Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Poor pronunciation

Originally posted by dick
    Interestingly enough, growing up on Maui, we always pronounced Hali'imaile as "hailee-mailee" ; Omaopio as "omo-pioh" and Ma'alaea as "mah-lie-ya." Most everyone I knew pronounced them that way. If they were to be pronounced correctly, everyone would be like, "where?"
    "Ma'alaea" really trips me up. I know that the local Maui pronunciation is way far from the textbook pronunciation, and I keep trying to find a happy medium between the two. It's not easy.

Comment

I think the "sloppy pronounciation" of local Hawaiian place names and objects is a vestigial remnant from our immigrant parents and grandparents who would have had a hard time pronouncing the double vowels. Now it's just a habit and laziness on the part of the kama'ainas.

If we want to honor our Hawaiian legacy, we should, whenever possible, try to pronounce Hawaiian words correctly; the tourists and malihinis don't know any better; kama'ainas should know better and set a good example.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

One of my pet peeves is Mauka and Makai. Everybody pronounces Makai correctly but not Mauka.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hmm. What's the right and wrong way to pronounce Mauka?

One common mispronunciation is Wahiawa. Pretty much everyone says "Wa-hee-wa." But it's actually Wahiawā, with a short 'a' after the 'hi' and a long 'a' at the end -- "Wa-he-a-WAH." Then there's ‘Aiea, to which many add an extra ‘okina. It's ‘Aiea, but people say Ai‘ea!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
            One common mispronunciation is Wahiawa. Pretty much everyone says "Wa-hee-wa." But it's actually Wahiawā, with a short 'a' after the 'hi' and a long 'a' at the end -- "Wa-he-a-WAH." Then there's ‘Aiea, to which many add an extra ‘okina. It's ‘Aiea, but people say Ai‘ea!
            I too have noticed that some people put 'okina into other words that don't need it, like "Hana'uma Bay" (it's spelled Hanauma, and pronounced ha-NAU-ma, not hana-uma). I think the problem is that they think that Hawaiian doesn't have any dipththongs (blended vowels), and that every Hawaiian vowel has to be separate and distinct. Hawaiian diphthongs do exist, and sometimes they blend vowels from separate phonemes, like how Kaimukī is pronounced kai-mu-kī even though the name's meaning parses out as ka-imu-kī (the kī imu). The four-vowel diphthong in 'Aiea really throws them for a loop.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              I think the "sloppy pronounciation" of local Hawaiian place names and objects is a vestigial remnant from our immigrant parents and grandparents who would have had a hard time pronouncing the double vowels. Now it's just a habit and laziness on the part of the kama'ainas.
              That's probably true, especially for the harder-to-pronounce words. Just cuz you local doesn't mean you Hawaiian.

Comment

hehe... peronsally i like "havai'i" best.

Comment

Originally posted by Mokihana

And that said, because the Hawaiian language is so important to me, I now say "Hawai‘i". It feels right. Like now I say "mu‘umu‘u", even though growing up, we never did.
                  I'm glad to read you say "mu'umu'u!" When I was there, everyone referred to it as "moo-moo." I've taught my kids to say "mu'umu'u," and even though I know it would sound awkward in certain circles, we know it's correct.
                  ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

If we want to honor our Hawaiian legacy, we should, whenever possible, try to pronounce Hawaiian words correctly; the tourists and malihinis don't know any better; kama'ainas should know better and set a good example.

Miulang
                    Well said. K'den, I going say mu'umu'u from now on, even if I neva wen say 'em li'dat growing up.

Comment

Hi, My tutu Lady always used the term moo moo. She wasn't educated as her siblings were but she was born in the 1890's and she knew how to speak hawaiian. I don't think it was the immigrants fault but those who grew up as Hawaiians who used the terms in their everyday language.
                      I believe the words were used by all. Place names were also used in the same fashion. My family was from Punalu'u but it was refered to as Punalu. As far back as I can remember into the 1960's and even when I found out it was spelled Punalu'u, I still say Punalu.
                      I'm glad the Hawaiians have decided to go back to the original pronounciation of words but lets not forget, many Hawaiians pronounced hawaiian from what they were taught.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                        One of my pet peeves is Mauka and Makai. Everybody pronounces Makai correctly but not Mauka.
                        Since an HPR citation started this, and since you mentioned "mauka," I thought I'd give credit where credit is due. One of the Maui correspondents (Lilian Zahn? I can't quite make out her name) specifically said "ma uka" yesterday. Weird that it sounds wrong after all these years, even when you know it's technically correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          What's the difference between a mu'umu'u and a mu'u? I have heard of both but I'm no fashion expert. Is a mu'u only half as long?

if yer too lazy to say mu'umu'u and even too lazy to say moo moo, ya say mu'u.

unless yer regerring to kalo.

Comment

...and now I'm gonna pick on poor pronunciation of Japanese words, too. NPR just had a short piece on the izakayas of Vancouver. An izakaya is a Japanese pub. The way the NPR reporters said it, it sounded like they were talking about the obscure Biblical prophet "Izzachiah".

Hey NPR, repeat after me: ee-ZAKA-yah!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              ...and now I'm gonna pick on poor pronunciation of Japanese words, too. NPR just had a short piece on the izakayas of Vancouver. An izakaya is a Japanese pub. The way the NPR reporters said it, it sounded like they were talking about the obscure Biblical prophet "Izzachiah".

Hey NPR, repeat after me: ee-ZAKA-yah!
                              mahalo, glen! now when i put my japan tour together, i'll be able to find my gigs!
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Speaking of mispronoucing
                                why do a lot of locals say, Kaneohee not Kaneohe? It always cracks me up....I actually heard this on a Hawaiian Kapena CD once.
                                Last edited by alohabear; October 5, 2005, 12:43 PM. Reason: I'm a Dumbass
                                Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                                Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X