Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old July 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Ali`i

Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stwahine View Post
Wat is Walgreens anyways?
It is a chain of drug stores and this chain is in the process of openning up some locations on Oahu. One that I know of is the old Towers Records/Video on Kapiolani Blvd. No idea when the opening date is.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
It is a chain of drug stores and this chain is in the process of openning up some locations on Oahu. One that I know of is the old Towers Records/Video on Kapiolani Blvd. No idea when the opening date is.
Mahalo Helen...I'll stick with Longs Drug Stores!

Da Longs Lady
Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Old July 10th, 2007, 02:55 AM
Ali`i

I don't know about switching my pharmacy needs to Walgreens but I suspect that they sell other things that might not be available any place else on the island. For instance according to their web site they sell Aiptek digital camcorders.
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener View Post
Well, a photo technician is not a PR guy, but he does work there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Does Walgreen's know that you are posting messages publicly about them, both here and on MySpace?
Note that GT has made his MySpace "private." We're not that scary... (Of course, the Google cache still existed ...)
Old July 10th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Lakio View Post
Note that GT has made his MySpace "private." We're not that scary... (Of course, the Google cache still existed ...)
Well well. Interesting. Don't know if it was the Walgreen's situation that made him privatize his page, or getting outed for pretending to be a teenager (which is a huge red flag these days), or...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 11th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikaNui View Post
Well well. Interesting. Don't know if it was the Walgreen's situation that made him privatize his page, or getting outed for pretending to be a teenager (which is a huge red flag these days), or...
It was made private because somebady publicly linked to it?
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Ali`i

Whatever.
We are so over your personal issues now.
[/yawn]
On to bigger and better things.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I wonder if people not living here have any idea how much a part of the daily culture Longs is. I was discussing the impending Walgreens invasion with friends at the park yesterday, and one of the things that kept coming up was how loyal Hawaii people are. I think there are feelings of loyalty for stores like Longs, and I think it's a little weird, but I like it, too.

It's true that convenience and pricing are huge. The first Costco here wasn't at all convenient, and neither was the first Costco on the Big Island; yet people made them part of their weekly routines.

Still, loyalty goes a long way around here, and I think certain habits we consumers have are not often easily given up.

It's an interesting situation, and I'm eager to see how it plays out.
I will be most interested to see how the Walgreens due to be built on the old Kam Bowl site will affect business at the Long's next door.

I don't know about the idea that Hawaii's shoppers are more "loyal" than their mainland counterparts. I think it may be true with older shoppers who are more set in their ways and habits. But with younger folks, I think they will be more open-minded and looking to see which retailer offers the better combination of prices and service.

Don't believe me? Once upon a time, stores like Gibson's and Gem's prospered on this island. But when the big box stores came in during the late1980s-early '90s, slowly but surely, those longtime stores gradually declined and died.

I don't know how the Long's stores here will fare with the local entry of Walgreen's, but I'm sure it will impact the way they do their business, one way or another.
Old July 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Kumu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post

I don't know how the Long's stores here will fare with the local entry of Walgreen's, but I'm sure it will impact the way they do their business, one way or another.

I am still puzzzled how come there is no "Longs Drugs" presence in the city of San Francisco but hey go figure. "Walgreens" dominates SF anyways.
As for me living down the Penninsula, Longs and Walgreens are all over. Theres a Longs Drugs lol in each city here.
In Millbrae another Walgreens is being built and whats strange is just right next to it is who else.......LONGS DRUGS.
As long as sales are afloat and each store is making some kind of profit BOTH Walgreens and Longs will keep on thriving here on my end.
Old July 13th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Ali`i

Last night and early this morning a fence was put around the Kam Bowl site so demolition of the building is coming faster than I had thought.

Aj
Old July 13th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

For a few nights before that, they had a security guard sitting there over-night, just hanging out in his or her car.

I want a job like that.
Old July 14th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
For a few nights before that, they had a security guard sitting there over-night, just hanging out in his or her car.

I want a job like that.
But you might have to deal with zombies.

Just kidding, watched one too many campy horror flicks.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I want a job like that.
Probably not hard to find. Just don't expect to get paid much.
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Luna

The weirdest thing is that we were just talking about this yesterday at work! How did we all end up talking about this at the same time?

Our conversation morphed into the other corporations that have moved in and tried to drive other businesses out of business. The worst part is that they don't even try to hide that fact. The gloat about it!

But, Starbucks hasn't driven too many family-owned coffee shops out of business and Wal-Mart just creates traffic and steals our dollars. It should be interesting to see just how much damage Wal-Mart AND Walgreens can do to Longs. I guess we'll just have to see what they do to compensate.

I too have a loyalty issue with Longs. I really don't mind the incoming businesses but I don't like the cut-throat attitude that some of them have.

I talk too much!
Old July 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
The weirdest thing is that we were just talking about this yesterday at work! How did we all end up talking about this at the same time?
Well, this thread is nearly two years old, so it's not THAT coincidental!

Quote:
Our conversation morphed into the other corporations that have moved in and tried to drive other businesses out of business.
How do you feel about the established businesses doing the same thing to other established businesses or to upstarts? The Honolulu Advertiser, Aloha Airlines, and Hawaiian Air have been doing this: Does it get you equally mad?

