Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Bishop Street
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old June 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Kings House Kings House is offline
Haumana
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 20
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

I've always shopped at Longs and I always will. I take my visitors from the Mainland there and they want to take Longs back with them
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:01 PM
arturo_h arturo_h is offline
Luna
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings House
I've always shopped at Longs and I always will. I take my visitors from the Mainland there and they want to take Longs back with them
I don't get it. They have Longs on the mainland also. Actually the first Longs store was in California. Should I assume that your visitors were from the East Coast or Midwest where there are no Longs stores, no?
Arturo
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old June 8th, 2006, 09:16 PM
Miulang Miulang is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,759
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo_h
I don't get it. They have Longs on the mainland also. Actually the first Longs store was in California. Should I assume that your visitors were from the East Coast or Midwest where there are no Longs stores, no?
Arturo
We didn't get Longs up here in the Northwest until Longs bought out Pay N Pack chain about 15 years ago. I go to Walgreens for convenience (there's one right down the street and seems to be one about every other block in my neighborhood, and some are open 24x7) but for real "shopping" I always make a trek to my local Longs.

There's one Longs Drugs up north that has a manager who comes from Hawai'i, and he stocks Zippy chili, mac nuts and stuff like that; the Longs Drugs closest to me must have a manager who comes from England because we get stuff like Marmite and weird jams and Scottish oatmeal.

I hear the Longs Drugs in the LV area has the same kinds of stuff the Longs in Hawai'i have...the crack seeds lidat.

Miulang
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:39 PM
arturo_h arturo_h is offline
Luna
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
There's one Longs Drugs up north that has a manager who comes from Hawai'i, and he stocks Zippy chili, mac nuts and stuff like that; Miulang
Are you kidding?! BTW Miulang, I'm here in Redmond doing an internship with Microsoft. Where's that Longs with the Zippy chili? I would LOVE to have some of that. It'll hold me back until I get back to Honolulu in August.
Arturo
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Miulang Miulang is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 8,759
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo_h
Are you kidding?! BTW Miulang, I'm here in Redmond doing an internship with Microsoft. Where's that Longs with the Zippy chili? I would LOVE to have some of that. It'll hold me back until I get back to Honolulu in August.
Arturo
Hey Arturo:
That Longs Drugs is in Lynnwood (3815 196th SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036
In the Alderwood Village Shopping Center...Mailing Center avail.
Store Phone: 425-775-8400).

You can also get Zippy chili and other local kind grines at Uwajimaya (for sure in the Seattle store down in the International District, dunno about the Bellevue store) or at Central Market (up on Aurora Ave in Shoreline). Uwajimaya is like Shirokiya on steroids. . There's an Aloha Plates take out place in the Uwajimaya food court, too.

There's an L&L near the Lynnwood Longs Drug too (in the strip mall that's on the corner of 196th sW and Highway 99 that has the Safeway Market in it...19709 Highway 99 North, Suite F&G
Lynnwood, WA 98036 Phone: (425) 771-7629).

You like fresh poke? Lei's Family Restaurant in Duvall (out to the East of Bothell) has fresh poke on weekends and the best mac salad I've found in this area.

There's a really good Indian buffet in Redmond (not too far from the main campus of Microsoft) called Kanishka that a lot of Bill's employees eat at. Good selection of food there and relatively inexpensive.

Let me know if you need info on more places to shop/eat. I've tried most of the larger local grind kine places in the Greater Seattle area.

Miulang
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old June 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM
arturo_h arturo_h is offline
Luna
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
Hey Arturo:
That Longs Drugs is in Lynnwood (3815 196th SW, Lynnwood, WA 98036
In the Alderwood Village Shopping Center...Mailing Center avail.
Store Phone: 425-775-8400).

You can also get Zippy chili and other local kind grines at Uwajimaya (for sure in the Seattle store down in the International District, dunno about the Bellevue store) or at Central Market (up on Aurora Ave in Shoreline). Uwajimaya is like Shirokiya on steroids. . There's an Aloha Plates take out place in the Uwajimaya food court, too.

