Color Symbolism Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Symbolism Question

Is there a traditional Hawaiian association with the color purple?
    ~'Ailina

Re: Color Symbolism Question

Originally posted by Ailina
    Hui Ailina:
    I found the following information on the www.alohavalley.com website. Maybe Tutulady or Kalani have a different explanation:

The Hawaiian Independence Flag consists of three horizontal bars, white, gold, and black respectively. In the center of the gold rests a purple kahili.

The white and black bars represent the balance of all things - Heaven and Earth, night and day, the positive and negative.

The gold represents the entire human `ohana (family), with precious life as pure as golden light.

The purple represents the original inhabitants of the Hawaiian Archipelago, Na Kanaka Maoli, caretakers of the Spirit of Aloha.

The Kahili is an ancient symbol of communication between Heaven and Earth, inspiring leadership of the `ohana. The Kahili is embraced by La`i, leaves of Ti, a sacred plant of Hawai`i with powers of spiritual protection and healing.

Link:http://www.alohavalley.com/pacific/hawaii-ind.php

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mahalo, Miulang. I appreciate you passing that on to me. I researched it myself and didn't come up with anything, which is why I posted the question here. I was sure someone here would know something--or know where to find it!
      ~'Ailina

Comment

I have yet to see anything purple that is associated with the ancestors of old. Sacred colors denoting status, veneration of the gods (colors associated/sacred with/to them or their many forms) , geneology, function and location are reserved to the colors red, yellow, white, black, and green... colors you'll see/mentioned in ancient artifacts and chants or oral histories, etc.

Considering the great influence of foreign interaction and the travels of our modern ali'i, post Kamehameha I, I think elevation of the color purple to symbolic importance is probably more of a modern development myself. One can see this just by looking at the royal regalia worn by the later day ali'i as well as all the accourtments that came with Kalakaua's coronation.

Of course, I am only surmising... and cannot state for certain what, if any, association purple might have had in ancient or traditional cultural practices. Definitely something to ask na kupuna about though.
        He leo wale no...

Comment

Originally posted by Tutulady
          Sacred colors denoting status, veneration of the gods (colors associated/sacred with/to them or their many forms) , geneology, function and location are reserved to the colors red, yellow, white, black, and green... colors you'll see/mentioned in ancient artifacts and chants or oral histories, etc.
          I wonder if there's some accidental blending of all things royal, considering that among Western cultures, purple is definitely more often associated with kings, queens, and courts. Someone with that in their subconscious might easily assume that the same associations existed in the Hawaiian culture.

I remember there being a lot of purple used in Iolani Palace and in other royal residences, but like you say, by that point in the monarchy, I think there was a lot of Western influence on general aesthetics -- architecture, fashion, interior design. If King Kalakaua ordered a fancy thingamabob for his summer home, it might very well have been purple, depending on where he obtained it.

Purple is the "official island color" of O`ahu, as we see in the Aloha Festivals. But heck, that was put into the books as recently as 1999.

Comment

And the reason European royalty was associated with purple was that purple dye was the most expensive kind. I think it came from some kind of sea snail in tiny quantities; you needed thousands of snails to make a pound of dye. Expensive/rare = high status. In Hawai'i, that would be those yellow o'o feathers, where each bird had only two good feathers to give.

Comment

I read recently that purple has religious associations, too--as with Catholicism. The majority of Hawaiians converted to Christianity were Protestant, is this correct? So a religious association in Hawaiian culture is probably not likey, correct?
              ~'Ailina

Comment

Purple is known throughout the world symbolizing the following: royalty, power, nobility, luxury and spirituality.

Just adding to what you've all said.

Comment

I'm sorry when I see purple I think Filipino. There was this house in Kalihi in the early 60's owned by this filipino man and his house was painted completely purple.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I read recently that purple has religious associations, too--as with Catholicism. The majority of Hawaiians converted to Christianity were Protestant, is this correct? So a religious association in Hawaiian culture is probably not likey, correct?

Kamehameha Schools is considered Protestant and students are required to attend church services while in school.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                      Purple is the "official island color" of O`ahu, as we see in the Aloha Festivals. But heck, that was put into the books as recently as 1999.
                      For long as I can remember, purple was Kauai's color.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
                        For long as I can remember, purple was Kauai's color.
                        I think you're right. I thought Oahu's color was orange (or yellow) for the ilima.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                          I'm sorry when I see purple I think Filipino. There was this house in Kalihi in the early 60's owned by this filipino man and his house was painted completely purple.
                          Were you a kid then?

Comment

I'm still a kid but my body tells me I'm 44.

Comment

Hi,

I disagree with the majority of the population of Hawaiians were protestants. Princess Pauahi was a Protestant but most of the Ali'i were congregational. Ka'ahumanu, Queen Emma, Kamehameha IV, and King Lunalilo. Cheifess Kapiolani established the Catholic pressence in Hawaii.
                              The color purple was told to me to represent the menehune's. They would appear and disappear in a purple mist. When an Ali'i died, they would come before sunrise carrying Kahili's to show them where to go. A place called Kanaloa Honua. Pink and purple was the colors.
                              I believe red,yellow,and white was colors of the Tahitian race. But Purple, pink and black are significant of the original Hawaiian race.
                              This is my opinion, from what was told to me from my ancestor's.

Comment

Working...
                              X