Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Kaukau Korner
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Char siu manapua preferences
Steamed 38 59.38%
Baked 7 10.94%
Bi-manapua (50%/50%) 2 3.13%
Bi-manapua but prefer steamed 3 4.69%
Bi-manapua but prefer baked 6 9.38%
Not sure but buy both of them to test out 1 1.56%
Not really sure, need further testing, buy 2-3 each 5 7.81%
Where the Spam Musubi poll? 2 3.13%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:10 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

You haven't eaten pork hash until you've eaten at Libby's on Kalihi street! Their half moon is tasty but the pork hash is the bestest of the bestest!

The sad part is that here on the Big Island, the best dim sum comes from your friendly 7-Eleven! Amazing. I was at the Pahoa 7-Eleven and saw their little heated display of Dim Sum. The pork hash tasted like pork trash but their manapua was pretty decent considering the store it was in. Not as good as Chinatown or Kalihi but better than anything else here.

If there's one thing I miss about Honolulu...it's Libby's Manapua! Oh and CompUSA, Circuit City, Zippy's and the host of electronic supply stores like Precision Radio, Honolulu Electronics and Electrical Equipment.
Old May 26th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Kia`aina

Talking Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

I just bought $85 worth of assorted manapua from Island Manapua Factory in Kalihi for my Air Force troops. It was their first breakfast manapua run! lol So all da haole boys and girls seemed to lean toward the baked char siu manapua and the new baked breakfast manapua which had scrambled eggs and portuguese sausage. We had steamed/baked char siu, pork hash, half moon, hot dog manapua, curry chicken manapua, chili and cheese manapua, egg rolls (lumpia) and the breakfast manapua. Should hold the troops up til after lunch! It's my job to introduce the local foods to these haole kids. They dunno what they're missing! lol

Old May 27th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Kumu

Steamed with char siu for me as well. I never got a liking for the baked kind. It doesn't taste like manapua to me. It just tastes like bread stuffed with char siu, like one hot pocket. I'm set in my ways. Manapua "purist" so to say.
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Kanaka

Smile Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

I never had a good char siu bow yet here (and am from SF). fwiw I prefer the baked kine (since plenty places gyp you on the steam ones mostly dough only no filling!), some places brush the top lightly with sweet sugary coating, and the pork inside is not bright pink colored and has a great sauce. ono!

the bow I had the other day was baked but flaky/crumbly bread like some kind of muffin with the strange colored meat and no sauce. terrible. will keep trying different places till find the right one. fwiw best place for dim sum I ever been is called Yank Sing in SF. killer dishes and cart to table service. "ha gow! siu mai!" the best bow come from this place on Broadway St. x Stockton though forget the name. no go around the corner place they let their cat roam free on the counters and food prep areas /wtf

pork hash, you talking bout siu mai ("little drum" dim sums) or the hash "patties" (oh so good on top of rice with scramble eggs etc)

anyone know where makes good hong kong style noodles? dry fried kine. craving some tomato-beef jin mein!
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Kanaka

Yank Sing goodies!

these have taro like mashed root inside, forget what maybe is chinese taro. outside so crispy. pour on some soy sauce and grindage

siu mai

roast duck roll your own bow w/hoisin - not just for banquets!
Old May 29th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Kanaka

it would appear today's sunday food section has answered my prayer for a good dim sum place also found out a neighbor has connection for two restaurants - won't have to suffer my own cooking for long
Old July 19th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Ali`i

I love this photo.
Old July 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkah
I love this photo.
i lovem too!!! who goin manapua run??!! raise yo hand??!!!
Recipe Tube TV!
Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!
Old July 27th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
eh, if you like make your own (and you get time now dat you retired, yeah Craig? ), go to Alohaworld and Ono Recipes. Go look foa "Miulang's Manapua". I took that to a recent Ohanalanai gathering and everybody there said it was da bess manapua dey ever ate (da secret is da sesame oil in da dough).

