Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old January 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Re: Disappearing establishments

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
Wow that was interesting.
that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimo55 View Post
that was for those working away in da office. just posted one with musick.
I remember those days when you could drive down Hotel Street. Yep Chinatown has surely changed a lot.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

All of Hawaii has changed alot... changed too much. and there's no stopping the cancer. more insidious than the swarms of missionaries that taught Hawaiians the concepts of one god. and sin and shame and don't dance the hula and let's destroy your pagan gods and your culture... (and be ready for our progeny to appropriate your culture and turn it into a casual cartoon amusement of ours. watch it be a main feature of Dizzyland!) Just so, the invasion and destruction of what was once a great culture, a beautiful island civilisation, is being destroyed. because domination. taking what you want at any cost. Gimme,gimme,gimme. Possession. I want buildings. investing in land. it's ingrained in to the consciousness of americans, westerners, europeans. Sure one can say; well they lost the war. get over it. Sure we may hear; they have convenience, stop complaining. if course well, get; "you aren't Hawaiian, you sure want yer piece of the by, ya NIMBY complainer". naturally we will be met with "naaah, the good ol days are here now..." well, lemme tellya. justifications for the wiping out of what once was... unfortunately drown out any interest to any degree, of listening to the original inhabitants of these lands.
Hawaii itself is a "disappearing establishment". It is being run rampant with people who move here wanting their starbucks, and mainland clubs and big stores. and all the manini shopping choices they have on the mainland. They move here from amelica and say "I am finally HOME!" and what of the kanaka maoli who actually can call Hawaii their home? because it IS... THEIR home, and for generations? and now, can no longer afford to live in their own land? and can no longer recognize their own home for the proliferation of the mainland corporate presence, wiping out all semblance of localness, all mom and pop stores... all things that separated the islands from the conus. The island is swarming with transplants who felt the pull for years and now they are here with their wishes that their investment of raw land... or a small house, or condotel unit in Kakaako or Wilshire, I mean Kapiolani, will double in value every couple years, and sure hope the big chains move to my neighborhood, that'll add value to my property, and that's a good thing cuz I want my convenience, i NEED many shopping possibilities. . . after all, the destruction of another's country is not necessarily a bad thing, in fact it's our prerogative.

Last edited by kimo55; January 11th, 2007 at 12:58 PM.
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Ali`i

...and that's why our planet is warming up. Our great-grandchildren will have conversations like this:

"eh, we go dive off Ward Centre (the name of a really cool reef). My Uncle Joe said he saw one fish there last week!"

pax
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

we'll have responses like this;
a fish... hmmm. usta know wot dat was. remind me. whassa fish?
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardOahuRN View Post
I wish her luck. She's a nice lady---anyone know if she is still working at Castle?
she is busy doing demo of her packaged and bottled products around town and ready to do it on da mainland.
(a Trade shows, at Daiei... wait. that died, eh?)

Last edited by kimo55; January 11th, 2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Kumu

At Ala Moana Center on da corner was this eating place LONG LONG TIME AGO. I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side. I am talkin da uda side which turned into a shoe stoa.....
Anyways, they served plate lunches and my mom used to get beef stew from them and whats funny is that you physically got maybe 2-3 actual meat hidden under sauce/gravy they put under. I wonder what kept them goin pulling stuff like dat?
Also they had a magazine rack with what else the adult mags.
Ohhhhhhh da workers always gave ya stink eye if they knew if u were lookin at stuuff ur no supposed to be lookin at.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Keiki

I remember Jon's. I liked to order their hamburgers and fries.
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Kumu

I dunno if its long gone or still stay......
Their specialty was Japanese Fast Food.....
One was and I do mean was at Pearl Kai across from the now defunct Tower Records

I am hazy if the Ala Moana Location is still there or not at the Food Court and the flagship store at Waikiki.
When I order their Teri Chix I go upstairs and grind like there is no tommorrow!

Abyone can help me on the name of this eating place?
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:32 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyWilliams View Post
I think it was called "Jons" errrr something. It was not on the current food court side.
I remember the place, too. It was a small corner store. I used to like their mini curry bowl.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM
Kumu

Today was the last day for Ma's Place on Kauai.
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
Ali`i

Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease. The good news is that George Mavrothalassatis of Chef Mavro will open a casual restaurant in the spot called Cassis Honolulu. The cuisine will be classic French bistro fare with Hawaii Regional influence. This news is really exciting to me as I'm a fan of classic French bistro food.
What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?

pax
Old February 2nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
What is french bistro food perzactly? And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?
Steak, French fries, roast chicken, creme brulee, sweet tartes, savory tartes, French onion soup, nicoise salad (basically tuna salad with olives and vinaigrette), cream puffs though of course they are called profiteroles. Simpe, everyday food. I'm getting hungry just writing it down. Some of the example dishes I saw in the press release were a tarte tartin with li hing mui flavors and a tako-green papaya salad. Octopus is a typical French ingredient, but papaya is not so I guess that's where the HRC "spin" comes in. And, indeed, where is SusieMisajon?
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Kanaka

Unhappy Re: Disappearing establishments

ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh well
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
And where's SusieMisajon to help clarify it?
According to the Members listing, her last post was on November 4, but the last time she looked in here was January 29.
Hope she's okay...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old February 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifotog View Post
ok...one mo for the books....Marukai 99 Cents store in Waipahuuuu! On Saturday, I went to go shop at the town center....I thought I was seeing things...but no ways! windows covered with paper, leasing sign...sad to say, was all pau....nice thing about dis store, had choke stuff for almost every household need...oh well
Perhaps the Waipahu folks felt they were being ripped off by the higher $1.49 price on most items and stopped going there.

