Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Hawaii Media > Hawaii Television Memories
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ali`i

Default Checkers and Pogo

Totally random thought lol.

Anyone remember this show? BONUS: Anyone been to the taping of the show as a kid? *raises hand* haha
Old May 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Checkers and Pogo

I just came across a autographed picture from Checkers & Pogo that my wife received at a tv taping. If anyone out there has complete shows on tape please drop me a line, hopefully with old KGMB ads and promos still intact as well. Considering that the show didnt leave the airwaves until 1982 I'm shocked that some people dont have those vhs or beta tapes sitting in an attic or something. I'd buy the tapes from anyone if they are offering or borrow them if I could.

Mahalo!!!

KalihiBoy
Old May 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Kia`aina

What I'd pay to see an episode of "On The Go".......

The hippo.....or the men in their flying machines....or the bread making at Love's.....or the glass blower.......or the underground water tunnels.......or the BARN at the zoo........

I never quite enjoyed the painting one though.

Anyone else remember these?
Old May 11th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Kia`aina

Wow, the memories. By the way, I'm celebrating an Merry Unbirthday today. Where's the jar of pennies?
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Ali`i

Checkers & Pogo???....
Dang!. I sure miss those guys! They were pretty funny!.
What happened to those 2 after they were taken off of the airwaves?
Did they pass away? if so when & from what?.

I remembered seeing them on the road driving pass by my aunty's car while I was in the back seat with my cousin, when I was a young kid. When we got home, I was so excited that I saw them next to us on the road. LOL.

Thanks for the memories.

Aloha.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Ali`i

Three different people played "Checkers" and I know one of them passed away about a couple of years ago.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Ali`i

i loved that show...i never appeared on the show, but because by dad was in tv production at the time, i often got to visit the set...i distinctly remember asking to be a part of a cream pie in the face gag...and how about that groovy convertible they used to bomb around town in? that was a seriously hip ride!
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub
i loved that show...i never appeared on the show, but because by dad was in tv production at the time, i often got to visit the set...i distinctly remember asking to be a part of a cream pie in the face gag...and how about that groovy convertible they used to bomb around town in? that was a seriously hip ride!
Yeah, their convertible was pretty groovy!.

What did became of their car? was it auctioned off? sold?
or what??
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:14 PM
Ali`i

good question...i'd buy it in a heartbeat...a perfect monstrosity, a checkered behemoth of an anachronism, guzzling gas at 5 miles per gallon and belching exhaust into the air...now THAT'S a weekend drive! imagineprking a machine like that at ala moana during the holiday shopping season...i'd bet that driving that car was one of c&p's favorite perks...
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:38 PM
Ali`i

I wouldn't be caught dead in that car. Wasn't it a Galaxy 500 or something like that?

Anyway back then I remember people throwing stuff at that car...I guess from disgruntled kids who never got picked to go on the show or who lost in the many games they played.

Wasn't the car painted a green and white checkerboard pattern? Or was it black and white. Geez I'm getting old.
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Kumu

Sure do!! I was on their show one afternoon.....me and the rest of the troop of Girl Scouts!!

Hey, remember the Professor?!
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
I wouldn't be caught dead in that car. Wasn't it a Galaxy 500 or something like that?
Nope, I'm sure you wouldn't want to be.

Quote:
Anyway back then I remember people throwing stuff at that car...I guess from disgruntled kids who never got picked to go on the show or who lost in the many games they played.

Quote:
Wasn't the car painted a green and white checkerboard pattern? Or was it black and white. Geez I'm getting old.
I'm kind of getting old myself, in remembering then.
I think it was black & white checkerboard.
Old May 13th, 2005, 03:54 AM
Ali`i

Cool got some other old kids on this board Yeah I went twice with my den of Cub Scout brothers. Can anyone name the classic cartoons they used to show? I still remember Clutch Cargo only because I thought it was kinda creepy hehe. Speed Racer was my fave.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne
Cool got some other old kids on this board Yeah I went twice with my den of Cub Scout brothers. Can anyone name the classic cartoons they used to show? I still remember Clutch Cargo only because I thought it was kinda creepy hehe. Speed Racer was my fave.
Speed Racer, was also my fave. I think because I thought the animated cartoon :
Speed Racer was cute.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:55 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastTropics
Sure do!! I was on their show one afternoon.....me and the rest of the troop of Girl Scouts!!

Hey, remember the Professor?!
You know, I think I missed that part.
Either that, or I'm just getting old myself, any way.LOL.

I hope someone here remembers that.

