Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Now that we've thoroughly discussed Hawaii's Best Hamburger, it's time to discuss that other American classic, the HOT DOG!

Who serves the best Hot Dog you ever had here in the Aloha State? Also mention your favorite toppings!

Hot Dogs actually seem a scarce item in Hawaii. Usually I only see them served from carts or concession stands fronting big box retailers. If you know of that hidden gem, let us know!

With that in mind, to be honest one of my favorite is the BIG BITE from 7-11. Ha! I like it because the bun usually has a nice crisp to the crust, yet it's soft and pliable inside, with a sort of buttery flavor. Can't beat the Oscar Meyer in it also. Top that with the works: Ketchup, Mustard, Onions and Relish with a Slurpee on the side and I'm good to go!

By far one of my favorite is actually more a spin on the corndog called the ANDADOG. You can only find this in September on Labor day weekend at the Okinawan Festival. They usually make it by sticking a wood stick in half of a cheap "BarS" type dog (hey, it's a fundraiser, ok?), then dipped in traditional Andagi batter (Okinawan doughnut) and deep-fried until GBD. So ono!

In fact, I just bought some Andagi batter from Marukai and I'm going to attempt making ANDADOGS at home. Except I'm gonna' use the Polish Sausage from Costco. I'll keep ya' all posted on the results.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: Hawaii's Best Hotdog

KC waffledogs. The Pearl Harbor PX parking lot hotdog stand...with kraut and mustard. Or chili and onions.
    http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
    http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

Best deal...not necessarily the best tasting...

Has got to be the Costco ones!

Comment

Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Consolidated(Gawd, I miss them) theaters hot dogs.... also Costco's is good.

Mustard and a little sauerkraut or relish and onions, but NO CATSUP!
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

The only problem I have with Costco's is the buns are usually soggy from sitting in that foil wrapper in the steamer.

Just like a good hamburger, a good hot dog should have a lightly toasted bun.

Speaking of Consolidated, something about paying over $3.00 for a hot dog in a theatre just makes it taste that much better. Must be a psychological justification for the guilt that I've just spent WAY TOO MUCH for it.

One of the most expensive hot dogs I've ever seen on a restaurant menu is at The Shack... $3.95-6.95 just for the hot dog, which doesn't even include a side dish or drink.
          Last edited by Pomai; May 19, 2006, 12:01 PM.
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Woody's carts are the closest you can get to the ones they used to sell at their little shop on Fort Street Mall near Rada's. I tend toward the Polish Sausage, myself.
            http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by SusieMisajon
              KC waffledogs.
              Gone. Closed. R.I.P.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Woody's at CompUSA on Ala Moana... with the garlic sauce, ketchup, mustard, relish and kraut... ONO.

Eastside Grill has a pretty good hot dog on the menu, too...

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  Gone. Closed. R.I.P.
                  Umm... kinda-sorta, but not really.

All Asato needs is an investor, it looks like...

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai
                    . Speaking of Consolidated, something about paying over $3.00 for a hot dog in a theatre just makes it taste that much better. Must be a psychological justification for the guilt that I've just spent WAY TOO MUCH for it.
                    ....or maybe it taste better in the dark!
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

For sure you can't beat the price of Costco and Sam's Club hot dogs (and polish sausage) at $1.50 with a cup of unlimited soda. As far as the condition of the buns I think Costco at Iwilei does it better than Sam's Club at Keeaumoku, but I suspect it's part of my timing since normally I would be eating lunch at Costco while it would be dinner time at Sam's Club.

Also Costco has the additional deli mustard.

It's been a long time since I had a 7-11 hot dog, I do like the cheese topping that is available.

Movie hot dogs. Dole Cannery when it was a Signature had a seperate station where they sold ice cream, soda and a different types of hot dogs like the Hawaiian Spicy Link and another type that I can't remember.

However I have to admit the best place to have a hot dog in a movie theater is Kukui Grove Cinema in Lihue, 4 different kinds of hot dogs at slight cheaper price than what Oahu theaters charge. Of course their soda fountains dispense Pepsi products as opposed to Coke products sort of off-sets their non-stadium seating arragements.

Comment

A had a good dog from da Food Pantry deli, believe it or not . Its a all beef hot dog (with or w/o cheese) served fresh on a toasted bun, w/ pickle and choice of potato, mac or slaw for $4.00.

Comment

a portuguese sausage hotdog with a sweetbread bun found at any respectable gas station near you.
                          Last edited by Pua'i Mana'o; May 19, 2006, 01:30 PM. Reason: ...because a verb and an adjective are two different things...

pax

Comment

Ooooh... if we're doing variations of the classic hot dog, then i also put in a vote for the ones you can get at Panya in Ala Moana... Japanese style, with the hot dog baked into a bun with some mustard... yum...

Comment

Since some of us are talking about "olden days," the hot dog I'll always get misty-eyed over is the thirty-five cent dogs in fresh-baked sesame-seed buns at the walk-up window at what used to be Bakery Kapiolani (and is now Golden Duck) on King and Piikoi. Sigh. I heard they were a quarter just a short time before I discovered them in my senior year of high school (1987).

The cart at CompUSA used to do grilled dogs; I don't think it does that anymore. I love 'em grilled because the casings get crisp and they have that awesome snap when you bite into 'em. I think there's a guy down by the Kamehameha statue who does grilled dogs.

Oooh, now I'm hungry.
                              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                              X