Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old October 12th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Ali`i

Default What's For Dinner - Chapter 1

Tell us what's on the menu for dinner tonight!

Here's some items to consider:
Where's it at: Home? Dining out? Birthday or special occasion?
Did you prepare it? If so, want to share a special recipe?
How did it taste? Give a rating!
If dining out, how's the quality of food, value and service?
After dinner, are you gonna' have dessert or late night snack?
Got a picture of the food? Share!
Got food to share? Share!
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Ali`i

Default S&S Saimin & Melona Bar

Staying home tonight. My usual work week "eat-to-live" bowl of ready-to-eat S&S Saimin from "Cosco's". Always satisfies. Maybe a Melona bar later.
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Banned

Default Re: What's For Dinner - Chapter 1

Philly cheese steak sammitch! and beeg kine fries wit da skeens still steh on top. and den rock n roll beer. i mean rolling rok. and a shot o' to kill ya.

ho da oh no!

she had cheeze boyguh and fries and merlot.
at chili's. Rob our bartender was shhhhaaakkkaaaah.
taaanx, brah!
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Ali`i

I made chop steak (sliced maui onions,celery,red bell peppers, 1 piece crushed ginger, 1 piece crushed garlic) with oyster sauce.

Slice beef (1 piece steak), pour 2-3 tbls. oil into wok.

Add sliced beef (sliced thin)

pepper, garlic powder to your liking. don't over kill!

Add 1 tbls. oyster sauce

Add vegetables, stir fry, add dash of shoyu

All pau when vegetables are done yet still crisp!

Onolicious!

Served with hot steamy rice or as PUPU!

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Last edited by 1stwahine; October 13th, 2005 at 12:07 AM.
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:53 AM

Stay home as usual, had chicken, rice and a tomatoe. Ate during the 7 o clock hour before "Lost" came on TV.
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:40 AM
Ali`i

5 thumbs down dining in the office. Not dining, actually. Rather, snacking. Some cut up fresh fruit from the Costco deli. A meat stick from the Costco snack aisle. And now there's a greasy trackball attached to my 'puter. Oh well..."You wanted to be in show biz." as my dad used to say whenever I whined about the hours.
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue
5 thumbs down dining in the office. Not dining, actually. Rather, snacking. Some cut up fresh fruit from the Costco deli. A meat stick from the Costco snack aisle. And now there's a greasy trackball attached to my 'puter. Oh well..."You wanted to be in show biz." as my dad used to say whenever I whined about the hours.

Call me anal, Tutusue, but when I eat at my computers, I usually cover the mouse with a napkin, paper towel, or BETTER YET a keiki butt wiper. We always have diaper wipes around for all purpose uses, and covering the computer mouse is one of them. When you're done you can wipe down the keyboard and the desk with it.
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:12 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
Call me anal, Tutusue, but when I eat at my computers, I usually cover the mouse with a napkin, paper towel, or BETTER YET a keiki butt wiper. We always have diaper wipes around for all purpose uses, and covering the computer mouse is one of them. When you're done you can wipe down the keyboard and the desk with it.
Just call me lazy, Lavagal! When all of my cylinders and pistons are operating in rested mode, yah, I pretty much do the same thing. But right now I'm just tryin' to get enough energy to walk from the computer to the bed...do not pass Go, do not collect $200. I have containers of those Clorox wipes thingies stored all over the place. Unfortunately, tonight, the closest container is further away than the bed!

A bit of a departure from dinner, but has anyone else discovered the fairly new Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? They're great for computers...esp. white iBooks! I cut one in fourths and keep one piece by each computer.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled dinner menu expose!
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Ali`i

Default Surf N' Turf

She: Flame-Grilled Lemon Pepper Ahi Fillet with rice and tossed salad. Punch.
Me: Swiss 'N Shroom Burger, fully loaded. Side 'o curly fries. Non-diet Cola.
Shack Hawaii Kai. Food, service and waterfront ambiance always a winner.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Ali`i

A 'self assembled' tv dinner consisting of frozen Costco meatballs and frozen mixed veggies. Nuke, add some bbq sauce. Works for the office!
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:40 AM
Ali`i

Safeway brand "Southwestern Quesadilla" from the frozen section. Added some leftover Doritos from last week's homemade taco salad.

