Checkers and Pogo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checkers and Pogo

There was a Wigmam on Dillingham too, anyone know what it occupies these days?

I saw a newspaper from 1969 the other day and saw that there were only 4 Safeway's on the island: Beretania/Manoa/Pali/Kailua.

And while looking at the newspapers and all the local ads and cheap buys out came a Checkers & Pogo autographed picture stuck between the newspaper.

KalihiBoy

Comment

Re: Checkers and Pogo

Talking about C&P at work this past Friday and other cartoons came up: Space Angel (which was like Clutch Cargo, only lips move) and Ruff and Ready. Someone even remembered that Gilligan's Island was right after lol.

Comment

Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

A sad aloha to Mr. Checkers of Checkers & Pogo fame....

http://kgmb9.com/kgmb/display.cfm?st...11688&sid=1183

Aj

Comment

Re: Mr. Checkers (Jim Demarest) passes away

Aloha Bruddah,

I grew up wid U.

Aloha

Comment

I went to two Checkers and Pogo tapings when I was a kid.

R.I.P. Mr. Checkers

Comment

WOW! How the heck did that miss getting more attention in the local news?

Been on the show twice. (or was it three - way too long ago.) Watched it a lot.

I wonder what the plans are for any memorials here? It could easily turn out to be a large event. Maybe bigger then Don Ho.

Comment

Mr. Checkers was also played by the late Dave "Moose" Donnelley (ex-Poi Boy DJ) and Jim "Weather Eyes" Hawthorne.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                  Mr. Checkers was also played by the late Dave "Moose" Donnelley (ex-Poi Boy DJ) and Jim "Weather Eyes" Hawthorne.
                  True. But from the dates, Jim would be the closest to being "the" Mr. Checkers. The others didn't stay on that long. Only a little over a year between the two of them. Jim did it for 11 years.

Comment

I thought Checkers and Pogo went off the air in 1982, if so who played the Checkers character after Demarest left in 1979?

Aj

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
                      Aloha Bruddah,

I grew up wid U.

Aloha

Same here...
                      I watched it heavily as a keed when I used to live at 1426 Liliha Street.
                      Used to go to Likelike Elementary School and watched it b4 I went to skool.

Mr. Checkers thanks for the memories that will forever live in my heart.

Comment

Pogo Pogue (Morgan White) did the show by himself for the last few years. I think the show was still called "Checkers and Pogo."

Sad to hear of Mr. Demarest's passing. Condolences to the family.

Here's a link to an old story from a few years back:
                        http://starbulletin.com/1999/03/18/features/story4.html
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I'm sad to hear of his passing too.

I use to watch Checkers and Pogo too.

Auntie Lynn
                          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Man I feel old. Lippy Espinda, Lucky Luck, Captain Honolulu, Checkers (two times over) all gone.

So who are the local idols for today's local kids now anyway?
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Too many other diversions for today's kids, so there are no "kiddie shows" on local TV. We had THE POSSE, BOZO THE CLOWN, SKIPPER JACK, SKIPPER AL, CAPTAIN HONOLULU, CHECKERS AND POGO, plus sci-fi and adventure serials like CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT/JET JACKSON, RAMAR OF THE JUNGLE, SEA HUNT, JUNGLE JIM, COMMANDO CODY (the "sky marshall of the universe"), and ROCKY JONES (space ranger) that held our attention. Not to mention the Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Porky Pig clubs at the neighborhood theaters for Saturday morning cartoons and a western/war/sci-fi flick.

My kids go to Anime conventions and video game rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                                Man I feel old. Lippy Espinda, Lucky Luck, Captain Honolulu, Checkers (two times over) all gone.
                                Yep... seems like only Morgan White remains... from the bygone dayz.

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                                So who are the local idols for today's local kids now anyway?
                                Snoop Dog? Paris Hilton? Oh... they're not local.

Originally posted by oceanpacific

We had THE POSSE, BOZO THE CLOWN, SKIPPER JACK, SKIPPER AL, CAPTAIN HONOLULU, CHECKERS AND POGO, plus sci-fi and adventure serials....
                                I like sci-fi and some anime. "Checkers & Pogo" as well as "Captain Honolulu" were some of the first places I saw sci-fi and anime (in a later time after the original sci-fi serials were largely gone): Astro Boy, Hercules, Speed Racer, Princess Knight, The Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet & the Mysterons, Space Ghost, Space Angel, Clutch Cargo... plus in prime time they used show Johnny Quest and of course The Flintstones and The Jetsons.... all fun stuff for me... Saturday mornings... Underdog, Fireball XL5....

And don't forget the lady on the local "Romper Room" show.... was it Robin Mann? And on KGMB in the morning there used to be "Captain Kangaroo" featuring Bob Keeshan....

Some of the old black & white serials were shown on local stations Sunday mornings. KHVH TV (later to become KITV) countered "Checkers & Pogo" programming in the afternoon with cheesy American International type sci-fi, monster and teen flick movies.
                                I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                                X