Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 5th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Hawaii's Best Hot Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
My opinion differed a bit though. Visit link below (blog) for my full review, including a few more pics.
Just checked out your blog---nice!
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Engle
WWOahuRN: My 16 year old daughter recently announced to me that she'd love to travel to NYC one day -- for the Arts scene? Theater? Shopping?

Nope. To try an honest-to-goodness NYC street vendor hot dog.

She made it very clear she didn't mean that she just wanted to try hot dogs from New York -- but that she wanted to GO THERE and get one from a street vendor.

Given my budget, I think the Kailua Foodland import you've mentioned will have to do for now.

How would you suggest we cook and dress them? Grill? Boil? Mustard? (Yellow? Dijon?) Sauerkraut? Please to educate me in the presentation of a proper Big Apple dog.
Grilled. Some vendors boil them but IMHO, a lot of flavor is lost. You could pan-fry them too. Some like to grill them until they pop, but I like to take them off the grill just before they split---much juicier. And as Auntie said, they are indeed "crunchy."

Grill the bun, or not. Yellow mustard, or some other kind if you hate yellow mustard. Or no mustard at all. Sauerkraut if you like it. That's about it. My husband likes them naked, I like them lightly dressed. To each his own. There are no laws, except for maybe No Ketchup.

A note about the Boar's Head hotdogs---they come in two styles. Natural casing, which is, well, encased naturally. And skinless. Skinless still taste good but are definitely NOT the real NY hotdog you're looking for. Lacking Auntie's "crunch."

$7.59/lb. They're sold by the pound because they're random sizes--separated by string, like real links. About eight to a pound.

Not cheap but cheaper than a flight to NY.
Old August 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Buss it out 'den! Hit Kailua beach wit' da Hibachi and da' coolah'.

Strictly mustard and Sauerkraut for me, thanks.
LOL---I checked. Total of 14 in there.

What are you going to eat?
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN
LOL---I checked. Total of 14 in there.

What are you going to eat?
LOL!
There are five in my family -- so that works out to ... Mommy getting one less than everybody else, as usual.

Nah -- j/k about the mad face. Sacrifice is part of the motherhood gig ... and besides, I don't need the extra fat, calories, etc.

Thanks for the prep/dressing advice!
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I checked. Total of 14 in there. What are you going to eat?
A No-sodium, vegetarian "hospital food" hot dog on whole wheat bun and no condiments with prunes on the side, served by you, the RN. Yummy!

I see Erika's daughter's point about insisting on the total NYC hot dog "experience". No matter how original it may be in the supermarket at Kailua Foodland, eating it on the beautiful blue sky, white sandy Lanikai beach just wouldn't validate it.

You need the complete NYC "ambiance": Concrete canyons, smog, gray skies, subways and passing motorists yelling expletives at each other. Then the cart vendor asks you, "What the #*()ck you want on your #$cing hot *##ck**ing dog?".

The next best thing I can think of, would be to get a NYC dog here and eat on the streets of Waikiki.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Kumu

Quote:
A No-sodium, vegetarian "hospital food" hot dog on whole wheat bun and no condiments with prunes on the side, served by you, the RN. Yummy!

I see Erika's daughter's point about insisting on the total NYC hot dog "experience". No matter how original it may be in the supermarket at Kailua Foodland, eating it on the beautiful blue sky, white sandy Lanikai beach just wouldn't validate it.

You need the complete NYC "ambiance": Concrete canyons, smog, gray skies, subways and passing motorists yelling expletives at each other. Then the cart vendor asks you, "What the #*()ck you want on your #$cing hot *##ck**ing dog?".

The next best thing I can think of, would be to get a NYC dog here and eat on the streets of Waikiki.
Reading that, I was reminded of my first trip to Boston's North End Pizza in Kailua, right after they opened. I stepped up and was asked - by Tom Rossi himself, I think - "Yeah, whaddayaneed?!"
I LOVED IT! It just added so much to the ambiance of the place and to the experience. I know some folks were taken aback by the East Coast thing -- but I just adored it. I ordered several slices, including one spinach and garlic, which he repeated over his shoulder -- loudly -- one spinno and gahlic! ...