For once I got it out of the container mostly intact, so it looked like the picture on the cover of the box.
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:21 AM
Ali`i

Grilled sirloin steaks in the back yard, homemade steak fries. Kid 1 ate spuds. Kid 2 ate steak. Both wanted dessert. Mean Momma said "NO!"
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:53 AM
Ali`i

bachelo-rama: 7-11 chicken sambo, loaded with squeeze cheese, mayo and extra pickles and jalepenos...3 shoyu-soaked pork hash...my last budweiser, and, maybe now, a glass of my sleeping roomie's smoking loon california syrah...
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub
bachelo-rama: 7-11 chicken sambo, loaded with squeeze cheese, mayo and extra pickles and jalepenos...3 shoyu-soaked pork hash...my last budweiser, and, maybe now, a glass of my sleeping roomie's smoking loon california syrah...

Man, how DO you maintain your girlish figgah?
Old October 14th, 2005, 04:05 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal
Man, how DO you maintain your girlish figgah?
plenny walking and biking and a lot of healthy sammiches (7-11 crap-slaps notwithstanding)...
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Ali`i

Baked Kalbi Short-ribs and BBQ Chicken, Kernal Corn with Butter, Kim Chee, Iced Tea. and Hot Steam Rice.

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 14th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Kumu

2 slices of diced tomato, black olive, and extra cheese pan pizza with a huge bottle of water.
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:14 AM
Ali`i

Default Feeling Clammy

Clam Dip with Ruffles Chips. It's Friday, so wash down with one of them cold green things.

Aunty Nalani's Ono Clam Dip
2 eight oz. blocks Philadelphia cream cheese - softened at room temperature
1 tspn. Worcestershire Sauce (adjust to your taste)
1 tspn. Lemon Juice (adjust to your taste)
1 can minced clams - drained and save brine (add more if you like it really clammy)
1/3 cup cream (don't substitute with milk, it doesn't taste as good)
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Use an electric cake beater/mixer and combine cream cheese, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and cream until fully combined and smooth. Slowly add clam brine until a smooth dip-like consistency is achieved. Fold in minced clams with a spoon until fully incorporated. Season with cracked black pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Enjoy!

This dip is delicious with Ruffles regular Potato Chips (gotta be Ruffles!), Pretzels and those new Pita Chips from "Cosco's".
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:53 AM
Kia`aina

Default Re: Feeling Clammy

Tonight, dinner at home with husband:

Slices of ham, fried
Red potatoes, steamed
Caesar salad
Ben & Jerry's ice cream

Kid at the roller rink every Friday night:

eating God only knows what
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Feeling Clammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomai
Clam Dip with Ruffles Chips. It's Friday, so wash down with one of them cold green things.

Aunty Nalani's Ono Clam Dip
2 eight oz. blocks Philadelphia cream cheese - softened at room temperature
1 tspn. Worcestershire Sauce (adjust to your taste)
1 tspn. Lemon Juice (adjust to your taste)
1 can minced clams - drained and save brine (add more if you like it really clammy)
1/3 cup cream (don't substitute with milk, it doesn't taste as good)
Fresh Cracked Black Pepper

Use an electric cake beater/mixer and combine cream cheese, worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and cream until fully combined and smooth. Slowly add clam brine until a smooth dip-like consistency is achieved. Fold in minced clams with a spoon until fully incorporated. Season with cracked black pepper. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Enjoy!

This dip is delicious with Ruffles regular Potato Chips (gotta be Ruffles!), Pretzels and those new Pita Chips from "Cosco's".

That's a variation on one I use for the Super Bowl party I go to every year. Oddly, people will eat it with Doritos, too. Good stuff!
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:04 PM
Ali`i

Default In the Navy You Can Sail The Seven Seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkmeister
That's a variation on one I use for the Super Bowl party I go to every year. Oddly, people will eat it with Doritos, too. Good stuff!
Any flavored chip used with a dip is just overkill for me. But yeah.. that Clam Dip recipe rocks!

