Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Disappearing establishments

Ahhh the shredded mango from Wing coffee. I still get visions of that yellow VW with with the water bumpers.
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

[quote=speedtek;133258]other places I remember:

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:14 AM
Kia`aina

I don't think anyone mentioned Chunky's in McCully?

Jolly Roger's in Kahala. Home of the real Suzy-Q (Teri Burger with American cheese)
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Ali`i

FYI: The Wolfgang Puck Express at Ward Entertainment Center is now closed. They opened there along with the rest of the center in 2002. They featured California style gourmet pizzas, pastas & sandwiches.

The Ward Big City Diner next door must have been too much competition for the local clientele with its broader family friendly appeal and price point.

It'll be interesting to see who'll fill that now-vacant prime location.

The proprietor of that location also owns and operates the Wolfgang Puck Express located at the Aston Waikiki, as well as Chuck's Steakhouse and Chuck's Cellar in the Outrigger hotels, which are all still in operation.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Ali`i

[QUOTE=D'Alani;133352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtek View Post
other places I remember:

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

Swiss Inn had a very ono Osso Bucco(sp.?) I think it later became "Sty's" or was that before it bacame Swiss Inn?...too long ago.
I believe it was THE STY, where the original Country Comfort gigged, then SWISS INN, and now SWISS HAUS.

JOLLY ROGER also featured the TERI BEEF KING, BEEFY BOY, CHEESY GAL, and PORKY BOY sandwiches.
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Kumu

WHOA!

I jus read that COLUMBIA INN suddenly closed its doors without notice according Star Bulletin's Website.

They indeed was a favorite of mine. I always ordered their Teriyaki while I was still on the island. Visited mostly the Kapiolani location b4 it went buh bye 6 yrs ago which left their only location in kaimuki. I did go down to that location and the last time I went there was when I was goin to KCC at the time to meet up with my professor and a couple of fellow students from a class on what subject I foget but was good time while it lasted though.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Ali`i

I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Ali`i

Must be new management for the FORTY-NINER. The owners were well past retirement age.
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Ali`i

Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old?

Hong Kung that used to be on Harding. Used to eat there at least once a week with my ex.

Flamingo Chuckwagon. Love the fried chx.

Pearl City Tavern. Had the best won ton appetizer and cute monkeys.

Yamada's in Waialua. Family style Okinawan/Japanese food.

Marigold Market. Used to stop by after school for a nickle wax covered dill pickle.

Kastner's that was on Kamehameha. Bought our school clothes there.

Topper Drive-In. Another hang-out after school.

UH Shakeys. Only place I knew that served Primo dark.

Kapiolani Cafe. Yeah, I know they moved to Kalihi, but the food was never the same. Oxtail soup got junk as well as the fried rice.

Wo Fat on Hotel St. Had our wedding reception there and went to Oasis after, for the show.

Club Hubba Hubba! They still around? Used to have......more mature strippers during the daytime shows.

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte?

Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.

Big Way Burger. 5 for a buck. Was hard to beat that sale.

Wahiawa Bus Station cafe. Now Sunnyside on Kilani Ave.

Maroni's Pizza. A once a week event. They made a brief comeback, but didn't last a year. Maui Mikes is now there and seem to be holding up. Tried them a couple weeks ago and don't understand the popularity. Chicken falls off the bone and served with different dipping sauces. Personally, they overcook their chx to the point it's "powdery" and disintegrates in the mouth. Not melts. Some pieces, there's nothing left to chew.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
[...]Mongolian BBQ. Are they still there in Kaimuki? Used to go there all the time when they had the "buffet". Later visits to their new place was dissappointing.[...]
I was just thinking of Mongolian BBQ last week and wondering the same thing. I ate there more often when it was in Chinatown...the "buffet" days! But, I also enjoyed it after it moved to Kaimuki. Hmmm...it's gone (scroll to the bottom of the page for the reference)! I didn't think it was terrible at all!!!
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM
Ali`i

If the author is referring to M BBQ in the last few years, I'd have to sort of agree, although, I wouldn't put it as strongly as he/she did. We first went to M BBQ when they were in Chinatown, also, then followed them to Kaimuki when they opened right on Waialae Ave. The last few years was at a location next to that taxi stand behind that "fancy" bakery and it never was the same again. Too bad, so sad.

