Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 9th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 9

Killer carne asada burrito from Diego's. The boss picks up lunch for the office when we come in on quasi-holidays.
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Kia`aina

Went and tried Poke Stop in Waipahu, next to Sizzler's, just off Ft. Weaver road. Owned and operated by Elmer Guzman formerly Exec Chef at Sam Choy's and trained under Emeril. Anyway, must recommend if you're looking for "gourmet" plate lunches. Had the combo of seared ahi and salmon belly....very ono! BTW, lots of Poke too, which I intend to try on my next visit.
Old October 9th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Ali`i

tempura udon at Jimbos. It was good but next time I think I will try their curry (which smelled great!)
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:00 PM
Ali`i

Pork and Shrimp Sari Sari (mixed filipino vegetable soup), Pinapaiatan (neva mind), Pork and Shrimp Balatong (Mungo Beans) with tang kong (ong choy) leaves, Pusit (squid) Adobo, and Rice from New Cafe Dalisay on Maunakea Street in Chinatown.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 9th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Ali`i

Cheeseburgers and a bottle of water.
Old October 10th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Ali`i

Jumbo Jacks and a can of Mountain Dew.
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

The wife and our youngest joined glossyp and I at The Mandarin Cafe on Cooke Street (technically 725 Kapiolani, or Imperial Plaza). Koreanized Chinese... less sweet, more spicy. It was wonderful. Sweet sour pork (deliciously crunchy), a beef long rice dish, champong (spicy seafood and vegetable soup), and za jang men, which glossyp affectionately calls "axle grease," a thick, thick, thick noodle dish that just screams "comfort food."

For dessert, their unusual glazed apple treat (battered and deep fried, glazed with sugar, cinnamon and sesame seeds, and cooled to crisp deliciousness in an ice water bath). It was great, although it took 'em twenty minutes to make. The shocked look on the server's face when we ordered it makes me think some poor kitchen worker had to run over to Foodland for some apples!
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Ali`i

I walked to the Manapua Truck on Pua Lane. I puchased the following:

cheese burger $1.00
french fries $1.00
fried noodles $1.00
1 fried chicken thigh 75 cents
1 T cookie 45 cents
1 almond cookie 45 cents
1 pepsi 60 cents
1 a&w root beer 60 cents

Total = $ 5.85 no tax

No. I didn't eat it all. I saved the cookies and pepsi for laterz!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 10th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
and za jang men, which glossyp affectionately calls "axle grease," a thick, thick, thick noodle dish that just screams "comfort food."
I assume the last photo is the za jang men. It looks so thick and spicy. Do you (or can you) drink the soup? Or is it just used as a sauce?
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Kumu

BBQ sandwich, pineapple-taro sweet bread, and Tim's Sweet Maui Onion Rings... mmmm... lucky we live by Uwajimaya
Old October 11th, 2006, 12:19 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I assume the last photo is the za jang men. It looks so thick and spicy. Do you (or can you) drink the soup? Or is it just used as a sauce?
Actually, that's the champong. The broth isn't that thick, and I suppose you could slurp it... but I got full off the veggies and seafood anyway. The za jang men (glossyp's "axle grease") looks like this:

Thick, dense, heavy, black, slimy... and delicious. You could just tell it was a "comfort food." When the fridge is bare and the air outside is cold, I can just imagine sitting crosslegged in a small Seoul apartment slurping down this stuff and going to bed sated.
Old October 11th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Ali`i

Jumbo Jacks and a can of Mountain Dew.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Ali`i

Chicken pasta, mac salad, mixed veggies and a bottle of Mountain Dew.
Old October 12th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
CHILI! World Class Chili, Pike Place Market - Texas style (diced beef), medium heat, over small shell pasta, topped with shredded cheddar, oyster crackers on the side, and a Dr. Pepper.
http://worldclasschili.com/
...+ onions = today's lunch.
Old October 13th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Luna

