Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Jukebox
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 1st, 2008, 02:38 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Default New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Here's a place for us to discuss music released this year. I always have a hard time compiling my "best of" lists at the end of every year, so I thought if we all collectively commented as the year went along, it might be easier for us. Or for me.

Plus, you just can't listen to everything. So if you want to tell us to steer away from something, or if something's a "get it NOW," please advise!
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:49 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

I just gave Cat Power's new album, Jukebox, a first listen. It's mellow, spare, and confident. An all-covers album (I dig all-covers albums in confident hands!), it touches bases with Frank Sinatra, Hank Williams, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Janis Joplin, among others. I always give an album at least five listens before I attempt to rate it, but it's an early 8 for me.
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:28 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to zztype

Funny you should ask. No fresh albums since 1989's Cosmic Thing. But today on iTunes:

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...98102&s=143441

Yup. Bought it in a flash. And the new album is due out by the end of March. I can't wait!

B-52's!
Old February 1st, 2008, 04:36 AM
Ali`i

Also recently bought Ringo Starr's Liverpool 8, new single.

And: Legendary Albums Live: Heart Dreamboat Annie

Oh, yeah. It's good. The album includes Heart doing Misty Mountain Hop (Zep) and Love Reign O'er Me (The Who) covers.

I picked up The Battle of Evermore (Ann and Nancy Wilson) and Immigrant Song (Ann Wilson) as singles to fatten the pot.

And I picked up Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here because it was cheap on iTunes. Not a bad album. Not as good as DSOTM or Meddle, but good.
Old February 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype View Post
B-52's!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztype View Post
Also recently bought Ringo Starr's Liverpool 8, new single.
So...what did you think? How did they sound?

I saw Ringo play "Liverpool 8" on Letterman and on Ferguson last month. You could tell Ringo wrote the lyrics: The words are terrible! So at first, my reaction was, "Holy cow, Ringo still can't sing for crap." Then, "Geez, these are some stupid lyrics!" Then by midway through the song? I was singing along. Couldn't help it. Dave Stewart's melody is so catchy you can't help but enjoy it. And...I guess that says everything you have to know about Ringo. He's not the most talented lyricist or vocalist, but how do you not like him? It's impossible. This was my reaction BOTH times I heard him perform last month.

Oh, and for the band that played on Ferguson, he had this beautiful guitarist/violinist! I have been unable to track down her name. But Ringo played a four-song set that night, and I couldn't take my eyes off of her!
Old February 1st, 2008, 02:21 PM
Ali`i

Well, through September of last year I'd bought a fair number of CDs, mostly replacing vinyl copies of things. Since then, I've gotten a few greatest hits compilations (Steve Miller, Carpenters, Clapton).

I'm stuck in the 1970s.
Old February 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
Ali`i

The B-52's are in TOP FORM. No mistaking it. This new cut is every bit as good as their 1989 stuff, hard rocking, driving beat, catchy hooks, killer guitar work, flat-tone Fred keeping everything moving along. Very cool, can't wait for the rest of the album. And looking at the cover art, the women look FANTASTIC, especially considering how long they've been around. Wheehah!

Re: Ringo. You pretty much said it: Ringo is Ringo. There is only one. How do you not like that guy? The song is OK, I've played it a few times now. I still can't remember much what it sounds like, but it sounded like Ringo and it made me happy. I remember that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
So...what did you think? How did they sound?

I saw Ringo play "Liverpool 8" on Letterman and on Ferguson last month. You could tell Ringo wrote the lyrics: The words are terrible! So at first, my reaction was, "Holy cow, Ringo still can't sing for crap." Then, "Geez, these are some stupid lyrics!" Then by midway through the song? I was singing along. Couldn't help it. Dave Stewart's melody is so catchy you can't help but enjoy it. And...I guess that says everything you have to know about Ringo. He's not the most talented lyricist or vocalist, but how do you not like him? It's impossible. This was my reaction BOTH times I heard him perform last month.

Oh, and for the band that played on Ferguson, he had this beautiful guitarist/violinist! I have been unable to track down her name. But Ringo played a four-song set that night, and I couldn't take my eyes off of her!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Here's a place for us to discuss music released this year. I always have a hard time compiling my "best of" lists at the end of every year, .....
I haven;t bought much new music so far this year. I tend to be "single track" oriented, so often for artists that I may be a bit interested in, I'll opt to buy a single track from either iTunes or Amazon. Lately Amazon because all of their tracks are DRM free and some are 10 cheaper than iTunes.

