Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old May 30th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: What's for lunch - Chapter 8

A couple of sandwiches and a bottle of Mountain Dew from the HCC Bookstore as the cafeteria is under repair.
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Ali`i

Pint of chow fun and 3 pieces curry half moon...from Kwong On.

Diet Coke to wash it all down.
Old May 30th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Kumu

sniffle sniffle - Maruchan Creamy Chicken ramen - sniffle sniffle.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Ali`i

Chowder at Zippy's.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Man. I forgot to eat lunch today. I ended up finishing a half-melted box of Sno-Caps from the movies yesterday.
Old May 30th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Ali`i

Does anyone ever cook, and eat, lunch at home? Come to that, do families still sit together, around the dinner table?
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:13 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

I'm sure folks who don't work do, or folks who live close enough to work and have enough time during the lunch hour do as well. When I lived in Waikīkī I'd do that, occasionally.

Otherwise, lunch is something done during the workday, away from home. So it's either "home lunch" (i.e. leftovers!), or lunch from a nearby establishment.

I love reading what people have for lunch, wherever they got it.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
I'm sure folks who don't work do, or folks who live close enough to work and have enough time during the lunch hour do as well. When I lived in Waikīkī I'd do that, occasionally.

Otherwise, lunch is something done during the workday, away from home. So it's either "home lunch" (i.e. leftovers!), or lunch from a nearby establishment.

I love reading what people have for lunch, wherever they got it.
I LOVE reading about what you guys do for lunch and breakfast! It just makes me feel as if I live on the moon, is all.

What about on the weekends? What happens, then?
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:19 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
Does anyone ever cook, and eat, lunch at home? Come to that, do families still sit together, around the dinner table?
A large segment of the population is busy working more than one job to afford the current cost of living in Hawaii. Many commute making lunch at home impossible. PZ...can you make it home for lunch? I can't go home for any meal and return to work as I work in Kakaako and live in Makaha. I work week-ends, too. My condo is too small for a 'dinner table'. Lunch at home is a luxury...as is breakfast and dinner. I cook meals at home and keep them in the office freezer...or I call 'Room Service in Paradise'...and sometimes I go out! I call RSIP when I have clients in my office. We sit around the work table. That said...life is great. It truly is.

Just curious, Susie. It appears you have time to prepare, in a huge way, for a pandemic, participate regularly in online forums and raise 4 children on your own. Do you also have a full-time job?
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue
A large segment of the population is busy working more than one job to afford the current cost of living in Hawaii. Many commute making lunch at home impossible. PZ...can you make it home for lunch? I can't go home for any meal and return to work as I work in Kakaako and live in Makaha. I work week-ends, too. My condo is too small for a 'dinner table'. Lunch at home is a luxury...as is breakfast and dinner. I cook meals at home and keep them in the office freezer...or I call 'Room Service in Paradise'...and sometimes I go out! I call RSIP when I have clients in my office. We sit around the work table. That said...life is great. It truly is.

Just curious, Susie. It appears you have time to prepare, in a huge way, for a pandemic, participate regularly in online forums and raise 4 children on your own. Do you also have a full-time job?
I run an English-language bookstore...mostly used paperbacks (like a teensy version of the Froggies one, that still might even be in Waikiki...last I heard, they were at the old Shair Waterbed place, 404 Piikoi).

Last edited by SusieMisajon; May 31st, 2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:01 AM
Ali`i

404 Piikoi doesn't exist anymore. It's been replaced by Hawaiki Tower which is also home to KHON. It's current address is 88 Piikoi.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
404 Piikoi doesn't exist anymore. It's been replaced by Hawaiki Tower which is also home to KHON. It's current address is 88 Piikoi.
Wow! How 'affordable' are those places? I love that even condos are being called 'homes', now...after all, they are.
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:05 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon
Wow! How 'affordable' are those places? I love that even condos are being called 'homes', now...after all, they are.
Depends on what one considers affordable, I guess. A friend of mine has a beautiful unit. The units came with Sub Zero and Gaggeneau appliances.

Ummm...if you're referring to my use of the word 'home' for KHON...that was just a figure of speech. Regardless, my condo is my home...but sometimes I refer to it as my condo or my unit, but mostly my home.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:36 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Depends on what one considers affordable, I guess. A friend of mine has a beautiful unit. The units came with Sub Zero and Gaggeneau appliances.