Quote:
I too have a loyalty issue with Longs. I really don't mind the incoming businesses but I don't like the cut-throat attitude that some of them have.
Longs has more than 74% of the market. That's a stranglehold. If other businesses want to take a legitimate shot at wresting some portion of that away, it can only be good for the consumer. NOBODY deserves 74% of the market, wouldn't you say? Sure, you want Longs to continue to succeed, and I appreciate that, but don't you want it at least to have to compete for your hard-earned dollars?
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Ali`i

Well, it's been awhile now. But Lowes and Home Depot haven't put City Mill or Hardware Hawaii out of business. Kilgo's seems to still be around, but I'm not sure how healthy they are.

Maybe with the topic at hand, same story, different players?
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
[...]Kilgo's seems to still be around,[...]
Unfortunately, Kilgo's closed a few months ago.
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I must have missed that. Glad I got my photos when I did.
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tutusue View Post
I hear that Kilgo's are planning to re-open in another location.

Regarding Walgreen's, I think they have a good opportunity to take market share if their service and prices are good. The service and general attitude of the Longs in our neighborhood is abominable. I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
I hear that Kilgo's are planning to re-open in another location.

I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.
I agree with your last statement regarding the long wait to get prescriptions filled at Longs, which helps in their favor because they gather the consumer will wait the hour and shop around. What bothers me the most is is that I have our doctor call in the prescription ahead of time, then tell me why when I get to Longs they confirm the doctor called, but they still hadn't started working on the prescription? I don't like this at all, it's as if the doctor never called ahead of time. They claim so many people simply fail to come in to get their prescriptions (and by calling the houses of these people who seriously want or need the pill bottles might help some) so they prefer to wait until they know you are really coming to pick it up.

Aj
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Luna

Quote:
Well, this thread is nearly two years old, so it's not THAT coincidental!
I've never been here until just the other day, so for me, it was VERY coincidental! I didn't even know this thread was here until today.

Quote:
How do you feel about the established businesses doing the same thing to other established businesses or to upstarts? The Honolulu Advertiser, Aloha Airlines, and Hawaiian Air have been doing this: Does it get you equally mad?
All three of the businesses you named have at one time or another been in severe financial distress. I believe it's survival of the fittest? They are trying to protect their turf and that is to be expected. I'm not sure about the airlines but I know the Advertiser has been around since before I was born, so who am I to talk about their business? They have a wonderful history here. Besides, the Star Bulletin survived that war. I'm glad they did too.

Quote:
Longs has more than 74% of the market. That's a stranglehold. If other businesses want to take a legitimate shot at wresting some portion of that away, it can only be good for the consumer. NOBODY deserves 74% of the market, wouldn't you say? Sure, you want Longs to continue to succeed, and I appreciate that, but don't you want it at least to have to compete for your hard-earned dollars?
Do I want Longs or any other business to compete for my money? Oh absolutely. That is why I said that "I don't really mind the incoming businesses." Driving the price down is always a good thing. I think every consumer would agree to that.
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glossyp View Post
Regarding Walgreen's, I think they have a good opportunity to take market share if their service and prices are good. The service and general attitude of the Longs in our neighborhood is abominable. I have never had a prescription filled that didn't take a minimum of an hour and often longer. I no longer go there if there is any way to avoid it.
Don't expect any dramatic improvement in that area from Walgreen's, if their track record on the mainland is anything to go by.

Two hour wait for a prescription from Walgreen's? Not atypical, at all. Read about it, and learn.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show....php?p=5324889
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Keiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Don't expect any dramatic improvement in that area from Walgreen's, if their track record on the mainland is anything to go by.

Two hour wait for a prescription from Walgreen's? Not atypical, at all. Read about it, and learn.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/show....php?p=5324889
The problem with that is that you only hear about the 2 hour waits for a prescription. If you go to Walgreens or Longs or any pharmacy and get your prescription on time, why would you go tell people? You expect it. You only hear about people who don't get it on time because we are naturally impatient. Walgreens who don't get your prescriptions ready on time don't have them ready because of the people that work there, not the store itself. with the all the tools they've implemented to streamline the filling process such as automated scales, their pharmacy system that is linked world-wide, etc, the only excuse for not having something ready is the people that work there didn't fill it in time. People will shop wherever they can get their prescription the fastest for the cheapest. Since most people have insurance, your co-pay will be the same no matter where you go, so it all comes down to wait time. So the question really is, Who can fill your prescription the fastest? Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftedThunder View Post
The problem with that is that you only hear about the 2 hour waits for a prescription. If you go to Walgreens or Longs or any pharmacy and get your prescription on time, why would you go tell people? You expect it. You only hear about people who don't get it on time because we are naturally impatient. Walgreens who don't get your prescriptions ready on time don't have them ready because of the people that work there, not the store itself. with the all the tools they've implemented to streamline the filling process such as automated scales, their pharmacy system that is linked world-wide, etc, the only excuse for not having something ready is the people that work there didn't fill it in time. People will shop wherever they can get their prescription the fastest for the cheapest. Since most people have insurance, your co-pay will be the same no matter where you go, so it all comes down to wait time. So the question really is, Who can fill your prescription the fastest? Walgreens fills over 10 million prescriptions a month, how many do you think were filled on time?
"The preceding message was paid for by Walgreens."
Old July 15th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palolo Joe View Post
"The preceding message was paid for by Walgreens."
I second that notion. If Walgreen prescriptions fail to be delivered on time, it's the people who work at that location who is at fault. So, uhm.....doesn't that logic apply to Longs or Walmarts or Target or Sav-On or CVS or wherever else pharmacy?