"...or a skirt steak marinated in Korean kim chee (a familiar taste for Islanders of all ethnicities)."????? Hah? I've never heard of it. Family's never heard of it. Friends have never mentioned it. I thought it kinda silly to assume that "Islanders of all ethnicities" know what this dish is. We'd have heard more about it by now, yes?
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:46 AM
Ali`i

I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
I'm going to try the skirt steak ("harimi") prepared at 12th Avenue Grill the next time I go there. I don't believe that it's marinated in kim chee there. Kim chee, I know. Skirt steak, I'm familiar with. Together ...... no.
It is marinated in kim chee base and it is really quite good, but not my favorite dish at 12th Ave Grill - that would be the desserts! I read the Epicurious article to mean that kim chee is a familiar flavor here, not kim chee marinated meat, but can see how it could be interpreted that way. I think I know who wrote the blurb and that person wouldn't make such an inaccurate generalization. And, no, it was not me!

Last edited by glossyp; March 17th, 2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: add info
Old March 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ali`i

Thanks for the clarification. Now, I know that I'll be ordering it. I usually consume their pork chop entree ........ along with a light dessert.
Old March 17th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Kumu

Send a message via ICQ to D'Alani

I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Ali`i

I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."
Old March 18th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Alani View Post
I believe skirt steak is the same as flap steak and Ige's in Waimalu makes a very good one, taste like the old style BBQ Beef. Costco usually have them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanpacific View Post
I don't know if the flap = skirt. The "skirt" is technically the diaphram muscle. But, you're right about the teriyaki flap meat a IGE's. DELICIOUS! It makes a popular pairing with their SHOYU PORK in a combo plate.

And Costco does sell "flap" meat in their cases. Also, DAIEI, nka "Don Quihote."
"flap" and "flank" steaks come from the same region of the cow, the "flank"--lower part of teats and below, i guess is how i'd describe it. "skirt" comes from the upper part of teats and above, called the "plate." or something like that.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Ali`i

This afternoon while walking by the former Jack in the Box on the Corner of Kalakaua Ave. and McCully., there was an active renovation in progress.

Come to find out from the workers on site, coming soon will be a Chinese Buffet restaurant.

They refused to give the specific business name. We'll soon find out.

Last edited by Pomai; May 5th, 2007 at 04:17 AM.
Old May 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
Wow! Das all after 7 pages? Here's a few more, many out thisaway. Maybe some too old?

Club Arirang. Remember Charlotte?
Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?
Old May 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by na alii View Post
Cigars, books of matches and a roll of quarters. Last time I saw her was at Gardenia Garden on Dillingham about 20 years ago. Wasn't Charlotte a Kalani grad?
A very naughty Kalani grad. Wonder how her reunions went?
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
I spotted a banner hanging from the old Forty Niner Restaurant in Aiea announcing that they will re-open. No date was provided, but it looks like they'll be back in business soon.
Forty Niner opened on Wednesday. New owners, but they kept all of the most popular dishes (saimin, beef cutlet, hamburger) and Jenny, the waitress who has been there forever, is working there also. Hours are 5am-8pm daily for the time being. The new owner said the hours might change in the future. Phone number is 484-1940.
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Ali`i

I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoruru View Post
I was headed to Foodland Ala Moana this afternoon, but when I got there, it was gone! The entire area is boarded up. Did I miss something in the news? Is it closed for good or just for renovation?
The latter is correct. According to pacificbusinessnews.com, renovations will close the Ala Moana location for 12 weeks. Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf and Beard Papa's Cream Puffs are included in the plans.

Thank goodness. I shop there every now and then for last minute grocery stuff I need whenever I'm in the mall. I'd hate for it to become just another overpriced clothes boutique.
Old May 19th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ali`i

That's a relief! I don't go there often, but it is a convenient location for me. And I like it that they're expanding their gourmet deli and bakery. And adding Beard's Papa!
Old June 1st, 2007, 03:31 AM
Kia`aina

Shung Chong Yuen, the Chinese bakery on Maunakea street, closed this week. They have been in business for a very long time.