Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 11th, 2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Oh no!!! another person on HT to make my life and spelling and pronunciation a nightmare...

You must cringe GregLee when you read my posts...

In all seriousness...

Has anyone ever had one of the A&W "Coney Island" dogs?

There pretty Ono!
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee
Not a mistake -- this is just a difference between American English dialects. The original was:

Some (presumably including you) will understand this as logically all...(not(...)) but others (including me) will understand it as not(all...(...)). WindwardOahuRN's edited version ("...that not all hotdogs sold in NY are ...") expresses only the latter.

I'm not saying anything about correctness -- just mentioning a relevant fact of English usage that may or may not interest you.
A hotdog sold in NY may or may not be a NY hotdog.

A hotdog sold in HI may or may not be a HI hotdog.

My original post didn't look funny to me. Still doesn't look terribly wrong. Maybe it's my NY accent?
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123
Oh no!!! another person on HT to make my life and spelling and pronunciation a nightmare...
Oh no!!! Another post on HT that tries to derail a thread and make it all about Manoa...
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN
A hotdog sold in NY may or may not be a NY hotdog.

A hotdog sold in HI may or may not be a HI hotdog.

My original post didn't look funny to me. Still doesn't look terribly wrong. Maybe it's my NY accent?
Are you a "native New Yawker?"

I've never had a Nathan's Coney Island hot dog, loaded with everything .........
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific
Are you a "native New Yawker?"

I've never had a Nathan's Coney Island hot dog, loaded with everything .........
I was born in Queens, lived mostly on LI. I can sound amazingly like Linda Richman at times.

J/K. Maybe.

And I imagine that there probably will be a Nathan's here, someday. Might be nice on the boardwalk.
Old September 16th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Kumu

I've not had a Nathan's dog either, to my knowlege ... but I HAVE seen them eaten on TV.

Seriously, those Food Network specials about the Nathan's hot dog eating contests ... how funny is it that past winners have included skinny, short Japanese guys? I mean, they even have techniques called "A Japanese" and "A Double-Japanese," to refer to the way the dogs are eaten.

But back OT ... one of my favorite hot dogs of all time was from an Orange Julius-TYPE shop in Kona ... it had mushrooms and cheese on it and was made all the more special by the fact that my mom, my sister and I were on a girls-only trip, at a turning-point moment in our lives.

I doubt there will ever be another hot dog like that.
Old September 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Luna

Never knew hot dogs were so varied in Hawaii- and I thought the Puka Dog was the only interesting one to try there...

Just my H.O. as a NY'er- Boiled hot dogs-ewww, boiled hot dogs from any small rolling street side cart vendor in NY-potential threat to life risk.
Grilled Nathan Hot Dogs from the store in Coney Island-decent,
Gray's Papaya dogs from any NY location-grilled to crispy perfection- Delish! Score a lightly toasted bun to go with it- Heavenly...

A nice Hebrew Nat'l dog, grilled at home, then wrapped in a slice of cheese on toasted bun with spicy mustard and yes, a bit ketchup would be really ideal right now....

P.S. Loved your Tasty Island site Pomai-really cool!!!

Last edited by hawaiidreamin; September 20th, 2006 at 01:05 PM.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiidreamin View Post
Grilled Nathan Hot Dogs from the store in Coney Island-decent
The Little Caesars pizza concession at the Nimitz KMart recently started offering Nathan's Hot Dogs, which I just had to try...

They're presented quite simply wrapped in Little Caesar's Napkin's (which were removed for this photo) and placed in Nathan's logo take-out box. That's kinda' cool. The combo included a small drink for about $2.00.

Ironically The Travel Channel just aired a show the other night which featured Nathan's original Coney Island, New York Hot Dog mega-stand, which I've never been before.

Based on that TV segment, what was noticeably different from the Coney Island original was that theirs were grilled on a flat top vs. the Kmart concession version were simply warm-cooked on a hot dog rotational heat roller. Also, the Coney Island dogs stuck out the ends of the bun a bit vs. these were actually SHORTER than the bun (see photo). The bun themselves tasted like off-the-shelf Loves Bakery variety (Correct me if I'm wrong), kept warm and supple, not toasted.

