X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Horrible commercial

Originally posted by cezanne
    Maybe they play it too much.
    They do play it too much! Just yesterday on FOX, they had that "Time on My Side" commercial...then the P Diddy Diet Pepsi commercial...then, they played that same "Time on My Side" commercial again!!! Twice in a minute and a half!!! Even my little one was "Not again!" heeheehee

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
      For one thing, it's meant to have a terrible world-weariness about it, and she's not old enough.
      You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        You got a point there. I just saw it again and this time it shows the singer... yeah she's just a kid.

the whole commercial is fulla giddy lil teenage girls. maybe this is their market.
        The singer, (never heard of her before, and don't care to again...) has a whiney thin voice. Anything will sell nowadays I suppose.

Comment

I told you that I just adore this commercial and I like singing it everytime it comes on which is all the time...well, my 80 yrs. old MAMA finally couldn't take it. She usually doesn't say anything negative, or shout at me...she told me, "SHUT-UP,SHUT-UP!" That song is driving me CRAZY! I wen jump so high my salad wen go all ova. I ain't going to even hum them f**** notes.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

another horrible commercial:
            eharmony :

This is one of those that ya just can't relate to. At least i hope you don't.
            After seeing it, I say; "I don't wanna end up like ANY one of those dimwitted syrupy chumps!"
            ...you know that commercial where that strange dude goes on glowingly about all these couples ending happily ever etc. and then we see a buncha couples right outta kmart central casting acting basically exactly the same.
            One girl's line is just this: "...and then he said the words: 'I luuuuvv yew', and then that's when... I knew!"
            knew what; that he loved you?

and another girl:
            "...we have seewww much in cahm MiiiiiEEEN!"
            and the the look on her face at the last moment, like:
            "EEEEE a mouse!"

depressing thing is; this site stands to make millions.
            Last edited by kimo55; April 4, 2005, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              another horrible commercial:
              eharmony
              I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                I like that commercial. The people on it seem like nice people and they seem sincere. That's rare to find in commercials like this. Plus, I'm a lonely, single, mid-thirties professional who lives alone, so it strikes a note.

nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
                EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  nooo, dude. they are fake. white bread christie minstrel types.
                  EeeeHarm has a rep for having a heavy Christian, anti-gay focus.
                  Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target
                  But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    Well. I'm heavy. I'm a Christian. That's two-thirds of the target

you ain't heavy, you mah bruddah!

akshuly, when I say heavy christian, I mean to an exclusionary level. and that ain't a very christianlike thing to do.

Comment

I think the eHarmony ads (they do radio too) are just right for what they're sellling.

Hell, there are dozens of matchmaking sites out there, many of them quite huge (besides eHarmony, I think Match.com and Yahoo! Personals are the most commonly cited). So, while some sites might differentiate themselves as, say, the place for satan-worshipping vegetarian furries to find dates, eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome single person" demographic.

Their whole business is modeled around their detailed profiled matching thingamagig, and whether or not they intended it to turn out the way it did, I wouldn't be surprised if conservative white upper-class Christians turned out to be the most enamoured of the ability to... well, filter out others.

If you don't like the people eHarmony wants to attract (thus the people in the ads), don't go there. Even you seem to agree that the people in the ads are representative of the user base... so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.

Comment

" eHarmony is going for the "discerning, wholesome ugly single person" demographic."

so your issue seems more with the people, not the ads.
                        hate em both!

Comment

An observation from Kimo55:
                          Or the egocentric genre "gitcher own box".
                          'me first and only' Ah dun share with any family member.
                          idiotic. What is this teaching kids?! (or even reinforcing to dimwitted adults?)
                          I was going back looking at the older threads in this post, and I was thinking to myself this observation by Kimo55 about the Cheez-Its ads is what makes Hawaii the great state is above the other 49. I can't think of any other place where a viewer sees the now quite obvious to me...the selfishness that the "gitcher own box" promotes. Geez..I've watched the commericials dozens of times, and I didn't think anything of it at the time. Me thinks I've been away from the islands too long...I too am becoming more of an East Coast jaded know-it-all than the humble island boy I used to be.
                          Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; April 7, 2005, 03:51 AM. Reason: Improperly quoted observation

Comment

gotta rant on dis one:
                            AMC.
                            "Movies for movie people".
                            but all we get is:
                            some chick:
                            "And I'm all like: Oh, EEEuuuu! that's so skeh-WEEE!"

and other couples basically telling us their reaction to other films
                            "I like when the car goes flying over the hill, i like car crashes, she doesn't." "Well, not too much" "yea. She likes some..." duuuh.
                            and quoting the most basic lines that everyone knows, with inane imitations:
                            "I'll make him an offuh he can't refuse.."
                            These are not "movie people"! They are the collective villiage idiots of Slobjerkistan! They have nothing perceptive to say about films! They give us no insight into their level of appreciation or understanding of the Hollywood product. because they have none.
                            This collection of buffoons are as much "movie people" as that road runner technician is a heterosexual.
                            infuriating.
                            Last edited by kimo55; April 8, 2005, 05:40 PM.

Comment

OK, here's one that gives me that fingernails-on-a-chalkboard feeling. Those commercials for Enzyte:

Narrator (in Don Pardo-ish voice): "This is Bob!"
                              Camera on a guy who is wide-eyed, smiling idiotically, dressed in garb that looks like it came out of the 1950s. Subject matter usually implies that after taking Enzyte, his golf swing improves and so does his performance in bed.

etc...etc...
                              Last edited by Keith H.; April 9, 2005, 09:14 PM. Reason: fix url tag...oops
                              http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

The commercial I really don't like is the Road Runner technician spot. He's boring his date with his virtuous proclamations of loving to shop for women's shoes, volunteering at the hospital, etc. Then he reveals he's a Road Runner technician. She pretends to be suddenly amorous, just to get him to fix her computer. Then, when he says he's finished: Thanks, can you see your way out? What a user.

Comment

Working...
                                X