Okay, back OT. I may be going to Foodland to check out the Boar's Head Dog sitch today ...
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
yea, that may aproximate the experience. walking along Kalakaua and being sourrounded and jostled by a big crowd of sour dour faced grumpy people complaining and commenting negatively on everything around them.

"Sour rounded. hahaa. Lilly. I made a funny!"

Last edited by kimo55; August 5th, 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:55 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55
yea, that may aproximate the experience. being sourrounded and jostled by a big crowd of sour dour faced grumpy people complaining and commenting negatively on everything around them.
You from NY too??
Old August 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Okay, back OT. I may be going to Foodland to check out the Boar's Head Dog sitch today ...
Unless things have changed, their usual delivery day is Tuesday---my husband asked, after being disappointed by the empty shelves more than once.

Good luck!
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, well, there ain't no accountin' for taste.

Toss you up against any street vendor in NY and you would just wither, fold, and die.

Nothing personal. I must say you might do quite well here. Just don't even think of crossing the Pacific.
Been to New York. Had the hot dogs. Ain't that great.

And if you haven't tried the Redondo's hot dog in some Zippy's chili, well, you can just get back on a plane and go to the mainland.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe

And if you haven't tried the Redondo's hot dog in some Zippy's chili, well, you can just get back on a plane and go to the mainland.
Like I said, no accountin' for taste...

The fluorescence of the Redondo dogs frightens me a bit. They really don't taste that terrible. Hidden in Zippy's chili, not so bad. Cuts down on the glare somewhat, too.

I ate a ton, at least, of those fuschia babies during the last nurses' strike. Boiled, oozing neon-pink juice, on stale buns. Probably not the best presentation but it was cold, raining, and I was stuck on the night-shift picket line on stormy Mahalo Street. Sad little tent city, happy to accept any and all donations.

And decades of eating hospital cafeteria food prepares you for just about anything.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Ali`i

Been seeing a TV commerical from Oscar Meyer with their latest product which has the bun included with the hot dog. I can only assume you have to microwave it to heat it up before serving it.

At least it solves the age old problem why are hot dogs are sold in packs of 10 and hot dog buns in packs of 8.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Banned

I was eating a pretty good hot dog from costco, when i was driving on the ewa side of Kinau during that nurses strike a few years ago. I loved it.
what sights;

Nurses next to hospitals walking around with signage that read
"HONK... if you support the strike"

yea. make noise in a "quiet! Hospital zone".
huuuh huh huh.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
I was reminded of my first trip to Boston's North End Pizza in Kailua, right after they opened. I stepped up and was asked - by Tom Rossi himself, I think - "Yeah, whaddayaneed?!"
I LOVED IT!
Just this past week, my friend and I went to the Iwilei Home Depot, where in front is a Chicago Hot Dog stand. I'm not sure if the worker at the time represents Chicago, but he sure had attitude. Definately some kind of East Coast accent. When my friend asked for a bag, the guy practically threw it at him.

You think I ordered anything after him? Hell no.

That (rather small) Chicago dog by itself set him back $3.75, and after eating it, he resented every neighboring "$1.50 Polish Hot Dog with Drink from Costco" thought of it.

Last edited by Pomai; August 5th, 2006 at 04:32 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
after eating it, he resented every neighboring "$1.50 Polish Hot Dog with Drink from Costco" thought of it.
translation, please?
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

"I wish I hadn't spent so much on a crappy hot dog, when I could have gone Costco and gotten the $1.50 meal deal..."
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Kumu

Wow - your experience was definitely different from mine.

I guess I didn't make it clear that Mr. Rossi was not angry, or mean or anything -- in fact, even though the "Whaddayaneed" sounded a bit abrupt, he was smiling. Happy eyes, smiling face, etc., even though they were slammed.