Ooooh, now you make me all hungry for grine manapua! Maybe gotta go home and go make some later on....

Miulang
As one of da lucky ones who wen get to grind Miulang's manapua last Satahday at da gathering, I can attest to da fact dat it was da best manapua I evah wen grine. Perfect size, onolicious flavah... I wish I wen grine moah, but nomo room in da ōpū!
Old July 27th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokihana
As one of da lucky ones who wen get to grind Miulang's manapua last Satahday at da gathering, I can attest to da fact dat it was da best manapua I evah wen grine. Perfect size, onolicious flavah... I wish I wen grine moah, but nomo room in da ōpū!
<Sigh> So now I gotta Fedex some manapua to Lurkah and you? His I guess I can hand carry to Vegas in Sept. and give to him there, but yours going be harder to get to you unless you can wait until me and Panzo holoholo kaa down your side sometime.

Mahalos,
Miulang
Old July 28th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Kia`aina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang
<Sigh> So now I gotta Fedex some manapua to Lurkah and you? His I guess I can hand carry to Vegas in Sept. and give to him there, but yours going be harder to get to you unless you can wait until me and Panzo holoholo kaa down your side sometime.

Mahalos,
Miulang
Well.... oa wen we holoholo ka‘ up yoah way sometime.... OA: how long it wen take u foah make um? We stay talking all day long?
OA: U could gimme mines ones to me firss an DEN to Lurkah!!
Old August 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Ali`i

Libby's tops my list (Kalihi st.,, 2 blocks makai of Chun Wah Kam). Plain and simple steamed charsiu manapua with Pork Hash. Das' it!

2nd to that would be Char Hung Sut.

One poster here said they don't eat Manapua because of the "mystery meat" factor. Speaking of which, I heard Libby's (my favorite) uses canned corned beef in their charsiu filling.. but I doubt that's true.. tell me it's not true! lol
Old June 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Ali`i

Default Island Manapua Factory

As reported in today's Honolulu Advertiser...
Island Manapua in Honolulu sold
Quote:
Lee announced the sale of Island Manapua's production factory/retail outlet and fee-simple property at 811 Gulick Ave. in Kalihi, as well as its retail outlet at Manoa Marketplace, to Dragon Pacific Investment, owners of Regal Diner at McCully Shopping Center.
The new owners don't plan any major changes to the currently profitable business.

Here's a set of IMF's steamed and very popular baked varieties...

Island Manapua Factory - Baked and Steamed Manapua

Speaking of which, I have yet to try Kwong On, a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant on Waialae ave.. I understand they have really ono baked and steamed Manapua, and last I checked (a few months ago by phone), they were just 65 cents each, making them the best deal in town. Anyone been there?
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Ali`i

I'll take Baked with Char Siu Pork...but I like Chicken kine too...they have it here at 99 Ranch.Steam it, then bake it, throw on some Plum sauce. ONO.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Ali`i

my first and only love in terms of manapua is libby's. i, too, am a purist and prefer steamed pork manapua where the meat is red inside and the dough is fluffy, white and moist outside. i could live happily ever after if i never tasted any other kind of manapua, i'm pretty sure. i've tried all kinds of non-red pork manapua and i was always left with the wistful feeling that i should have ordered the usual.

i do like char hung sut but if i do go there it's mostly cause i want their ma tai tsu (sp?) which is about the same size as a pork hash but has a flakier dough and is filled with shrimp (i think) and water chestnuts (i'm pretty sure) and pork (i think).

kwong on has the best BAKED manapua, tho. course, i may be prejudiced bcs i associate their baked manapua with the second meal eric and i had together, back when we were merely dating. *sigh*

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Kia`aina

Send a message via AIM to sophielynette

Ah, that's manapua! Not five minutes after I arrived in Honolulu my Aunt stopped at the 7/11 and made me eat some. I was a bit jetlagged and disoriented, I don't think it quite dawned on me other than the fact that, "Whoa, chinese food in a gas station.." I had the steamed char sui, I believe. Good stuff, that.