Throwing a Bon Voyage pah'tay for my Merchant Marine buddy. Makin' some good ole' backyard Pulehu-style hamburgers with full serve-yourself topping station, including my favorite, da' swiss cheese and butter-sauteed mushrooms! Hot deli-style steak fries on da' side. Choke Poke and Tako fo' pupu. Ehh... Who going stock da' coolah?
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:25 PM
Banned

Default Re: In the Navy You Can Sail The Seven Seas

Quote:
Any flavored chip used with a dip is just overkill for me.

I am happy to scarf flavored chips dipped into two dips with cheese on them too, and washed down with beer, with a beer chaser. Bring on the overkill.
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:19 AM
Ali`i

Default Your Asparagus is Touching My Mushrooms

Yours truly in the kitchen tonight. One of our favorites! Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms c/o Wolfgang Puck. Simple meal in itself. If you're a pasta lover, you MUST try this recipe*... absolutely delizioso!

Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms

Add dry Penne Pasta to boiling salted water and cook until slightly under al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a large saute pan or Wok, add fresh raw asparagus, chopped in 1" sections, sliced fresh white mushrooms (or your favorite variety), minced garlic, fresh chopped thyme and oregano and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add about 1 cup of canned chicken stock and a dab of butter. Allow stock to reduce to half.

When stock is reduced and asparagus and mushrooms are al dente, add the Penne, turn down heat and gently combine. Finish cooking everything together until Penne is fully cooked. Season with Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Serve with fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan Cheese) and chiffonade of Basil.

A good glass of your favorite cheap wine rounds out this dish to date-plate perfection.

Also works great as an accompaniment to grilled meats and fish.

*Measurements were left out because we don't have it. Yet, this is one of those dishes you can ad lib measurements to your own taste. With Asparagus and Mushrooms, you can't go wrong! You can also substitute the pasta with your own favorite, such as Tortellini or even Linguine. You may also add other ingredients such as onions and carrots, but it's best to keep it simple.
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Your Asparagus is Touching My Mushrooms

Quote:
Yours truly in the kitchen tonight. One of our favorites! Penne with Asparagus and Mushrooms c/o Wolfgang Puck. Simple meal in itself. If you're a pasta lover, you MUST try this recipe*... absolutely delizioso!

Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms

Add dry Penne Pasta to boiling salted water and cook until slightly under al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a large saute pan or Wok, add fresh raw asparagus, chopped in 1" sections, sliced fresh white mushrooms (or your favorite variety), minced garlic, fresh chopped thyme and oregano and saute for 1-2 minutes. Then add about 1 cup of canned chicken stock and a dab of butter. Allow stock to reduce to half.

When stock is reduced and asparagus and mushrooms are al dente, add the Penne, turn down heat and gently combine. Finish cooking everything together until Penne is fully cooked. Season with Kosher Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste. Serve with fresh grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan Cheese) and chiffonade of Basil.

A good glass of your favorite cheap wine rounds out this dish to date-plate perfection.

Also works great as an accompaniment to grilled meats and fish.

*Measurements were left out because we don't have it. Yet, this is one of those dishes you can ad lib measurements to your own taste. With Asparagus and Mushrooms, you can't go wrong! You can also substitute the pasta with your own favorite, such as Tortellini or even Linguine. You may also add other ingredients such as onions and carrots, but it's best to keep it simple.
sounds ono.... do you recommend white or red wine?
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Your Asparagus is Touching My Mushrooms

Re: Penne Pasta with Asparagus and Mushrooms
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohabear
sounds ono.... do you recommend white or red wine?
Cabernet Sauvignon (red). If we're having wine with a special meal, it's usually that. Merlot (red) works too.

But hey, if you like White Zinfandel or other, go for it!

Of course a Sommelier will say, "Because your dish is earthy yet light, I'd recommend Tannin this and acidity that"... yadda yadda yadda.

Even one of Kimo's custom-made Mai Tai or Bud Light would work.
Closed Thread