Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television Memories
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

Also shown on Checkers & Pogo were "The Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlett & the Mysterons".
Old March 16th, 2008, 11:12 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel View Post
Also shown on Checkers & Pogo were "The Thunderbirds" and "Captain Scarlett & the Mysterons".
Yup, I used to like Thunderbirds. Scarlett creeped me out a bit, but I still watched a few.

I was singing the Gumby and Pokey commercial to myself the other day and remembered that was also on Checkers & Pogo.

We like Gumby
We like Pokey
We like Gumby
We like Pokey
Gumby
Pokey
Gumby
Pokey

Kids are singing the jingle as they climb up a playground rocket made of bars and bend the rubber Gumby and Pokey toys onto one of the bars.
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Gumby & Pokey's nemesis were The Blockheads in the Jeep.
Old May 13th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Wasn't there another Japanese animation series on Checkers and Pogo about a girl who was secretly a princess but dressed as a boy because she had swordfighting skills?
The series in question is called Princess Knight. Here is the IMDb entry as well as the Wikipedia entry.

The reason why she dressed as a boy was not because of her sword fighting skills, it was because the kingdom she lived in, only the male side of the family could only rule the land.
Old May 14th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Ali`i

There's Ginger or Maryanne. How about Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck?
I always rooted for Daffy Duck when they battle each other. Bugs Bunny was the smart kid who always won with a smirk on his face like Ferris Bueller. I'm a Daffy backer because he was less talented, a grinder, gritty, and gutty and was more serious in his one on one challenge against Bugs Bunny.
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie's Market View Post
Pretty good list. But don't forget the Looney Tunes/Merry Melodies shorts. While many cartoons entered and exited C&P's programming rotation, these classic WB cartoons were a constant staple. Since the C&P show aired before the age of political correctness, they even showed titles which have been shunned by the likes of Cartoon Network/Nickelodeon due to racial stereotypes, like Bugs Bunny Nips The Nips and Tokio Jokio. (When I look back on it now, I'm kinda surprised that KGMB allowed young, impressionable kids to be exposed to all that outdated World War II propaganda.)

Other favorites included Max, the 2000 year old mouse. (Lots of historical information in that one.) Also, the Marvel Comics cartoons from the 1960s. (Spider Man, Iron Man, Captain America, Incredible Hulk, Mighty Thor, and the Submariner.)
Did any of these cartoons had a group called MAD, which stood for Maladjusted, Anti-Social, and Darn Mean?
Old June 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
Did any of these cartoons had a group called MAD
Those were the bad guys from Tom of T.H.U.M.B.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Those were the bad guys from Tom of T.H.U.M.B.
I enjoyed Tom of T.H.U.M.B., King Kong, Tennessee Tuxedo as a kid and much to my delight my two young boys like watching the same cartoons I watched as a kid. In fact if you buy the King Kong DVD cartoon the Tom of T.H.U.M.B. is included.

Aj
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Ali`i

Because originally that's how the two cartoons were packaged. Tom of T.H.U.M.B. was sandwiched between two King Kong cartoons in one half hour episode.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Because originally that's how the two cartoons were packaged. Tom of T.H.U.M.B. was sandwiched between two King Kong cartoons in one half hour episode.
I agree. That is how I remembered them. Voice of King Kong's friend I believe was the same voice of Rankin Bass' version of Rudolph. I think they were Rankin Bass Productions.

Aj
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:25 AM
Kia`aina

Thanks for the heads up on the Tom of T.H.U.M.B. DVD. Got the George Of the Jungle/Super Chicken/Tom Slick DVD set and the Milton The Monster/Fearless Fly set. Can't believe how much I remember from these shows.
Old June 10th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Ali`i

Was The Three Stooges shorts in the "Checkers and Pogo" show?