Ummm...if you're referring to my use of the word 'home' for KHON...that was just a figure of speech. Regardless, my condo is my home...but sometimes I refer to it as my condo or my unit, but mostly my home.
No...I noticed that it was the marketing term, for the units.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:39 PM
Ali`i

Had the Chicken Katsu/Hamburger Steak combo with a large cup of Mountain Dew at Nico's at Pier 38.

Also having a bottle of Mountain Dew to cool me off from that long walk.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:40 PM
Ali`i

Zipped into town to stop in at the office, and thanks to yet another glowing recommendation from our own glossyp, decided to finally check out Nico's at Pier 38 for lunch.

Kilinahe had the furikake pan-seared ahi (rare) with ginger garlic cilantro dip. When I told the cashier I was a Nico's virgin, she insisted I go with the catch of the day -- pan seared fresh marlin with green peppercorn sauce. Very, very good. A balance of flavors that let the fish shine, well prepared and not overdone in cooking, seasoning, or presentation. We wanted to try so many more things on that menu (from a fried calimari salad to a loco moco)! We'll definitely have to go back soon.

Edit:

Quote:
Had the Chicken Katsu/Hamburger Steak combo with a large cup of Mountain Dew at Nico's at Pier 38.
Wha? Aw, Helen! Sorry we missed each other! Or, at least, we missed you! 'Twas a last minute thing, but like I said, we'll be back. No doubt another HawaiiThreads.com lunch is on the horizon.

Last edited by pzarquon; May 31st, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:54 PM
Ali`i

Tortilla soup at San Francisco Salad Co.

The pictures from Nico's almost makes me hungry again
Old June 1st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Ali`i

Would all of you consider telling how much those delicious meals cost? The pictures are killing me!
Old June 1st, 2006, 06:00 PM
Ali`i

Turkey sandwich, mini-bento and a bottle of water.
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:02 PM
Ali`i

Found ourselves near the Waipio Costco 'round 1:30 p.m., so we went with the $1.50 hot dog and 20 oz. drink combo there. Onlons, relish, ketchup, plus sauerkraut for the wife.

And Susie, for Nico's, the menu is online.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon
Found ourselves near the Waipio Costco 'round 1:30 p.m., so we went with the $1.50 hot dog and 20 oz. drink combo there. Onlons, relish, ketchup, plus sauerkraut for the wife.

And Susie, for Nico's, the menu is online.
Thanks. I hope that drooling onto my computer doesn't make it go all wonky.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Ali`i

Personal pan pizza from Big Kahuna on Puuloa Rd. My first time there and it was pretty good. Next time I'll get more toppings as the crust can certainly support it. I will not reveal the toppings I had as it might make pzarquon ill! The sandwiches looked awesome. They were huge and the people who were eating them looked very happy. The place must do huge business in take-out. We saw what must have been 50+ pies being picked up during the short time we were there.
Old June 2nd, 2006, 10:48 PM
Ali`i

Ultimate cheeseburger, curly fries and Diet Coke from Jack-in-the-Box.
Old June 3rd, 2006, 12:38 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp
Personal pan pizza from Big Kahuna on Puuloa Rd. My first time there and it was pretty good. Next time I'll get more toppings as the crust can certainly support it. I will not reveal the toppings I had as it might make pzarquon ill! The sandwiches looked awesome. They were huge and the people who were eating them looked very happy. The place must do huge business in take-out. We saw what must have been 50+ pies being picked up during the short time we were there.
have you tried their garlic cheese balls?? yumm!
Old June 3rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Ali`i

Default Boots and Kimo's in Kailua

Kilinahe and I (and our littlest one) found ourselves in Kailua, so we decided to finally try Boots and Kimo's on Hekili St. The place has a reputation for pancakes (specifically its macadamia sauce), and long waits. Fortunately, it wasn't too busy, so we only needed to stand outside, hungry, for about 10 minutes. And about fifteen minutes after we were seated? There were two open tables inside... unheard of!

Anyway, even though it was lunch we were in the mood for breakfast (which they serve all day). I had their daily special, a kal bi breakfast plate. Kal bi and hash browns and eggs on the same plate! Kilinahe, of course, went with their signature dish, a full stack of pancakes with the macadamia sauce. All told, 'twas all de-licious! We'll definitely have to go back!
Closed Thread