I still buy album length CDs when they are on sale at BestBuy (for $9.99 or less), many of them new titles by new artists as advertised in the store's weekly circular. I compare these to whatever is new on iTunes/Amazon and listen to the sample tracks when available. I like hearing full length tracks before I buy an album, but often that is not possible.

Other CDs are just catch ups to round out my collection...older titles that I am still upgrading from vinyl.

In the end, I do compile a list of my favorite single tracks for the year and rip all of my music from purchased CDs to my iTunes with some going into my iPods for regular play.

That all said, so far this year, I have only bought the new Ringo Starr single "Liverpool 8" which I like despite its previously mentioned shortcomings. It's a song about his life and another tribute to The Beatles.

The only other new music I have so far is the new album by Radiohead which someone gave to me as a late Christmas gift. I am not their biggest fan and I classify them as an acquired taste. Still some songs I have found to be good enough to include in my "current hits" iPod mix and loaded into 3 of my 4 iPods. Best tracks to me are "Jigsaw Falling into Place" and "Weird Fishes".
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
Ali`i

Here's just a gentle reminder that there are other threads where we are discussing our favorites in general and our recent favorites. If we focus our energies in this thread to music released in 2008 (and relevant comments, of course!), we'll have a nice look back at the year in music by the end of the year, or perhaps we'll have forgotten all about this thread. Either way, let's try to keep it to 2008, please?
Old February 2nd, 2008, 01:45 AM
Ali`i

I bought Ringo's album today at the iTunes store. Listening to it now. It's a lot lusher than the performances I've seen. The album credits say "produced by Ringo Starr and Mark Hudson" but then "Re-produced by Ringo Starr and Dave Stewart." A quick Google reveals that Starr and Hudson had a falling-out. I have to say the sound is pretty good, especially on that first track.

The artwork is lovely.

The thing about this album is that it seems like an indulgence. True, if any two musicians alive today are entitled to being indulged, they are Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney, yet one almost feels like one is looking through someone's vacation photos much of the time, at least on first listen.

I will disagree with Linkmeister and say that Ringo is an underrated drummer. Some of what he does on songs such as "Obla Di Obla Da," for example, reveal at least a thinking drummer who knows what he's doing.

On this album, the vocals are fine. Given the chance to record as many takes as necessary to get it right, Ringo can certainly hit the notes. He simply can't do it live, but I didn't buy a live album.

So far, so good. Still only halfway through.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM
Luna

The new Lenny Kravitz and Jack Johnson albums come out on Tuesday. Still pondering on whether or not I should go for the Kravitz, although the bonus DVD in some editions have some nice extras.

Jill Scott has a live CD coming out too, so I look forward to that. I also anxiously await the big Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 box set. Let's hope he doesn't delay it yet again.

As for what I've been listening as of late, new music from Power Struggle, Cire Mayo, Y-Love, and a 2CD collection of airport sounds called Airport Symphony.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM
Luna

Thumbs up Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Quote:
I bought Ringo's album today at the iTunes store. Listening to it now. It's a lot lusher than the performances I've seen. The album credits say "produced by Ringo Starr and Mark Hudson" but then "Re-produced by Ringo Starr and Dave Stewart." A quick Google reveals that Starr and Hudson had a falling-out.
I didn't know about that, and that's too bad since Mark Hudson is a great musician and producer, and also heavily influences by The Beatles, just listen to the old Hudson Brothers records. In fact, they did a song (I believe for Elton John's Rocket label) where it was a mini-opera not unlike side 2 of Abbey Road, right down to the vocal harmonies so... maybe Ringo felt left out.

Quote:
I will disagree with Linkmeister and say that Ringo is an underrated drummer. Some of what he does on songs such as "Obla Di Obla Da," for example, reveal at least a thinking drummer who knows what he's doing.
He gets a lot of flack just because he's Ringo, but he is an incredible (and consistent drummer). "I Am The Walrus", "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Drive My Car", and also check out all of the session work he did in the early 70's, especially with Howlin' Wolf and BB King. People may have hired him for his status, but he could do the job very well.
Old February 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
If we focus our energies in this thread to music released in 2008 (and relevant comments, of course!)
Specifically released in 2008, and not just acquired in 2008 (even if released in late 2007?) Then I will say I was pleased to see the new three-disc set of the "Blade Runner" soundtrack by Vangelis, released to coincide with the multi-disc DVD re-issues of the film. (Yes, this counts, as it has brand-new material in addition to the soundtrack and other older bonus tracks.)