There's an L&L near the Lynnwood Longs Drug too (in the strip mall that's on the corner of 196th sW and Highway 99 that has the Safeway Market in it...19709 Highway 99 North, Suite F&G
Lynnwood, WA 98036 Phone: (425) 771-7629).

You like fresh poke? Lei's Family Restaurant in Duvall (out to the East of Bothell) has fresh poke on weekends and the best mac salad I've found in this area.

There's a really good Indian buffet in Redmond (not too far from the main campus of Microsoft) called Kanishka that a lot of Bill's employees eat at. Good selection of food there and relatively inexpensive.

Let me know if you need info on more places to shop/eat. I've tried most of the larger local grind kine places in the Greater Seattle area.

Miulang
Awesome! That should be plenty for now. But I now know who to go to for local grinds! Thanks!
Arturo
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old June 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Leo Lakio Leo Lakio is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 9,558
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
I go to Walgreens for convenience (there's one right down the street and seems to be one about every other block in my neighborhood, and some are open 24x7) but for real "shopping" I always make a trek to my local Longs.
I wish I could convince myself to go to Walgreen's more often (the downtown Seattle one is half-a-block from my office), as my daughter is an employee (in the Midwest) --- but frankly, it can be a scary place sometimes (crowded narrow aisles, messed-up shelves, the charming downtown clientele), so I go to the regional Bartell's chain instead.
I haven't been in one of the area's Longs for quite a while, either.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old June 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM
gfunk91 gfunk91 is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

But sentimentality and loyalty goes only so far. And sometimes I translate the CHARLESTON code on Longs' price tags, and it's enough to get me across the lot to WalMart again. [/COLOR]

how do you interpret that code on their stickers? I know it tells you their cost...anyone help?

Last edited by gfunk91; June 14th, 2006 at 03:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:10 PM
arturo_h arturo_h is offline
Luna
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 113
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunk91
But sentimentality and loyalty goes only so far. And sometimes I translate the CHARLESTON code on Longs' price tags, and it's enough to get me across the lot to WalMart again. [/COLOR]

how do you interpret that code on their stickers? I know it tells you their cost...anyone help?
Each letter represents a number starting with 1. So 'C' is '1' and 'H' is '2' and so forth (and 'N' is '0'). So if the sticker shows CEO then the price would be $1.69. And this "price" is "cost + 10%" meaning whatever it costs for Longs to purchase the product plus 10%. It also represents the price of the product for employees.
Arturo
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:21 PM
craigwatanabe's Avatar
craigwatanabe craigwatanabe is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oahu now part of the traffic problem in lower Puna
Posts: 8,415
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

I rememeber the CHARLSTON code from back in my hana buddah days when even at six candy bars for 23-cents was a lot after translating the code on the Longs price sticker.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old August 16th, 2006, 01:06 PM
girlfire girlfire is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2
Send a message via AIM to girlfire
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

As a long time Walgreens Pharmacist and a local girl raised in Manoa Valle, transplanted to Washington, I would love to move home and stay with my parent company. One of the things that I can tell you is that we consistantly get transfers from the Longs here in Federal Way because of the lack of customer service. Customer service is a huge deal in the Walgreens corp. I think that Longs will always hold the people in Hawai'i just because they've always been there. But is doing something the same way forever just because "it's always been that way" make sense everytime? Besides, a little competition in the "smaller" drug store arena may force Longs to lower thier prices and to clean up thier attitudes in some stores. That makes it a win-win situation for all. Longs gets to keep/gain customers and everyone wins by getting lower prices and better customer service. Just my two cents anyway.....gotta go iron my lab coat and go to work......Mahalo
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old October 31st, 2006, 09:22 AM
azrakos azrakos is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe View Post
I rememeber the CHARLSTON code from back in my hana buddah days when even at six candy bars for 23-cents was a lot after translating the code on the Longs price sticker.
my 2 cents.

cent #1. Walgreens doesnt use charlston, but im not at liberty to disclose their true code.

cent #2. Walgreens will flourish because of mainland tourists. No longer will they have worry about getting their drugs before they leave. Walgreens can transfer your prescription instantly to any other Walgreens (except controlled substances that have been transferred once already).