Aloha.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:58 AM
Ali`i

I remember some of the cartoons Checkers & Pogo used to show that will probably never make it to reruns on Cartoon Network. Luno the Magic Horse, Hercules the Rabbit and his Guided Muscle, Tom of T.H.U.M.B., Milton the Monster, and Fearless Fly. Fearless Fly had these villains, the evil Doctor Goo Fee and his buck-toothed assistant Gung Ho. Try showing something that racially stereotyped on TV today!
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Ali`i

Professor as in Professor Fun. He would come in once a week to make balloon animals, maybe a magic trick. He might have filled in for either Checkers or Pogo at a time. Then in the early 1980's he would do a TV spot called TV Pow or something like that (I can't remember if another thread here in Hawaiithreads or HawaiiStories discusses about Professor Fun).

And then you have the other supporting cast of characters like the arch nemesis Super Spy McPig or the station owner's nephew Sonny Heftel who came across as the pain in the rear end to Checkers and Pogo. I also remember a bunch of other characters that had the last name of McPig but they wasn't as frequent as Super Spy.

For the cartoons, the usual mix of Popeye and Warner Bros cartoons. They also had Captain Scarlet and Thunderbirds puppet series. I remember a cartoon series called Priceness Knight and Giantor.

Some years they had a running storyline for the show in between the cartoons and games for the kids.
Old May 13th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Ali`i

Exclamation Re: Checkers and Pogo

Great list of cartoons I can name a couple more... I wanna see if anyone comes up with them. I recently watched Speed Racer (I think it was on the Speed Channel or maybe Cartoon Network) and Thunderbirds (original not the recent movie) on SciFi Channel. I remember Professor Fun and Super Spy too... "Springtime for SuperSpy and Pigstyvaniaaaaaaaaah!" lol Also Merry Unbirthday and On the Go...thanks for the memory jog.

They gotta have this series archived huh? They should show reruns.

Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle.
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to Surfingfarmboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalihiboy
I'm shocked that some people dont have those vhs or beta tapes sitting in an attic or something. I'd buy the tapes from anyone if they are offering or borrow them if I could.

Mahalo!!!

KalihiBoy
Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

Checkers and Pogo tape
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:09 PM
Ali`i

Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle:

The Exchange orangade commercial sung by the Termites!!!!

The Exchange goes round round round in you ummm la de da...
Old May 13th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Kumu

Checkers & Pogo absolutely rocked. I was always bummed as a kid growing up on Maui since I had no hope whatsoever of ever being on the show. Although my sisters (who grew up in Kailua) got to be on. I recall once visiting my grandparents in Honolulu when I was like, five or six, and riding TheBus to Ala Moana (which in and of itself was a wild experience for a kid from Maui) and looking out the window and seeing Checkers drive by in the Checkermobile. I recall it vividly to this day. And they were black and white checkers. I too, would kill to have that car. Maybe it's in the Smithsonian?

Did they also show Beanie and Cecil, Super Chicken, and Deputy Dawg?

I always felt the Saturday morning edition was a bit wistful, Pogo, usually solo, in a constantly repeated battle with various beach equipment and plastic TeeVees that never worked (or is that just generally what happened in all episodes?).
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:25 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
Here's another trivia question: What was the brand of the orange juice that C&P always plugged? BONUS: Sing first line of the jingle:

The Exchange orangade commercial sung by the Termites!!!!

The Exchange goes round round round in you ummm la de da...
...and the virtual Hostess Brownie goes to Craig and also, for naming the singing group (which I didn't even know), he gets a $2 gift certificate redeemable at any Wigwam store!

re: cartoons ... Beanie and Cecil and Super Chicken were the ones I was thinking of too .
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:42 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfingfarmboy
Would this be of any interest to you or is this a tape that nearly everyone interested in the show probably has a copy of?

Checkers and Pogo tape
I saw that reran on KGMB a few times, for whatever reason perhaps to conserve space or tape KGMB didnt save hardly any of the shows, I think I was told they might only have a couple complete shows and fragments of some other shows that is it for a show that ran for 15 years on a daily basis right? Its a shame.

That is why I was hoping SOMEONE out there would have tapes of the show lying around in the attic or something, but so far I've been looking for almost 10 years without any luck.

I've also been on the lookout for beta and vhs tapes from the 1970's and early 80's looking for ANYTHING taped off of local tv it could include network tv shows, only catch is that the local ads remain intact. If ANYONE has stuff like that please let me know. I already have some stuff with Bob Sevey, some shows taped off of KITV circa 1982-1985, but looking for alot more stuff.

Thanks! KalihiBoy
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by cezanne

re: cartoons ... Beanie and Cecil and Super Chicken were the ones I was thinking of too .
And your obedient serpent is: a Bob Clampett cartoo-oooooooooooon!

Also can't forget Tom Slick ! Rented a Super Chicken/Tom Slick combo tape from Blockbuster a few years ago, but couldn't find on amazon.com
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Ali`i

You should look for George of Jungle. Super Chicken and Tom Slick were part of that cartoon series.