Next to pick up: "Day Trip" from the Pat Metheny Trio and Philip Glass's score for "Cassandra's Dream."
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Ali`i

Sheryl Crowe's new Detours is awesome

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old February 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ali`i

That's not supposed to be out until Tuesday. Did you get an advance copy?
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
That's not supposed to be out until Tuesday. Did you get an advance copy?
sHHHHHHHHH......... http://rapidshare.com/files/87825648/DetShe.rar

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
Flickr
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Luna

Talking Re: New Music 2008: Whadja Get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear View Post
hanakokolele
Old February 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM

For those who still like to buy regular CDs, BestBuy has the following new releases on sale for $9.99 this week starting on Tuesday:

Sheryl Crow - Detours - $9.99
Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static - $9.99
Lenny Kravitz - It's Time for a Love Revolution - $9.99

The $9.99 discounts apply to single CD new releases for the first week only. After this coming Saturday the prices get jacked up to the usual $14.99, though at times during the year, some of the current albums are put back on discount again. You just have to check the weekly BestBuy ad every Sunday.

I'll probably get the Sheryl Crow and Jack Johnson.
I already own the Jack Johnson single "If I Had Eyes" that was released before the album in December. Bought it from Amazon.com.

I would consider a late December release as part of the new releases for 2008. That Radiohead album comes to mind as the regular CD version and iTunes came out on Dec. 28. Most critics and people who keep track of these things will consider this album a 2008 release.

If you look at the Grammy Awards, some of the music being honored for this year actually came out in 2005 or 2006.
Old February 4th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: New Music 2008: What I am gonna get

Don't have the final scoops, but both Sudden Rush and Tricky should be putting out CDs this year.

pax
Old February 4th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Ali`i

OK, this is kinda "Jukebox". Spotted a DVD with the Buddy Holly Story and La Bamba (Two stories, one tragic ending) on sale at Safeway $6. Couldn't pass it up.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
If you look at the Grammy Awards, some of the music being honored for this year actually came out in 2005 or 2006.
Which ones are those, Mel?
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Which ones are those, Mel?
Nominee for song of the year.

Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's - released on CD January 25, 2005.

Hey There Delilah - by Plain White T's
single release - May 9, 2006.

It seems like this song was just under the radar for 2 years before it became a hit last year. The iTunes track of the single says Copyright 2005 Fearless Records.

So what if the track was re-released on another record label in 2007? It is still the same song. The hit, everyone knows it. Someone at Hollywood Records probably pulled strings on this one.

----------------------

Nominee Best New Artist

Feist? - hmmm... she's been around at least since 2004. I bought a single by her called "One Evening" that year. Sure she is big stuff in 2007 with her hit "1 2 3 4"..... but still... a new artist?

----------------------

Nominee: Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

U2 - "Windows in the Skies" - released November 21, 2006
So I guess late 2006 albums count?

If that is so, late 2007 releases should count in this thread. We will be following industry practice.

----------------------

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

Gwen Stefani with Akon - "The Sweet Escape"
Released on CD Dec. 5, 2006.

Certainly older songs being nominated for the 2007 year are not that plentiful but it has occurred. Supposedly they get around this through technicalities such as late release dates for the previous year, or late blooming hits as in the case of Plain White T's and Feist.

Still the bottom line is not all of the songs or artists (that I know of at least) have music specifically released in that year unless re-releases or late popularity figures in.
Old February 6th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Kanaka

I gotta say, I was real impressed with local artist Rob Yamanoha's cd "Better". I just saw his video Waialua Skies on youtube.

Geebz
Old February 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Haumana

Hmmmmm...maybe this is considered 2007, but the new Eagles cd is great, true to form Eagles stuff. Saw them in concert in November and just had to get the new cd. Ok...getting off the path, but if you have a chance to see Van Halen, Eddie ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!! Met Shimon from the Sick Puppies this week. Have you seen/heard about their Hugs campaign? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr3x_RRJdd4 Yeah, picked up their new cd Dressed Up As Life. They're up and coming. Recently opened for Evanescence.

Keyshia Cole's cd is probably my next purchase. Going to her post Grammy Party on Sunday.