Also, not being from Hawaii, does Longs accept insurance? Not only commercial insurance, but tricare and medicaid as well?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old December 1st, 2006, 04:04 AM
dbl_dbl's Avatar
dbl_dbl dbl_dbl is offline
Keiki
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 3
Send a message via AIM to dbl_dbl
Exclamation Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Aloha! De-lurking here, have been reading the threads here, would like to join the convo!

It looks like Walgreens have purchased the real estate of the former Tower Records locations. I'm sharing a recent posting over at the Tower Records thread, as someone beat me to it; Walgreens is coming to Hawaii.

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...1&postcount=89
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:14 AM
CranBeree's Avatar
CranBeree CranBeree is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 462
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrakos View Post
my 2 cents.

cent #1. Walgreens doesnt use charlston, but im not at liberty to disclose their true code.

cent #2. Walgreens will flourish because of mainland tourists. No longer will they have worry about getting their drugs before they leave. Walgreens can transfer your prescription instantly to any other Walgreens (except controlled substances that have been transferred once already).

Also, not being from Hawaii, does Longs accept insurance? Not only commercial insurance, but tricare and medicaid as well?

yes they do...is there a reason you would think that they didn't?
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old December 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM
mel's Avatar
mel mel is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii USA
Posts: 5,222
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

So will Walgreens just use the present buildings on Keeaumoku St. for their new store or will they tear them down and redevelop the property. It would be good sense for them to maybe also acquire the KFC property if they plan to build something new. Parking for Tower Records Keeaumoku has always been limited. Perhaps Walgreens like Tower may depend on the foot traffic coming and going from Ala Moana Center.
__________________
I'm still here. Are you?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
damontucker damontucker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,928
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Walgreens seems to be more of the "neighborhood" drug store...

The place where you walk to go get your prescription. I think with all the apartments and condo's in the area it's a good location and I don't think they will need much parking.

Have you seen the Walgreens in Downtown Vegas? I don't think there is a single stall!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old December 1st, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hellbent's Avatar
Hellbent Hellbent is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,042
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo_h View Post
Each letter represents a number starting with 1. So 'C' is '1' and 'H' is '2' and so forth (and 'N' is '0'). So if the sticker shows CEO then the price would be $1.69. And this "price" is "cost + 10%" meaning whatever it costs for Longs to purchase the product plus 10%. It also represents the price of the product for employees.
Arturo
X also represents repeat. I dont recall it being cost+10, I used to put the cost of the item. Markup of most items used to be 25%. This was enough to be competitive, but I guess with giant box stores like walmart its harder to be competitive, since Longs buys alot of its items from local vendors.
(If you dont have a retail background, this means that walmart buys in massive quantities or makes things and ships to all its stores while buying from a local vendor means that youre buying from middlemen)
__________________
Aquaponics in Paradise !
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:05 PM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
Walgreens seems to be more of the "neighborhood" drug store...
There is no hotel or housing for at least a bock. There is some housing on the other side of Wal-mart, but not much. I don't think there's any sustainable levels of housing until you get at least 3 blocks away. On the other hand, Wal-mart is across the street and Longs is in the shopping center.

I just don't see this location as being all that good for them.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 12:40 AM
joshuatree joshuatree is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,824
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such. I think they will do fine, especially if they have late nite hours for people who need to hit a pharmacy. As for parking, guess they could build a multi level structure to increase parking. I don't see them using the existing structure because it's too small, not to mention Tower Records and Video were in two separate buildings. My only question would be is if they bought out KFC or have worked out a deal to co-develop the plot so they both can increase their parking.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:53 AM
cynsaligia's Avatar
cynsaligia cynsaligia is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: living in sin in kaimuki w/mixedplatebroker
Posts: 1,715
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGeek View Post
There is no hotel or housing for at least a bock. There is some housing on the other side of Wal-mart, but not much. I don't think there's any sustainable levels of housing until you get at least 3 blocks away. On the other hand, Wal-mart is across the street and Longs is in the shopping center.

