Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hui Aloha > Islands Ahoy
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2009, 07:59 PM
sansei

Red face Re: Cockroaches?

hi,what we use is hoy hoy trap a roach and it work's well,so far hardly any roache's.

Well thank's for your time
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry View Post
When I lived in Honolulu with my friend.. I could see Roaches going inside the timer swithch of the microwave.
I left and got a hotel (cheap) on Kuhio,,, but clean.
I remember staying at some cheap hotels in Hilo and I kept switching rooms because they were either infested with roaches or ants or both! I finally gave up and picked the room with the least amount! Won't do that ever again!!

Aj
Old October 12th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlygirly View Post
And maybe you should call Geico and see if you can have some geckos delivered. It's the least they can do after torturing us with all their craptastic commercials!
We have a gecko that lives under the kitchen cabinets. I LOVE that thing! Many less crawlies noted.
Old October 16th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyleet99 View Post
We have a gecko that lives under the kitchen cabinets. I LOVE that thing! Many less crawlies noted.
I was playing guitar and singing in Kelly O'Neils on Lewars. I mentioned to one of the guys in the audience about how my little bed-sit was overun with roaches every night.
The following morning he appeared with a box and 6 Geckos. He put them on the walls, the balcony/laneii and would not take $1 for bringing them.
I was never troubled by one roach again.

What I did notice is that here in England we have twylight but in Hawaii it is light and then goes dark. That is when the roaches come out. Of course Geckos are cold blooded and need to sun themselves. After a few days some of them got to know me and I could even stroke them and it seemed that they appreciated the warmth of my hands.

Sure ! I had Geckos on my walls but give me that any day to roaches on the floors.
Old October 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ali`i

Late last night around 11pm a small swarm of B-52's came into my outdoor patio where I was working on a computer. In all I managed to take out eight of em in mid-flight. That was totally strange for that many roaches to be out flying around.
Old October 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Late last night around 11pm a small swarm of B-52's came into my outdoor patio where I was working on a computer. In all I managed to take out eight of em in mid-flight. That was totally strange for that many roaches to be out flying around.
Ewww, gory!! But that was my original point, it seems that there are more of them in October than any other time of year. Wonder why.

Last night I got out the can of Raid, and it had no top on it, so I couldnt use it.
Asked the bf about it this morning, and he sheepishly admitted to smacking a B52 with the CAN (!) and breaking it! Hahahaha!
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post
Ewww, gory!! But that was my original point, it seems that there are more of them in October than any other time of year. Wonder why.
It's been a very warm October here in Hawaii; high humidity and all that... roaches love warm weather... they come out..... they fly... they swoop.... yuck!

Hope it gets colder and the big roaches take cover.
Old October 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Ali`i

Yeah, we have the huge B-52 Cockaroaches, as well as the smaller German Cockroach (easily controlled by "Dead-Fast").

The B-52's respond well to semi-annual Large Roach Baits in the home, and when they are on their backs they are easy to flush.

Hey, it's the tropics! That's the downside.
Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.
Old October 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Ali`i

somebody I know in Honolulu puts a few drops of Tobasco sauce in water and sprays is around worktops and floors. The little devil roaches don't like it and she hasn't been bothered again.
Old October 30th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
It's been a very warm October here in Hawaii; high humidity and all that... roaches love warm weather... they come out..... they fly... they swoop.... yuck!

Hope it gets colder and the big roaches take cover.
Maybe the big roaches could eat the regular roaches. So gross. My house is coated in home remedies lately. Cinnamon, rubbing alcohol, boric acid. Frankly, I hope the roaches come to eat the ants.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Haumana

Ok, OK, I am disgusted and get chicken skin reading this! So, ONE TIME, in front my gramma's house in Aiea, had one SWARM of roaches come out from da electric box in front da house.. had so plenny you could HEAR EM. Had white kine, stripe kine, bombers -- you name it. Gross, yeah?

One thing I noticed with combating roaches is that I always need to have many kinds of bait going at once. I'm personally keeping pest control companies in business, but yeah, that's the price of living in the tropics.

Now I get plenny imaginary bugs walking on my back. Gross.
Old June 10th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Kia`aina

Send a message via MSN to memorylane Send a message via Yahoo to memorylane

My dad was stationed to Schofield Barracks in 1979 and called us back home in Lawton to tell us of the *mansion* we would soon be living in, a newer two story quadplex on Ekaha Circle with 4 bedrooms and 2 and a half baths. Wow! We spent the first few days at the guest house on the base before moving in and the first night after showering, I reached down to turn off the faucets to see this HUGE cockroach in the tub!!! OMG!! LOL! After that and still, I can hear my mom slapping the walls and counter surfaces in order to kill whatever size roach she would come across. It never did any good to call and order a spray job because when the next unit sprayed, theirs came to us and vice versa.
I guess those crazy little geckos haven't done a very good job of keeping the roach population down thru the years.
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ali`i

Ya gotta bring out ALL the big guns. I use the large and small poison baits as well st the stick-tite glue traps (which we at least SEE the results!) and on-the-spot cruch/capture flush.

BTW; I have heard that flushing a BIGGIE is not enough, they swim back out and come back! To combat this, I put a drop of liquid soap in the toilet to break the surface tension when I flush. Perhaps it's magical thinking, but it makes me feel safer....