When you're a small kid, you took the characters seriously, and they seemed to lose in every episode. I couldn't watch the Peanuts specials because Charlie Brown always came out with the short end of the stick except for the Christmas special. In that one, the Peanuts gang took Charlie Brown's runt tree and remodel it into a winning Christmas tree.
As an older kid, the guys you hang with had "the Moe one, the Larry One, and the Curly one." Those guys might have hit too close to home with their pecking order during your insecure teen years.
Then when you got to be college age and older, you could really enjoy the humor of The Three Stooges especially after consuming mass quantities of beer.
Old June 16th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Ali`i

In honor of father's day, dad gets a gift bag from his kids. For some reason in the depts of my memory, I remember Superspy going through his gift bag. One of those goodies in which he showed to the camera was skunk soap. And he said that "skunk soap would make you kusai." To a small kid, that's what I'm talkin' about the jokes I wanna hear.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
Kanaka

One year in December during the late 60's or early 70's KGMB announced that they were bringing in snow to Hawaii. Kids of all ages were invited to come down to the studio one evening and play in the snow after trucks had it delivered to the KGMB front lawn. Not sure if it was a Checkers and Pogo thing but I'm sure they helped advertise for the event. My parents brought us down to play in it for as long as it lasted.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:00 PM

There was a lawn in front of KGMB TV's studio?
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM
Kanaka

Lawn or a large patch of grass somewhere near the front as I recall. Somewhere in that general area.....
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlCityMike View Post
Lawn or a large patch of grass somewhere near the front as I recall. Somewhere in that general area.....
Was it like the artificial turf lawn on The Brady Bunch?

Last edited by Walkoff Balk; June 24th, 2008 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add
Old June 30th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Ali`i

For you Hawaii 5-0 fans with the season 4 DVD set, quick. Take out disc 5 and watch the episode "While You're At It, Bring In The Moon." You'll see Professor Fun (aka Fred Ball) making a couple of brief appearances as a nosy reporter. And guess what he's wearing?

A Checkers & Pogo Aloha shirt.

Fred's wearing a blue pattern. I had one with a brown pattern. Many sizes ago, of course.
Old June 30th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Ali`i

Quote:

Fred's wearing a blue pattern. I had one with a brown pattern. Many sizes ago, of course.
Who else still has that inside out Aloha shirt at their parents home?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 03:07 AM
Kia`aina

R.I.P. Cleo The Hippo

Sad to see the passing of the animal that was responsible for one of the most dramatic and traumatic (for a little kid) moments on "On The Go" when she attacked the KGMB cameraman while trying to protect her young baby.

Cleo the hippo dies at Honolulu Zoo

One of Honolulu Zoo's oldest animals has died.

Cleopatra, known as Cleo, was the second oldest hippopotamus in captivity in the U.S.

A zoo veterinarian put her to sleep on Saturday because she was suffering from growing complications of old age.

The 3,500-pound hippo could no longer stand on her own.

She was just a few weeks shy of her 53rd birthday.

Cleo will be sent to a university lab for research and study.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 04:57 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
R.I.P. Cleo The Hippo

Sad to see the passing of the animal that was responsible for one of the most dramatic and traumatic (for a little kid) moments on "On The Go" when she attacked the KGMB cameraman while trying to protect her young baby.
Sad news indeed.

Cleo coming to the rescue for her baby was obviously the highlight of that On The Go episode. But I believe they also filmed footage of another longtime and much beloved resident of Honolulu Zoo, Empress the elephant. At the time she passed away, I believe that Empress was the longest living elephant in captivity.
Old September 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
R.I.P. Cleo The Hippo

Cleo will be sent to a university lab for research and study.
========================

The story behind the story....
http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/9988/40/
Old September 24th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Ali`i

Kudos to KGMB for recognizing their association with the late hippo and getting the cameraman and Arnone on the phone yesterday for a new update.

Aj
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Kanaka

Quote:
For you Hawaii 5-0 fans with the season 4 DVD set, quick. Take out disc 5 and watch the episode "While You're At It, Bring In The Moon." You'll see Professor Fun (aka Fred Ball) making a couple of brief appearances as a nosy reporter. And guess what he's wearing?

I just noticed that tonight as I was watching the same episode.

GOPF (Good Old Professor Fun)
Old September 4th, 2010, 03:08 AM

This bumps this topic. Morgan White who played Pogo Poge died in Provo, Utah. Besides playing Pogo on "Checkers & Pogo" on KGMB TV, he also did radio at the same station when it was also called KGMB (today KSSK). He worked for Cec Heftel for most of the time.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/Global/...asp?S=13100888

There is another thread about White on the board, but if you want to discuss Checkers & Pogo this is the thread to continue.