The dog itself is about the same diameter as Costco, but about an inch shorter. It has a nice firmness to it and quite simply, BEEFY with a slight hint of spice to it. Very nice.

I tried a bite or two without any condiments just to get the flavor of the dog, but simply with mustard was the way to go, IMO. Ketchup and relish was overkill.

I was content eating the equivalent of just one. Amazing how that Japanese guy could eat 60.

It'd be interesting to hear what NY transplants here have to say about this Hawaii Kmart exported version of Nathan's famous.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
The dog itself is about the same diameter as Costco, but about an inch shorter. It has a nice firmness to it and quite simply, BEEFY with a slight hint of spice to it. Very nice.
With the exception of a couple of words ("dog" and "Costco"), that sounds very similar to something my ex-wife, Plaintiff, would say.

Oh, quit groaning, folks. You know you were thinking the same thing!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
It'd be interesting to hear what NY transplants here have to say about this Hawaii Kmart exported version of Nathan's famous.
Uh-oh.

Judging by the description these seem like the Nathan's hotdogs that are available in the supermarkets here.

Since Foodland has started carrying Boar's Head hotdogs with the natural casing I've bought only those, except for when my grandkids were here. I bought Nathan's skinless for the youngest one---the natural casing hotdogs are a bit of a challenge for two-year-olds.

I found the Nathan's hotdogs to be flavorful and they had a decent texture but they were so SALTY! I could almost feel my rings getting tighter as I ate the Nathan's dogs.

They're okay though---garlicky, not mushy, and (ducking) not fluorescent pink.

Boar's Head will always be my favorite, I think, with Sabrett running about even.
Old May 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Star Market in Kalihi had Nathan's Famous for a while and I tried them. Good dogs, but too salty for my taste (and I love salty). It's also still got Hebrew National dogs in a few varieties, and I like those a lot better.
Old May 11th, 2007, 05:33 AM
Kia`aina

Antonio's New York Style Pizzeria in Kahala now sells Nathan's Hot Dogs too.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ali`i

Safeway Mililani sells both Nathan's and Hebrew Nat'l. Don't really like either, Nathan's too salty and HN no taste, but the my brother just moved back from LI with his family and they like the HN hotdogs. They even brought some back one time, then I told them that I can get these from Tamura's in Wahiawa. Btw, they have the best prices on HN. Personally, I like the Polish dogs at Costco and OM's premium dogs. Used to eat Millers a lot, but their prices went through the roof.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Safeway Mililani sells both Nathan's and Hebrew Nat'l. Don't really like either, Nathan's too salty and HN no taste, but the my brother just moved back from LI with his family and they like the HN hotdogs. They even brought some back one time, then I told them that I can get these from Tamura's in Wahiawa. Btw, they have the best prices on HN. Personally, I like the Polish dogs at Costco and OM's premium dogs. Used to eat Millers a lot, but their prices went through the roof.
IMO, Miller's natural casing hotdogs are the next best dog available here after Boar's Head. I used to buy them before BH came to Hawaii.

A bit softer texture than BH but good flavor and that great snap of the natural casing.
Old May 11th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
The Little Caesars pizza concession at the Nimitz KMart recently started offering Nathan's Hot Dogs, which I just had to try...

They're presented quite simply wrapped in Little Caesar's Napkin's (which were removed for this photo) and placed in Nathan's logo take-out box. That's kinda' cool. The combo included a small drink for about $2.00.

Ironically The Travel Channel just aired a show the other night which featured Nathan's original Coney Island, New York Hot Dog mega-stand, which I've never been before.
I've been there....it's really OLD....The french fries are really also famous there...greasy, salty...served up with this tiny little pitchforks...good stuff.

This dogs don't look like the Nathan's ones, which are skinnier and curved, with that crunchy skin that I never liked.

I prefer the supermarket, soft skinned ones, when I eat hot dogs, which is maybe twice a year.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiyaki View Post
I've been there....it's really OLD....The french fries are really also famous there...greasy, salty...served up with this tiny little pitchforks...good stuff.
There is also a Nathan's in Oceanside on Long Island. IIRC, Wednesday night is Classic Car Night. Lotsa shiny chrome, fins, baby moons, fuzzy dice.

