No announcement yet.

What is your favorite LOCAL commercial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your favorite LOCAL commercial?

Rinso.

"I like da package."

It gets no better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by dick View Post
      Rinso.

"I like da package."

It gets no better than that.
      Oh the acting in that one was so bad...Okay now give me an astonished look...take 32. I can imagine the producer telling that young housewife in the cleaning aisle, "look lady think as if you just found out you're pregnant from your husband's best friend" There ya go now hold that thought...Rinso ad...take 33! And action...
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        Oh no, Sue, wasn't me. I'm not in the TV/film industry at all. I just remember the commercial well.

And yes, DNR55, the song was done by the Peter Moon Band (as well as by others).
        ======================
        I stumbled across a HwnTel spot last night. Here it is.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qVFYpFT4k
        The singer kind of sounds like Roland Caz. that's why I was confused in my mind. What a great production. I'm just a sucker for tear jerker slo-motion video, especially since my son is waayy overseas now.

Comment

Originally posted by DNR55 View Post
          What is your favorite LOCAL commercial past or present?
          I think this has come up in the past, but again my favorite all time:

1. First Insurance - 2 small kids are dragging a bowling ball up the stairs on a blanket. They reach the top, the bowling ball dislodges and rolls down the stairs, smashing into objects below and finally obliterating a fish aquarium and its contents before the voice over announces something about the firm.

2. I think it was either the Hawaii Visitors Bureau or Chamber of Commerce - The $20 bill that a visitor spent and how it circulated through our economy.

3. Hawaii State Office of Elections - A young boy and his grandfather are walking around a darkened state capitol with cameras watching their every move. It is an Orwellian future and the point of the message was the importance of voting before that future became a reality. Aired in the 1980s.

4. The old Lex Brodie Tire commercials - Thank You Very Much

5. Malcolm Love's Tire Warehouse Commercials - "Go Now Hawaii" so bad that in retrospect it is good because I still remember them.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            I think this has come up in the past, but again my favorite all time:

3. Hawaii State Office of Elections - A young boy and his grandfather are walking around a darkened state capitol with cameras watching their every move. It is an Orwellian future and the point of the message was the importance of voting before that future became a reality. Aired in the 1980s.
            ====================

Found this while searching for Patsy Mink documentary material

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taPPbLWnTBc
            Last edited by mel; March 16, 2008, 05:21 PM. Reason: add end [/quote] tag

Comment

======================
              I stumbled across a HwnTel spot last night. Here it is.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5qVFYpFT4k
              The singer kind of sounds like Roland Caz. that's why I was confused in my mind. What a great production. I'm just a sucker for tear jerker slo-motion video, especially since my son is waayy overseas now.
              This spot isn't ringing a bell at all for me and it should! Maybe tomorrow the gray matter between my ears will start releasing some info!!! Yes, that does sound like one of the Caz and the concept fits into the campaign that I produced, discussed above. But, for now, I don't recognize the spot or the talent. And I'm pretty sure the only time I worked with the Caz had to do with United Airlines.

Where are the brain cells when I need 'em?

Comment

Hawaiian Tel-Far Too Wide For Me

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                This spot isn't ringing a bell at all for me and it should! Maybe tomorrow the gray matter between my ears will start releasing some info!!! Yes, that does sound like one of the Caz and the concept fits into the campaign that I produced, discussed above. But, for now, I don't recognize the spot or the talent. And I'm pretty sure the only time I worked with the Caz had to do with United Airlines.

Where are the brain cells when I need 'em?
                ====================
                Here is why there is so much mental confusion about this great local spot;

Sample of Peter Moon Band version of "Far Too Wide For Me"
                http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/182_10.mp3
                Another version of the same song by also by Peter Moon Band.
                http://www.mele.com/hawaiianMP3s/181_06.mp3

Seems like there were 2 versions by different talent. The latter being the talent used in the comml.

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Tel-Far Too Wide For Me

====================

Seems like there were 2 versions by different talent. The latter being the talent used in the comml.
                  Ya know what? I'm wondering if the version that's used in the commercial is sung by Bobby Hall. We spent an entire night in the studio recording that song so I know a pre-recorded track wasn't used. Not particularly good at pulling all-nighters, I know I took several naps plus the 20+ years passage of time isn't helping my memory but I do remember Bobby singing. Whether it was lead or back-up, I don't remember. I do, however, remember it being the PMB and not the Cazimeros.

The only 2 spots I recall producing in that campaign were the homesick college freshman (with Hawaiian bracelet, dorm scene, party scene) and the dad and boy fishing (a sepia, flashback scene). The spot linked above is still completely foreign to my memory!

Comment

====================

That second link sure sounds like the Cazimero's except for the instrumentation in the background. The first is definately PMB. Too bad about the sister

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                      Ya know what? I'm wondering if the version that's used in the commercial is sung by Bobby Hall. We spent an entire night in the studio recording that song so I know a pre-recorded track wasn't used.
                      The only 2 spots I recall producing in that campaign were the homesick college freshman (with Hawaiian bracelet, dorm scene, party scene) and the dad and boy fishing (a sepia, flashback scene). The spot linked above is still completely foreign to my memory!
                      =====================
                      Bobby Hall must be the voice. His voice has a similar timber to Roland Caz.
                      That all-nighter paid off.

Comment

=====================
                        Bobby Hall must be the voice. His voice has a similar timber to Roland Caz.
                        That all-nighter paid off.
                        You're probably right as that link sounded like the Cazimero's but there was a bit of raspiness to the sound, making it not exactly as Roland would have sung it. Plus the instrumentation definately didn't sound CAZ at all.

Comment

My favorite wasn't really a commercial but it was hella funny.

"I like the cracka." Nuff said.
                          You can take the boy out of Hilo but you can't take the Hilo out of the boy!

Comment

Vote for Hiram
                            Vote for Hiram
                            Ha-wa-ii's fav-rite son!

We used to tease a classmate named Hiram at school by singing this old jingle for politician Hiram Fong.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                              I liked the Cinnamon Girl commercial. Simple, basic, free-flowing.

I also like the locally produced AIGH commercials...very well done.

I hated the Quick Lube commercials with the bobbing heads.
                              Is the AIGH commercial with the local girl Paris Hilton wannabe in it?
                              That's Hot!

Are the bobbing heads moving to the beat of Don't Hurt Me?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                                Is the AIGH commercial with the local girl Paris Hilton wannabe in it?
                                That's Hot![...]
                                Possibly CW is referring to the "Men in Black" series of spots? I doubt that female would be construed as a PH wannabe!

Comment

Working...
                                X