Maybe the term I'm looking for is, wisecracking attitude? Anyway, it was a positive, not a negative. I certainly didn't get anything thrown at me, except of course, a fun experience that has brought me back to the place repeatedly -- even though they're much less "East Coast" now.
Old August 5th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Ali`i

Bang for the Buck?

Maybe next time, that stand will have one of them "juicy" types Scrivener mentioned working at The CompUSA cart. They could probably sell hot dogs to heart surgeons. lol

Last edited by Pomai; August 5th, 2006 at 05:07 PM.
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
guess I didn't make it clear that Mr. Rossi was not angry, or mean or anything -- in fact, even though the "Whaddayaneed" sounded a bit abrupt, he was smiling. Happy eyes, smiling face.
I too love attitude with good character behind it, as you mentioned. Dig it.

Hopefully you were treated as nice as any Joe Shmoe, and not just because they knew you were a newspaper reporter. Or did they?

Still, I do have major sympathy for those who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry. My girlfriend is one of them. It's hard, hard work and there WILL be some bad days that go along with the good.

Back to the dogs...
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Bear in mind that not all hotdogs sold in NY are New York Hotdogs.

Plenty of junk there, too...Oscar Meyer, Ball Park, etc.

I guess I am talking NY deli-style hotdogs. The main brands are Sabrett (sold by street vendors under a yellow and blue umbrella) and Boar's Head. Nathan's, natural casing only.

And I guess it just comes down to what you ate when you were growing up. Becomes the favorite, most times.

Last edited by WindwardOahuRN; August 5th, 2006 at 06:07 PM. Reason: grievous error pointed out by another forum member
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Like I said, no accountin' for taste...
Quote:
Bear in mind that all hotdogs sold in NY are not New York Hotdogs.
Geez. First you insult me, then you infer that I'm an ignorant schmuck.

Let me put it this way. Been to New York. Had the NY DELI-STYLE HOTDOGS. Ain't that great.

I'll go back to the Big Apple to visit friends and partake in other activities unique to the area. But for the weiners? Nah.

I do just fine with a smokie from Great Hawaiian. Just as good, if not better, than what you can get in New York, Chicago, L.A. or wherever else on the mainland. Has nothing to do with what I ate as a kid.
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Kumu

Quote:
I too love attitude with good character behind it, as you mentioned. Dig it.

Hopefully you were treated as nice as any Joe Shmoe, and not just because they knew you were a newspaper reporter. Or did they?

Still, I do have major sympathy for those who work in the restaurant and hospitality industry. My girlfriend is one of them. It's hard, hard work and there WILL be some bad days that go along with the good.

Back to the dogs...
I don't think he knew who I was ... I worked in radio back then and didn't have my face out there so much.
I didn't notice any difference in the way I was treated, versus, say, the previous customer and the next customer ... definitely a valid question, however.
Back OT, I'm gonna clean out the fridge, make a menu plan for the week -- and grocery shop. Even though WWORN said the deliveries come on Tuesdays, I'll check for Boar's Head doggies today, just in case, cause now I'm all curious to try 'em.

Last edited by Erika Engle; August 5th, 2006 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Somehow I answered initially ABOVE the quote. Minerva!
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:57 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Bear in mind that all hotdogs sold in NY are not New York Hotdogs.
Bummers. I would hope at least ONE hot dog would be a New York Hotdog.

Kidding. Surely you meant to insert NOT in there.

Just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog. Now take them NY dogs you've got out of the freezer and head out to Lanikai beach so you can grill 'em up!

Have a fun Saturday HT gang! Aloha.
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Geez. First you insult me, then you infer that I'm an ignorant schmuck.
Jeez, you're mighty delicate.

Take care next time you're in NY...
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Kumu

Quote:
Yeah, well, there ain't no accountin' for taste.

Toss you up against any street vendor in NY and you would just wither, fold, and die.

Nothing personal. I must say you might do quite well here. Just don't even think of crossing the Pacific.

That some attitude you have, you should have left it at the airport.

I have had a hotdog from NY street vendor and while the hotdog itself was good, it wasn't anything to jump for joy over.