Another night is (was?) set aside for bikers (Tuesday?). Much rougher crowd than the Classic Car folks.

Then again, maybe they'e not doing this anymore and I can just add these to my pile of memories of a misspent youth.

Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; May 11th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old May 11th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
There is also a Nathan's in Oceanside on Long Island. IIRC, Wednesday night is Classic Car Night. Lotsa shiny chrome, fins, baby moons, fuzzy dice.

Another night is (was?) set aside for bikers (Tuesday?). Much rougher crowd than the Classic Car folks.

Then again, maybe they'e not doing this anymore and I can just add these to my piles of memories of a misspent youth.
Actually, I still think they do both. My friend lived in Oceanside and the last time I was there...maybe 7 years ago,,,they were still doing it...but it's been a while now.
Old May 14th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Haumana

Send a message via Yahoo to cprompt0806

There's a little store in Liliha, Royal Blendz who sells Nathan's. They're okay for me. I still prefer the Great Hawaiian Hotdog, mainly because of the garlic sauce... yummy!

Old June 13th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Keiki

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog - Freebie today

From 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm today only (June 13), get your free hotdog to celebrate 61 years of fun, or that's what the website says for Hotdog On A Stick, also known as "Chicks In A Clownsuit", as the aforementioned: no guys ever seen working there. http://www.hotdogonastick.com/
Old June 13th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Haumana

Hot dogs are an important subject in my family.

First, in Haiku, Maui on the North Shore is a little general store called Fukushima's. That place has this red Redondo's dog w/ a special sauce that is probably mayo, relish, and mustard. Don't make a face. It's good w/ onions and mustard. That, to me, is the ultimate local-kine dog.

Second, when it comes to other kinds of dogs, we go w/ Nathan's, Hebrew National, and Mt. Sinai -- in that order. Note that this is about hot dogs, not all-beef Polish sausages, like those sold at Costco. That's a different deal all together.

Third, there is also a difference between eating hot dogs and chili dogs. The best chili dog I've had in my entire life was when the Green Bay Packers defeated the New England Patriots in the Super Bowl (1997?). My Dad made Nathan's dogs with mustard, spicy no-bean chili, onions, and it was sealed with a thin layer of melted cheddar cheese (shredded).
Old June 13th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT

I have had rippers in Chicago, Coney Dogs on the Island, hot water dogs in DC, and every variety available on the 7-11 rolling grill. The best, imo, Grays Papaya(west Village, NYC), hands down. It is an experience in it self, but the dogs are awesome! Great snap when ya bite 'em, never tough. Butter toasted bread, piles of toppings, the best way to bring on a heart attack if there ever was one.

And the smoothies, to die for.

An email from God:
To: People of Earth
Date: 9/04/2007
Subject: stop

knock it off, all of you

seriously, what the hell

--
God
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Ali`i

Wrigley Field in Chicago. Can't be beat. As far as in Hawaii'i, all I can think of is those crappy dogs at Orange Julius. A begrudged indulgence.
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Ali`i

I kinda like those crappy dogs at Orange Julius. (Of course, I've never eaten anything from Chicago or New York, so what do I know?)

But when the Ala Moana Orange Julius was at their previous location (near the Complete Kitchen), the quality was better and they also served burgers. Their burgers were some of the best buys around, in my opinion.
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Ali`i

Check out this Bagel Dog from Lox of Bagels on Sand Island Access Rd (Honolulu)....

An Oscar Mayer All-Beef JUMBO Hot Dog encased in a chewy, toasted bagel "bun". You KNOW that has to be good. It's actually outstanding! At $2.75 each, that's a pretty good deal.

Lox of Bagels also has great Bagel Sandwiches and flavored cream cheese spreads.
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
At $2.75 each, that's a pretty good deal.
$2.75 is a deal? I'd rather go to Panya Bakery and get one of their hot dogs similar to this one... and I'm pretty sure they're priced at least a dollar to $1.25 cheaper than these.

Panya also makes them with ketchup and/or mustard baked in. Good stuff.