K

(Plop plop, fizz fizz, OH! what a relief it is!)
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:00 AM

There's an entire group of photographers who take pictures of all kinds of different cockroaches on Flickr. Most are not the ones we are familiar with. Here are some of the B-52s I found on Flickr (re-posted using their embed codes):

Cockroach by camalexisonfire, on Flickr

American Cockroach by graftedno1, on Flickr

Cockroach by xcode, on Flickr

Cockroaches on Flickr - many for your viewing pleasure.
Old June 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
Ali`i

Post Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaonohi View Post
Ya gotta bring out ALL the big guns. I use the large and small poison baits as well st the stick-tite glue traps (which we at least SEE the results!) and on-the-spot crunch/capture flush.
That's right! The more weapons used... the better the results!
Old June 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Luna

Whack da buggah flat! Smashing da cock-a-roach-a
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Luna

I found a product on Amazon.com, Harris's Roach Tablets. If you don't have a toddler or a pet that will gobble tablets they work good. I put them inside those plastic circular roach baits for a double dose. Throw 'em under the stove and the sink.
Harris's Roach Tablets;I recommend them.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
I found a product on Amazon.com, Harris's Roach Tablets. If you don't have a toddler or a pet that will gobble tablets they work good. I put them inside those plastic circular roach baits for a double dose. Throw 'em under the stove and the sink.
Harris's Roach Tablets;I recommend them.

Saw these at Long's yesterday. Only 4 bucks a box.
Old July 20th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Ali`i

I prefer to use the sticky traps if possible, because I do not want to have dead cockroaches left to disintegrate inside of cabinets, under the stove, behind furniture, or wherever else they can crawl as they are being poisoned. The body parts, as they dry up, can cause allergies and also aggravate asthma.

http://www.sharecare.com/question/ho...gger-allergies

Quote:
Dead roach body parts, which are known to be allergens, adhere to dust particles. These, in turn, become airborne and can cause an allergic reaction when they enter the lungs, eyes, and nose. Extermination can increase the problem because there will be more dead body parts in the dust. For allergy-friendly roach control, it's best to use traps.
I even toss out the sticky traps once there are a couple of cockroaches in there, because those dead bodies disintegrate too.
Old July 20th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Ali`i

You gotta be careful.

I tried dead fast and it worked, but had to be reapplied after 6 months.

For the B-52's I tried .357, but da wife was pissed about the big holes in the floor and walls. Amazing, how they stop, as if DARING you to shoot! .22's work as well, and make smaller holes - but still the wife complain - if I could get an accurate bb-gun....

I wrote out a peace treaty where they get the outside and we get the inside, and got them to 'sign' it (eewwww), but when I noticed some still inside, their ambassador claimed they were 'Rogue elements from another clan.' and that his clan was adhering to our agreement. So the sticky traps went back up.

Naturally, this post is for entertainment purposes only, for get you one smile, or even one laugh. All fiction, for real.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Luna

[QUOTE=Amati;271084]I prefer to use the sticky traps if possible, because I do not want to have dead cockroaches left to disintegrate inside of cabinets, under the stove, behind furniture, or wherever else they can crawl as they are being poisoned. The body parts, as they dry up, can cause allergies and also aggravate asthma.]

This reminds me, you can put those tablets in the wall when building or renovating.

I prefer to ingest the airborne body part dust for fiber and the challenge to my immunity system, because, what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Besides, who knows what else blows in when we simply open the door? Oh, no. Get the duct tape.

Wish I knew how to use the quote function properly.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 03:30 PM
Kia`aina

I love those Hoya sticky traps. They work amazing well and even catch the babies. After a few weeks, I ll snap the scent pouch in the middl releasing more of the aroma to lure them in.

I have to admit, I can be a bit macabre at times, as I enjoy opening it up and watching the little buggers try to escape, but they can't. "Going somewhere?" I say to them..

the downside, is that I noticed a gecko in my room one time, on the ceiling, on the wall, then I never saw him again. Until I was throwing the sticky box out and noticed him inside. Dead. I guess he was hungry too.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Wish I knew how to use the quote function properly.
Click on the red quote button at bottom right corner of post.
Highlight, then delete unwanted words, being careful not to delete the end quote ([/quote]) marker. Then write your answer starting on the next line after the end quote marker.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:43 PM
Ali`i

Talking Re: Cockroaches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaukura View Post
I love those Hoya sticky traps.(...)
the downside, is that I noticed a gecko in my room one time, on the ceiling, on the wall, then I never saw him again. Until I was throwing the sticky box out and noticed him inside. Dead. I guess he was hungry too.
I have had few lizards or geckos caught, but I do get the occasional centipede!!! (Whew!) As well as odd bugs of different sizes and flavors.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:28 PM
Ali`i

Geckos can be "saved", if discovered in time, but applying cooking oil (vegetable oil) to the trap. The oil will loosen the glue from the gecko. It takes a bit of careful manipulation, but it does work. Just be sure to not let the gecko's head get into the oil, or it will suffocate.

If you gently tear away as much of the cardboard trap as possible, the oil can soak into the glue faster. But be careful to not amputate a foot or finger of the poor gecko!

For those who are still with me here in these instruction... it takes about 20 minutes to successfully "free" a gecko.