Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's pissing you off at this very moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's pissing you off at this very moment?

Originally posted by HawaiiMama View Post
    It's another one of these wonderful nights where I can't sleep past 4 am...it's now 5:15 am PDT and here I am, trying to get sleepy again. Then, just as the sun starts to come up, I'll fall asleep. I hate this!! Seems like it comes in spells; I'll sleep well for awhile, then go through this. It isn't getting light enough to go for my walk till about 6:45, so here I sit... Can't stay in bed or I will wake my hubby with all my tossing & turning. Then, around noon, I'll be exhausted.

Anyone out there know a good resolution to this? I can take something at night that will help me fall asleep, but, 1) I don't wanna get hooked; and 2) it's great the first few hours, but then I wake up again, just like now. Several of my friends here have had this problem, too. Guess it's middle age...
    You say you're middle age... are you going thru menopause? I heard it's common to have interrupted sleep. My coworker had this problem, but it disappeared when she finally finished going thru menopause. Sorry, I don't have a solution for it... this is the first thing I thought of when I read your post.

Comment

Visiting and I can't figure out the remotes to get the darned "Today" show off the TV!

Comment

It's another one of these wonderful nights where I can't sleep past 4 am...it's now 5:15 am PDT and here I am, trying to get sleepy again. Then, just as the sun starts to come up, I'll fall asleep. I hate this!! Seems like it comes in spells; I'll sleep well for awhile, then go through this. It isn't getting light enough to go for my walk till about 6:45, so here I sit... Can't stay in bed or I will wake my hubby with all my tossing & turning. Then, around noon, I'll be exhausted.
        Anyone out there know a good resolution to this? I can take something at night that will help me fall asleep, but, 1) I don't wanna get hooked; and 2) it's great the first few hours, but then I wake up again, just like now. Several of my friends here have had this problem, too. Guess it's middle age...
        We should form an early-morning breakfast club. I've been dealing with this since I was a teenager.

I can't claim that the problem gets better with either age or experience, but here are some techniques that will at least make you feel you're trying to fix the problem:
        - No liquids after 7 PM, if that's waking you up.
        - If hunger is waking you up then consider a low-calorie high-fiber snack around 7 PM. I'm talking a small apple or a little plain oatmeal or a half-cup of Fiber One cereal. No sugar or alcohol.
        - Exercise more during the day, especially late afternoon/early evening. You'll be going to bed with your body that much more in need of restorative sleep. Unfortunately for me this means exercise every day.
        - A 30-minute nap after lunch (set an alarm). Of course this "works" a lot better when you don't have to be at work.

You could try a sort of autohypnosis technique. When you're ready to go back to sleep, focus on counting your breaths backwards from 100. Make a picture in your brain of the numbers as they come up so that you're not distracted with "to-do" lists or movie scenes or music soundtracks. After you do 100 breaths in one position, either change to a new position and start at 100 again... or give up and get up, comforted by the knowledge that at least you tried.

Another autohypnosis technique would be to watch a clock's digital display while counting your heartbeats. After 5-10 minutes you'll lose track and doze off. Or you'll be wide awake, totally focused on your pulse rate, and ready to get up.

If all else fails,
        - A later bedtime. You won't get more sleep, but you'll probably sleep later.

I've found that, if I'm dozing lightly between sleep cycles and my bedmate starts snoring breathing really heavily or irregularly, then I'm done sleeping. It becomes a choice between a good night's sleep and a harmonious relationship. I don't always choose wisely...
        Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
        Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
        We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
        Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

What's pissing me off?

The neighborhood high school's "senior project". Or more precisely, the principal's politics of making the senior project appear to be a successful program that the students are internally motivated to pursue for its valuable rewards.

If you're a teacher trapped between the students and the administration, you have my sympathies. It's so "high school". 227 days left...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Not middle age. Some people's body clocks just have a different setting. I have this same problem! My body likes to go to sleep around 5am and wake up at 10. No idea why. I've been that way since I was a teenager. I had to get on Lunesta to finally break that cycle and that does work for me- lasts all night. Not really habit forming, but when I don't take it, I go back to my old rountine of not sleeping. Only downside is it makes things taste funky in the morning. I figure it's better to take it and sleep than not take it and be up all night all the time.

And I've tried EVERY home remedy in the book and none of them worked. Neither did Benedryl. Neither did Tylonel PM or any OTC sleep aid or Melatonin. Or Ambien. It just got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore. I'm sorry you have this problem too. It's so frustrating. And there's nothing good on TV at 4:30.
            Last edited by surlygirly; October 2, 2009, 06:47 AM.