Quote:
The za jang men (glossyp's "axle grease") looks like this: [...] Thick, dense, heavy, black, slimy... and delicious. You could just tell it was a "comfort food." When the fridge is bare and the air outside is cold, I can just imagine sitting crosslegged in a small Seoul apartment slurping down this stuff and going to bed sated.
Pzarquon, thank you for introducing me to another place on Oahu that serves Za Jang Men! That dish is one of my favorite comfort foods from my childhood. I make it a point to seek out and try it from every restaurant that I find serving it. I've not been to Mandarin, but thanks to you, I will soon. I wonder if your "less sweet, more spicy" description applies to how they make this dish, which would be good. (I think many Korean restaurants are too sweet, not spicy enough)

You can also find this dish at:
On Dong, Eastern Paradise, and Wang's Garden, and a hole-in-the-wall place in Wahiawa
Used to be served at:
Jade's Garden (Peking) on Keeaumoku, and I never got to try the one at the now closed Korean restaurant at 99 Ranch Market

Know of any others?

Last edited by mapen; October 13th, 2006 at 04:17 AM.
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Ali`i

Steamed manapua made at home (I had leftover char siu) and chow fun.

Miulang
Old October 13th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapen View Post
Pzarquon, thank you for introducing me to another place on Oahu that serves Za Jang Men! That dish is one of my favorite comfort foods from my childhood. I make it a point to seek out and try it from every restaurant that I find serving it.
Well, I pass the thanks on to glossyp, who'd been urging us to try The Mandarin Cafe because of this dish for months. It's great to read what za jang men means to you, and that it's actually on the menu elsewhere (our outing was the first I'd ever heard of it!). I'm curious, now, too, to taste how it might vary.

I'd say the "less sweet, more spicy" is more a general observation of the Korean approach to Chinese food at The Mandarin Cafe... notable especially since local interpretations of Chinese and Korean food definitely trend too sweet. The za jang men itself had a more overall "smoky" flavor to me... unusual, but still good. Sticks to your ribs, as they say.

ObTopic: So delicious was this lunch on Tuesday, I'm a bit embarassed to report that I ended up at McDonald's today. Chicken Selects.
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Ali`i

Polish sausage, chicken bake and a cup of Diet Coke from Costco.
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Luna

Quote:
I'm curious, now, too, to taste how it might vary.

notable especially since local interpretations of Chinese and Korean food definitely trend too sweet. The za jang men itself had a more overall "smoky" flavor to me... unusual, but still good. Sticks to your ribs, as they say.
I love the descriptions...thick, dense, black, slimy, delicious, axle grease, stick to your ribs. So true :-) If you or your dining partners want to try a variation of this dish, On Dong (King St, makai, between Kalakaua & Kaheka) and Wang's Garden (Pearl Kai shopping center across from Pearl Ridge) both have "Gan Za Jang Men", which is a Seafood version. Basically they add small shrimp to the sauce. The sauce is so thick that you might not notice or taste them though, which is why I usually stick with the regular :-) BTW, this dish is available in packaged frozen versions at the Korean groceries, and even in a dry package version at Daiei/Don Quijote. These restaurants are Northern Chinese, which is spicier than Southern Chinese. I likee.

I'm sorry to have gone so far off this thread's topic

Last edited by mapen; October 14th, 2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old October 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Kumu

Mapen, I'm so stoked to hear that Wang's Garden is still at Pearl Kai!

My late husband and I used to LOVE going to that place! Small, nothing fancy, but oh, the food!

Now, that was WAY before my Little Village Noodle House experiences, but if shopping out that way, I would totally go back to Wang's Garden and revisit the Kung Pao Chicken I remember so fondly.

OT: I don't yet know what's for lunch, but I'm working up some hunger and have yet to make my Costco trip today. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited by Erika Engle; October 14th, 2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Tried to get back OT
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Ali`i

Noodles, a couple of chicken choices, spring rolls and a cup of Mountain Dew from U Choice Drive Inn.
Old October 14th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Ali`i

Chinese 5-spice duck with noodle soup from Thai One On (yes. that is the real name of the place). This is one of my absolute favorite Thai soups in all the world (but then, anything with duck with it is usually good in my book).

Miulang
Old October 16th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Ali`i

Can of chicken breast.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Ali`i

Char siu chicken, brown rice, mixed veggies from the HCC Cafeteria and a bottle of Mountain Dew from a vending machine along the way between the cafeteria and my office.
Old October 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to achow Send a message via MSN to achow Send a message via Yahoo to achow

I am having a cheese and cherry tomato Quesida with water.
Closed Thread