogant, narrow-minded so-called scientists will be spitting dirt because of this one.
                          I hadn't heard yet (out of the loop), and I appreciate your notification.
                          K
                          As a teenager I was fascinated by Thor Heyerdahl’s book Kon-Tiki. The link I posted above seems to prove that there was communication between the prehistoric Polynesians and South-Americans. Is one descendent from the other, or did they just trade? That’s still a question.

As a subscriber to Archaeology magazine I find a lot of interesting tidbits like the one I posted above, including a find that seems to prove that prehistoric Chinese people regularly visited the west coast of North America.
                          "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it. Do not count on them. Leave them alone."
                          Ayn Rand

Comment

Originally posted by 68-eldo View Post
                            Is one descendent from the other, or did they just trade? That’s still a question.
                            They seem to have traded and of course other "contact" is likely but there is genetic evidence against the idea that one descended from the other.
                            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Since it is all subjective anyway, I freely modify to reflect my own thoughts:

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
                              Hawaiians: Anyone with any Hawaiian blood at all.

Locals: People from here; grew up here, or often spending the majority of their lives here. Anyone of any race can be (or become) a local; it is in their cultural behavior.

Haole: Caucasians with strong ties to Hawaii. Often confused with Malihini.

Malihini: People of any race who are not from here, or just moved here and are still disconnected to the cultural mores of the Locals, or have no real buy-in/inclination to connect.

Oriental: and Asian are people and artifacts from Asia. Not to be confused with Locals.

Polynesians and Micronesians Not. The. Same. At. All.

Pāʻele: Most here are either military or Rastas who live near natural food stores.

Kama`aina: see Local.
                              Also:

Ethnicity binds a people by language and custom. Race by genetics.

My ethnicities: Hawaiian, Chinese, Irish, German. My races: Polynesian, Asian, Nordic.

pax

Comment

Working...
                              X