Now where to get some in Ohio at 2 in the morning..
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Luna

Kwong On in Kaimuki was cited several times by the Health Dept if I recall. They do have one of the best sesame candies I've tasted tho - not too sweet, not too sticky.

I, too, favor the traditional steamed charsiu manapua. For me it has to be from Char Hung Sut. Their half-moons are great but for ma tai tsu (sp?) I prefer Royal Kitchen...flaky crust, contents not too sweet. Yummm!
Old June 28th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Ali`i

What the hell is bi-manapua? You steam it then bake it (or vice versa)?

I like both but prefer baked. Can't stand trying to remove the paper on the bottom (I tend to rip the bottom of the manapua, spilling the filling out).
Old June 28th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Kia`aina

I like the traditional cha siu bao served at dim sum. Its the right ratio and portion of bun and meat. The bigger manapua has too much bun.
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Ali`i

i never had to buy manapua til my mom passed away. she was making custom manapua long before these other places were. i was the happy guinea pig who got to try her ham and cheese, pizza (portugese sausage or pepperoni, cheese, and ragu), and chicken and shiitake creations 10 years ago.
also, i prefer steamed with real pieces of char siu, not the shredded cat kind.
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Ali`i

Default Please send me Manapua!

duplicate post

Last edited by Pomai; June 28th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Fill my eyes with that double vision
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Ali`i

Default Please send me Manapua!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miulang View Post
<Sigh> So now I gotta Fedex some manapua
Hawaii expats on the mainland who visit my blog often ask who or where they can get manapua shipped from. So I called Libby's and inquired about that. In the end, it will cost over $60 for 1 dozen, which involves calling them by phone and placing the order, to which you then must mail a physical check or money order (They don't accept credit cards). Upon reciept of payment, they then ship it out via FedEx, frozen with dry ice.

Zippys.com ships out 1 dozen Charsiu Manapua for $25.90 and also a 'care pack' that includes 12 pcs of Pork Hash, 6 pcs of Char Siu Pork Manapua, and a Fried Noodle Kit for $37.75. I think shipping is additional, so even that might end up around $50+ out the door.

Ouch.

So you folks on the mainland, you might wanna' look up some good home-made recipes for manapua if you have the craving. I understand it's not that difficult. Some simply use the frozen, premade Pillsbury dinner roll dough.

ploal5333, thanks for the tip on Kwong On. Health dept, shmealth dept... sometimes those "cockaroach" places get da' best grindz!
Old June 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Luna

Talking Re: Da HawaiiThreads Manapua Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutChaos View Post
I don't eat beef or pork; got any recommendations for places that make good NON-beef/pork manapua on Oahu?

There's da black shuga manapua. I don't think dats da "correct" name but its what I've always called it. I like Chun Wah Kam's, couple of doors down from Shiro's Saimin, da malasadas place & Zippys. As Aiea, right? I've lived mainland way too long.

\\000// Malama Pono \\000//
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random View Post
What the hell is bi-manapua? You steam it then bake it (or vice versa)?
Bi-manapua is someone who doesn't care if the manapua available is either streamed or baked, they will eat it.

Quote:
I like both but prefer baked. Can't stand trying to remove the paper on the bottom (I tend to rip the bottom of the manapua, spilling the filling out).
The Bi-manapua with a preference would be a person having a choice or if they brought an odd number of manapua, the preferred one would be more than the other. For example a bi-manapua with a baked preferred who brought 5 manapua would buy 2 steamed and 3 baked manapua.
Old June 29th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by helen View Post
Bi-manapua is someone who doesn't care if the manapua available is either streamed or baked, they will eat it..
I guess you can say I'm straight then. I'm not racist, either. I just prefer my steamy buns white.