Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Na Mea Ho`ohau`oli > The Library
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old October 12th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon
Default Re: National Novel Writing Month

Exactly right. Aunty Lynn, chck out the NaNoWriMo site, and the "About" page. It's a fun writing exercise, not a test. I have no doubt you could tell a 50,000 word story in a month. You probably already do on your blog! The only difference is, this would be fictional. And lord knows you've got a hell of an imagination!

With 21 days to go, today the NaNoWriMo site is officially opened for business. Former NaNo-ites should log in to "reactivate," new folks should register.
Old October 12th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzarquon View Post
Exactly right. Aunty Lynn, chck out the NaNoWriMo site, and the "About" page. It's a fun writing exercise, not a test. I have no doubt you could tell a 50,000 word story in a month. You probably already do on your blog! The only difference is, this would be fictional. And lord knows you've got a hell of an imagination!

With 21 days to go, today the NaNoWriMo site is officially opened for business. Former NaNo-ites should log in to "reactivate," new folks should register.
heheheh. Ok. I go look again. Last year, I got scared. Remember?

Auntie Lynn
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Luna

Quote:
Mahalo for the reminder! Glad to see you're participating again!
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailina View Post
Glad to see you're participating again!
Same to you - welcome back to HT!
Old October 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Participating and completing are very different things! I've got an unbroken record with NaNo, but it's not the one most participants are striving for. But yes, I'm definitely a fan of NaNo and its other participants as much as I am writing myself.

I'm glad to again serve as the "municipal liason" for Hawaii, and even though forming a list of personal journalers and bloggers doing NaNoWriMo is quaint and ridiculous (since it seems all bloggers are doing it sometimes), I'm still quietly running the "Journalers & Bloggers NaNoWriMo" list. If you're a blogger and a NaNoWriMo participant, feel free to drop me a line. Especially if you're going to be publishing your novel online as you write.
Old October 18th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: National Novel Writing Month

There are some rumblings in the Hawaii section of the official NaNoWriMo Forum for planning a kick-off meetup. Possibly Sunday, Oct. 29. If you're interested, chime in!
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Ali`i

Lightbulb Re: National Novel Writing Month

Well, there was a kick-off meetup, once again at Pearl City Zippy's. Finally got to try their famous sushi. Scrivener showed up, as did a young Kapolei High School student named Tricia.

We talked about writing, of course, favorite authors, college applications, writing, local politics, and writing.

Scrivener's still not sure if he's going to attempt NaNo this year, but after our small meetup, he's got at least two people egging him on. 'Ailina's in, and I'll be reading along. Aunty Lynn? Helen? Anyone else? The madness begins on Wednesday! Just for trying, you get to know weirdos like us, and even collect some cute swag! As always, I'll happily host anyone who wants to publish their novel on the web as they go.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Ali`i

Will be making the attempt this year, managed to take next week as vacation (Election day on Tuesday, Veterans Day on Friday) to work on it. On the bad side the story in question might generate a low word count.
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:59 AM
Ali`i

sheesh! I have a hard enough time committing to posting here, and ya want me to write a novel??

pax
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:14 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Boy, do I need to lose some weight.
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:34 PM
Luna

Quote:
Scrivener's still not sure if he's going to attempt NaNo this year, but after our small meetup, he's got at least two people egging him on. 'Ailina's in, and I'll be reading along. Aunty Lynn? Helen? Anyone else?
I'm gonna give it a try this year...trading one marathon for another. Not doing the Honolulu Marathon this year...I've been battling a long-standing case of runner's knee that kept me from getting any significant mileage in... so I guess, why not use the pent-up energy for this?
Old November 1st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Kumu

Good luck to those starting NaNoWriMo today--although if you are, you shouldn't be reading this, you should be working on getting those 2,000 words done for the day. As Anne Lamott advises, just take it bird by bird.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

There is a feature on it on Yahoo's Front page right now.
http://dir.yahoo.com/thespark/3750/get-ready-to-write

Good luck to those that par take in it.

50,000 words really isn't a lot... it sounds like a lot... but it's not.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:50 AM
Ali`i

Okay. I'm doing it. I'm writing a mock-western, set in a modern high school with the school's hallways serving as the town that needs "cleaning up" in the wild, untamed west. I honestly don't think I'll be able to finish this year, as I did not finish last year, but I'll give it an honest go.

If you're curious, you can check out my novel in progress here.

Don't be surprised if, like last year, the final entry is dated November 8!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:29 PM
Ali`i

Scriv',

I read your entry and left a comment, but it didn't show up. I'm having problems as well with Word Press' comment feature on my food blog. They wrote back to me saying they're having server problems. So dunno' yet.

Anyway, that description about "damsels eyes reflective like an olympic sized pool" was cool. I'll be following your entry. So far so good!

Someone should do one on that "Never Ending Story" we had going a while ago here about "Mr. Coin".
Old November 2nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
Ali`i

I have comment-moderation turned on (spam protection), so your comments won't appear until I get a chance to go through my email and give them the oh kay.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
Ali`i

So we can read along with Mitchell and 'Ailina (hopefully!). Keith, Helen, are you posting your works in progress?

Want to know how bad things look for me right now? I have 500 words. My wife, who's never done NaNo before, doesn't fancy herself a writer, and has less time in the day than I do, has 1,400 words.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:48 PM
Ali`i

That beats my total of 300 something words from yesterday but I was watching 3 TV shows last night. For sure I can add more words to the first chapter tonight.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Luna

Quote:
So we can read along with Mitchell and 'Ailina (hopefully!). Keith, Helen, are you posting your works in progress?
I have to think about that. I do have an excerpt written on my profile page on nanowrimo.org (the first few paragraphs...it's meant to be a romance-comedy written in the form of e-mail threads), but I did read in No Plot No Problem (yeah, I actually bought it at B&N...on Oct. 31, no less) that it may be a good idea to keep it to myself. I might set up a temporary blog on my site, but with comments turned off. I'll let you guys know.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM
Ali`i

Say, What if I were to start Friday? 11/3?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:17 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavagal View Post
Say, What if I were to start Friday? 11/3?
I don't think it's a problem, I think the NaNoWriMo site is still taking new users. The main goal is to finish 50,000 before the end of the month. It all depends on how much free time you have.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:57 PM
Ali`i

Probably no free time here, but I was quite envious of those of you who were active with this last year. I write thousands of words a week. Maybe I can weave them into the Perfect Storm of Aquaculture. Or maybe I'll write about life with an office demon. Most of you have office mates. sigh.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:32 AM
Ali`i

Sign-ups at Nanowrimo.org are taken until, I think, November 21 or something like that, with this note in parentheses: Hope springs eternal. November 3 would be no problem at all.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:23 PM
Luna

Yikes. Family reunion eclipsed Kick-Off, so I'm jumping in 3 days late and 6,000 words behind!!!

Burning the midnight oil tonight, lots of coffee, and squeezing proverbial blood from a rock!!!

Getting the 'okole in gear...
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ali`i

I'm way too late to begin writing for this year's deadline. So I thought I'd have fun designing concept art for a hypothetical book cover of what I'd like to try...

That's my perception of what "Mr. Coin" would look like (imagine his face animated in dialog). Funny how one of those Sopranos look like Gov. Lingle. lol

The story would be loosely based on The Never Ending Story thread started here a while ago.

Next year for sure!