Can't think of anything creative this time

Comment

Ok....ok. I don't want to offend anyone.

Wat's pissing me Off at the moment?

Nutting.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; October 2, 2009, 09:04 AM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post

Nutting.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn
                Now dat pisses me off! Eh next saturday and sunday will be busy but will have time on friday the 9th when you fly in.
                Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                  Now dat pisses me off! Eh next saturday and sunday will be busy but will have time on friday the 9th when you fly in.
                  Ok. Will let you know. Looking forward in seeing you and your Ohana!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Ok. Will let you know. Looking forward in seeing you and your Ohana!
                    Hopefully you will meet my wife. Everytime she's flying off-island for work.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Nutting.

Carry on.

Auntie Lynn
                      same here.

besides the fact that eric and i have steady money coming in, a solid roof over our heads, a pantry and fridge with a nice amount of food, and working transportation that we adore, i'm quite happy that i can help my much less fortunate family in manila, whose home was flooded in last weekend's weather mayhem are so grateful right now even just to have cup-o-noodle to eat. by tomorrow, they'll be able to get more substantial food in their bellies, and get their place cleaned up.

after that, 90% of life's irritants just seem so trivial.
                      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

I think you're right, cyn. After this last week in Samoa and the Philippines, not much here to be pissed about. A dry bed, an intact home, a healthy family and enough money and stuff to share. I thank God and am currently looking for the place to send my offerings. Friends at work (and I am sure on HT, too) have family members that are lost; I cannot know their pain.

sorry for the drift. as auntie says, carry on.....

Comment

At this very moment I am pissed off that the neighbor started a big BBQ fire hours ago, and it is still smoking and smoldering and stinking up the neighborhood. The food is long ago cooked and everyone over there gone inside, but the dang fire is still burning and smoking.
                          Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

It's another one of these wonderful nights where I can't sleep past 4 am.
                            You're not alone. That's been happening to me for about the past six months! Almost always wake up within five minutes before or after 4am, and there's no earthly reason for it. No noisy neighbors, no alarms, no nothing. Sheesh! I've been an early riser ever since small kid time, but this is ridiculous.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

It's another one of these wonderful nights where I can't sleep past 4 am...[...]
                              Originally posted by surlygirly View Post
                              [...]I have this same problem! My body likes to go to sleep around 5am and wake up at 10. No idea why.[...]
                              Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              You're not alone. That's been happening to me for about the past six months![...]
                              Some potential causes and good discussion in this thread. I had the same problem and it got progressively worse. By the time a sleep study was ordered I couldn't sleep past 2am. I was diagnosed with a sleep disorder; one I would've never guessed I had. It's discussed in the referenced link. Too much sleep deprivation will piss anyone off!

Comment

Well, a real P.O. is this story out of South Carolina:

SC man gets 3 years in prison for sex with horse

CONWAY, S.C.— A South Carolina man caught on video having sex with a horse was sentenced Wednesday to three years in prison after pleading guilty for the second time in two years to abusing the creature.
                                Rodell Vereen was also ordered never to go near the stable where the horse's owner caught him and held him for authorities at shotgun point over the summer. He apologized to the woman and to himself after admitting to buggery at the Horry County courthouse.
                                "I'm sorry about what I've done. I didn't mean to do it. It's my fault. I'm sorry for what I've done to myself," Vereen said during Wednesday's court hearing.
                                Vereen was arrested in July after Barbara Kenley caught him entering the barn at Lazy B Stables in Longs, about 20 miles northeast of Myrtle Beach. She had been staking out the stable for more than a week after setting up a surveillance camera and videotaping Vereen's assault on her 21-year-old horse named Sugar.
                                Kenley said she became suspicious because her horse was acting strange and getting infections, and she noticed things were moved around the barn and dirt was piled up near the horse's stall.
                                It wasn't the first time she'd caught Vereen. In late 2007, Kenley found him asleep in the hay after assaulting her horse. For that offense, he also pleaded guilty to buggery, received probation and had to register as a sex offender.
                                On Wednesday, the judge sentenced Vereen to five years in prison, but he will only have to serve three years behind bars as long as he successfully completes two years of probation. Vereen also was ordered to undergo additional mental treatment after he gets out of prison and was told to stay away from Kenley's stable.
                                Kenley told The Sun News of Myrtle Beach she was mostly happy with the verdict, but wished Vereen had got more prison time.
                                "I've been through hell for the last year and it's caused a lot of hardship," Kenley told the newspaper. "There's a lot of ridicule and jokes going around about this thing. And a person can only take so much."

That's one sick sick dude.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X