Their inventory is often a toss-up of either crap that isn't even worth a penny, to items that belie its bargain-basement price. I've gotten pretty good mileage out of some of their 99 cent Chef's Knives. They sure are sharp right out of the package. Eventually rust sets in to its so called "Stainless Steel" blade and you just toss 'em.

I once found a postcard in there that simply said "Night time in Honolulu" on the back. The photo on the front wasn't even a photo. Just a BLACK, unexposed void of NOTHING. Now THAT'S truly "night time in Honolulu"... with no power or moonlight! I was gonna' send it in to Jay Leno, but never got around to it.

I sure miss the Tesoro Gas Station that was replaced with Wahoo's/Star##cks/Jamba Juice/Video Store on the corner of Auahi and Ward (fronting 99 Cent Store). It was so convenient for gas on my way to work, plus they were cheaper than the Shell up the street.

Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?

Last edited by Pomai; February 6th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Ali`i

[QUOTE=glossyp;130044]Palomino is going away soon. They decided not to renew their lease.QUOTE]

I used to like Palamino, but they changed their menu and the food sucked. The aged meat, the kiawe wood smoked prime rib or whatever it was is gone. Even the Calamari Rings didnt taste the same.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai View Post
Note that the Chevron Gas Station across K-Mart on Nimitz Hwy. (just before Sam Choy's BLC) recently closed down as well. Anyone know what will replace that?
Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
Whats the deal with the Chevrons closing? First Nuuanu, then the one by Redline, now another one?
It kind of looks like Nuuanu one might reopen again, not sure tho. They apparently did some remodelling in the repair bays, but cant really tell from outside.
Answer somewhat solved on the Nimitz (near K-Mart) Chevron location: there's a FOR SALE real estate sign up. The building itself has already been demolished. I can only imagine how much that property is worth. God Forbid the new buyer doesn't put up (or allowed) another condo there. I don't think the property area is large enough for another big box retailer.
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:51 AM
Ali`i

Here I am...didja miss me?

French home cooking with Hawaiian flavour, or Hawaiian home cooking with French flavour?. Laulaus made with fatty duck. Li hing mui powder in the sorbets. Macadamia nut wafers. Portuguese sausage in the garbure soup. Mango and papaya mousse. Raw fish in the crudité platter. Ginger zest in the crepes suzettes. Watercress in the omlettes. Pot au Feu with taro chunks. Sweet potato and cream soup. Creme brulee with ohelo berries. White chocolate and macadamia Nutella. Roast chicken rubbed with char siu spice. Bayonne ham in sushi.
Old February 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
The Nuuanu and Waiakamilo Chevrons were both owned by Richard Awakuni. Since they had the same owner, I wouldn't call it a rash of closings; you could really think of it as one closing. Awakuni runs an auto detailing business downtown now.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieMisajon View Post
Here I am...didja miss me?
Yeah...where you been?

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old February 19th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

I was saddened to learn that The Bistro at Century Center has closed. Didn't get to eat there often, but our dining scene is less complete now that The Bistro is no more.
Old February 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Kia`aina

other places I remember:

Tanoue's in Kaimuki, I remember my Kalani classmate Wendy Tanoue's family owned it and she worked there. It was a saimin place.

Swiss Inn in Niu Valley. It had very different food.

9th Avenue Snack Shop. I remember they had good teriburgers.

King's Bakery McCully. I loved the Chili with Cube Steak, some old Filipino cook made it. in the late 80's it changed after he retired.

My Family owned the following:
Chun Hoon Everybodys supermarket in Nuuanu

Wing Coffee Co. on Pauahi St. Famous for the Crack Seed barrels and Fresh Roasted Peanuts and Kona Coffee. My Great Grandfather (Chong Sum Wing) was responsible for starting Mun Lun Chinese School. He put up the $5000 in the early 1900's to start the school. My Grand Aunt (his daughter Marietta Eng) is one of the advisers of the school and she has written a few books on old Hawaii and Chinese families. (you can find her books on Amazon.com)

Chang & Sons (gone in the 60's) Chinese Merchants.

I went to Masu's last week and bought 4 Lau Lau Plates, still $3.95 or $5.20 for the works. Me and my son ate 1 the first day and ate the rest the next day. They have frozen Lau Laus for those of you who want to hold on to the flavor.....maybe sell it on ebay later!!! gotta get somemore before next week!

Last edited by speedtek; February 20th, 2007 at 02:41 AM.