Duk Kee Restaurant (Kaimuki)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duk Kee Restaurant (Kaimuki)

Today, I ordered 2 orders of crispy gau gee mein to go. Got home, and discovered only 10 small squares of noodles - far less than what should have been in 2 orders. A reasonable explanation was that I was given only 1 order, so I called back to ask. The lady at the restaurant swore she personally observed the cook put 2 orders in the bag.

Rip-off. I'll never go back there again.

Sorry, I just had to share/vent.

Re: Duk Kee Restaurant (Kaimuki) - Ripoff!

hmm...hard to say. sounds like you should've drove back to show you got just one order.
    Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

two orders of crispy gau gee min from duk kee = two separate plate lunch-sized styrofoam clamshell boxes, fully loaded. i should know; we order from there at least twice a month. been going there for years & we've never been unhappy. of course, we're conscientious about checking our orders before we leave any establishment. if duk kee ever made an error with our take out order, they promptly and pleasantly corrected it.
      superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

OK, I've had a bit of time to calm down.

Yes, I should have returned to the restaurant to show my evidence that I thought we did not receive the full order. But with two hungry kids already with the food on their plate, I didn't want to pull it away from them and make them wait another 1/2 hour.

The lady who took my order asked if I wanted the orders combined, and I said yes - so she gave me 1 paper bag w/8 crispy gau gee, 1 paper bag with the cake noodle, and 1 large take-out container with the gravy/vegetables/meat.

All of that combined would not have filled 2 standard lunch containers, but it would have been difficult to determine without actually combining the items.

I guess there wasn't much the restaurant could have done without me going back to show them what I got. But I'm still unhappy and I won't go there again.

My original plan was actually to try Kaimuki Chop Suey, but they were closed for renovations. I guess I'll try them next time.

Comment

Where is this restaurant located? I get confused with the names of Chinese restaurants.

Comment

bytheway, it's unfortunate that it seems you got less than you expected versus what you paid for. it's never fun to have that experience. since you admit you're now not 100% sure you didn't get a double order, would you consider giving duk kee a second chance?

we have gone to kaimuki chop suey. they're definitely more a chop suey joint. some things, like their chicken w/asparagus, are better than at duk kee (their version has bits of orange zest--yum! plus we love their jin doi--best one can get in kaimuki). there are, of course, some things we feel are more satisfying at duk kee (cold ginger chicken, stuffed bittermelon, salted fish & chicken fried rice).

dang. made my tummy grumble.

wb, duk kee is on 12th ave, across american svgs & on the same block as the heniously sad & overpriced hale vietnam (go to saigon cafe across waialae instead, but skip saigon's too sweet lemongrass chIcken and dive in for their bahn mi & pho). betwixt HV & DK is the warm & fuzzy covenant book store w/its tasty soups and sammies.

pardon my tummy for whining.
            superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

cynsaligia, it is possible that I was not shorted, and that the restaurant simply has smaller portions than I was expecting. My use of the term "rip-off" was typed in anger, and perhaps I should have called them "over-priced."

We usually go to Happy Day, but at 1 pm on Sunday afternoon I thought they would be very crowded, so I wanted to try somewhere else.

I may give Duk Kee another chance, maybe try the cold ginger chicken.

Comment

given your reconsidered position, maybe you'd like to ask admin to edit your admitted hastily-and-written-in-anger thread title to something more befitting?

forgot to mention that one order of gau gee min would have four pieces of gau gee. i think that's pretty standard across similar restaurants.

duk kee is one of those neighborhood chinese joints that we frequent not bcs the food is falling-out-of-your-chair-in-ecstacy-tasty places but bcs we feel it's a good value. our experience over the years is that service is quick and friendly and the food quantity & quality are consistently good considering the price.

other similar places do better ginger chicken (au's garden near diner's in kalihi, for example) and others don't do it as well (the aforementioned kaimuki chop suey). happy day, in our experience, is quite good taste-wise, but (1) it's more an eat in place that does a lot of take out versus duk kee being more a take out place that has a lot of eat in business and (2) happy day consistently falls short of the level of duk kee except in the dim sum department. of course, happy day really pissed us off last time with exceedingly poor service the last time we went for dim sum (we were left unattended for half an hour while other customers who might have been friends or family of the staff/owners were doted upon--and there were no other patrons the whole time).

one other chinese restaurant we we tried in kaimuki is hung won (yes, that's really its name. let the phallic jokes abound) on waialae. their lunch plate combo is a decent value but their cook tends to fry items at too low a temp. my tummy was very unhappy at how greasy their fried items are.

anyway, i'll refrain from posting more in this thread lest i end up sounding like i have made a personal investment in the restaurant. i will freely admit this--if duk kee ever closes, we'd feel a bit of a loss. as a busy couple who often work long hours, a quick & tasty chinese joint is one of those urban necessities to have in the rolodex. our stance is no one else in the hood offers similar value given taste vs. promptness/geniality of service vs. quantity for the price. our former favorite was the iteration of new campbell from three or four years ago, until they closed & reopened under new ownership. for quite a long while, we tried a good number of different similar places that were somewhere between makiki and kaimuki. when we tried duk kee, we felt we found what we were looking for. bonus was that they're within walking distance to our home.

Comment

cynsaligia, I have taken your suggestion to heart and have requested the title of the thread be changed to remove "Ripoff!" from the title, thus making it less inflammatory.

I agree that having a dependable Chinese restaurant nearby for quick meals is very convenient.

I used to eat at Au's Garden frequently when I worked nearby - I liked the wor won ton min there.

When I have time I drive to Golden Duck to eat the beef & egg on look fun.

Comment

Working...
                  X