I just don't see this location as being all that good for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such. I think they will do fine, especially if they have late nite hours for people who need to hit a pharmacy.
i live in makiki, and let me tell you, i don't go to either long's at AMC or walmart for pharmaceutical needs at all. AMC long's is too crowded and if you unwisely drop your prescription off at the counter, you usually have to wait an hour or maybe two for it to be filled. walmart always has this tense vibe about it (prolly bcs of the pissed off iwi in the trailer) so i don't go there unless it has something long's doesn't have or walmart's price is waaaay cheaper. besides, walmart's shelves are poorly stocked and a good quarter of the time. they don't have the specific shampoo, soap, razor, or facial care product i want so what do i end up doing? i drive to long's moiliili.

soooo...a walgreen's on that corner will be something i'd welcome. i'd say that many of the other 29,699 odd of my neighbors who also live in makiki would likely agree.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:14 AM
GeckoGeek's Avatar
GeckoGeek GeckoGeek is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 3,043
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
What do you mean? There's like residential condos a block away behind First Hawaiian Bank and such.
Ah, yes. There is. Although I think they are probably closer to Don Quote(sp?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuatree View Post
As for parking, guess they could build a multi level structure to increase parking.
Well, the question is, what exactly is going on. All I can find out is that Walgreens is going to pick up the lease, but what is the lease? Just the land or are they leasing the buildings? That's going to limit what they can do.

Last edited by GeckoGeek; December 3rd, 2006 at 05:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 05:45 AM
Kalihiboy's Avatar
Kalihiboy Kalihiboy is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,762
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

KFC did a major renovation last year I cannot imagine them selling, but anything is possible.

Didnt Tower Records used to be located across the street where Walmart now sits? If so, when did the original Tower Records open up and when did it move to the present location? Lastly what existed before Tower Records moved there?

KalihiBoy
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:07 PM
tutusue's Avatar
tutusue tutusue is offline
Ali`i
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wah-key'-key
Posts: 10,390
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericncyn View Post
[...]soooo...a walgreen's on that corner will be something i'd welcome. i'd say that many of the other 29,699 odd of my neighbors who also live in makiki would likely agree.
I like to kill 2 birds with one stone so take my Rx's to Safeway Makiki and grocery shop while it's being filled. Otherwise, when at home, it's Long's Waianae! I can't imagine Waianae will eventually get a Walgreen but I'll guess Kapolei might.

I doubt I'll have a reason to enter a Walgreens. Have yet to enter Sams Club/Walmart on Keeaumoku!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old December 3rd, 2006, 04:47 PM
i-hungry i-hungry is offline
Kia`aina
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Honolulu
Posts: 345
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy View Post
Didnt Tower Records used to be located across the street where Walmart now sits? If so, when did the original Tower Records open up and when did it move to the present location? Lastly what existed before Tower Records moved there?
That was a long time ago. Not sure on specific year but I think Towers moved across Keeaumoku around 1990?

If I remember right, the video portion of the store moved first then the record section.

I forget what was the previous business at the existing Towers store.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old December 15th, 2006, 12:47 AM
DannyWilliams's Avatar
DannyWilliams DannyWilliams is offline
Kumu
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SF Bay Area, CA
Posts: 638
Default Re: Walgreens in Hawaii?

Towers used to be at a different location?!?!?
Unless they were b4 their soon to be ex-location I know they have been there since 1982 cuz I rememba the 45 singles on VINYL they used to stock b foa it got kicked to the curb with cassette singles and CD's

Now I am reading that STAR MARKETS is folding and giving WALGREENS their Kaneohe location to them when they go bye bye


Well I am not particular on whos the better one in reference to WALGREENS and LONGS DRUGS.......

Since there is soooooooooooooo many WALGREENS where I am at I go to them...
The Longs Drugs here is not anything like back home which I kinda miss
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
big island, life in hawaii, maui, oahu, shopping

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

  Partner Sites: Hawaii Blog Hawaii News Hawaii Grinds Hawaii Social Media  
    Blogging the Aloha State. The Hawaii Star. Hawaii Food Blog. The story of Aloha 2.0.