Go Back   HawaiiThreads.com > Ka Nohona > Mixed Plate
FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Search Latest Posts Mark Forums Read

Old August 19th, 2004, 03:04 AM
Ali`i

Send a message via AIM to scrivener Send a message via Yahoo to scrivener
Cool First Kolea

I saw my first kolea of the season this morning--he was hanging out on the front lawn of the Valkenburgh fire station, near Moanalua Shopping Center and Holy Family School. Saw two more later the same morning.

Where'd you see your first kolea this fall?
Old August 19th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: First Kolea

Wow, that was fast! I guess the Alaskan summer must be over already. I haven't seen any kolea this season yet.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Ali`i

what is a Kolea? I've seen some okoles, some sweet some pretty raunchy, but I'm not sure about Kolea's.
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Ali`i

Smile Re: First Kolea

Kolea is the Hawaiian name for the Pacific Golden Plover (which is a very cool name, if you ask me). The picture I'm attaching is borrowed and modified from http://www.hawaii.edu/environment/bi...ingPlumage.jpg.

You can get acquainted with them at http://www.hawaiinaturecenter.org/kolea/ .

I love these birds. The stilt-like legs, the oddly shaped body, the territorial-ness, and the solitude all appeal to me for some reason. And then the migration! "Well, I guess it's time to go to Alaska," I imagine them thinking. Such a strange, strange thing, for a bird to fly from Alaska to Hawaii and back every year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kolea.jpg (12.7 KB, 197 views)
Old August 22nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
Ali`i

Seen one today about a block from Queen Street.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 05:18 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrivener
Kolea is the Hawaiian name for the Pacific Golden Plover (which is a very cool name, if you ask me). The picture I'm attaching is borrowed and modified from http://www.hawaii.edu/environment/bi...ingPlumage.jpg.

You can get acquainted with them at http://www.hawaiinaturecenter.org/kolea/ .

I love these birds. The stilt-like legs, the oddly shaped body, the territorial-ness, and the solitude all appeal to me for some reason. And then the migration! "Well, I guess it's time to go to Alaska," I imagine them thinking. Such a strange, strange thing, for a bird to fly from Alaska to Hawaii and back every year.
That's not strange at all! My parents fly from Hawaii to Las Vegas TWICE every year! AND BOY ARE THEIR ARMS TIRED!
Old August 22nd, 2004, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwatanabe
My parents fly from Hawaii to Las Vegas TWICE every year! AND BOY ARE THEIR ARMS TIRED!

Ha ha ha ha! Too funny.

Now I have to ask, is it from the one arm bandit or just flapping their arms over 2,000 + miles of water?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:18 AM
Ali`i

Silly you Mel what do you think! Of course it's from the flapping!
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Ali`i

Ho, get plenty now on the Honolulu Hale lawn. I counted at least six while I was just passing through there. The plumage is still dull, though. When do they get the spiffy black-white-and-golden racing stripes?
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Miyashiro
The plumage is still dull, though. When do they get the spiffy black-white-and-golden racing stripes?
As I recall, the plumage changes just before they're ready to fly back to Alaska.
And apparently the kolea are territorial. There's one here on our property in Kaneohe that's missing its right foot; that same bird has been here every year for over 5 years now.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Ali`i

Default Re: First Kōlea

The kōlea I saw the other day was sleek and dramatic in its spring plumage; it's almost time for them to leave. Time to say aloha and a hui ho kākou to our part-time residents until the end of summer. The lawns of Hawai'i will be a little drabber without them.

Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; April 6th, 2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old April 6th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Ali`i

Yeah. The guys I see on my way to school every day are nearly ready, too. Some are completely dressed in their new plumage, while some have only recently begun to make the change. I'll miss them, too.
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Ali`i

Same here. Fun seeing them in their 'tuxedo' plumage. And they're looking very well fed... stocking up for that looooong flight.
We have one kolea that's been coming to our property every year for six years. Easily identifiable due to missing its right foot. And of course I named him Chester.
He's become very used to me and lets me get within just a foot or two before he gets nervous. I'll be looking forward to his return...
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:28 PM
Ali`i

The ones at UH-Manoa are still hanging around, usually gone by now. Maybe they've finally wised up and decided it's not worth flying all the way to Alaska or Siberia for the summer?
Old April 6th, 2005, 03:58 PM
Ali`i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Maybe they've finally wised up and decided it's not worth flying all the way to Alaska or Siberia for the summer?
No way. They go there to mate, and how could that not be worth it? Heck, I'd probably fly there, too, if that's what it meant!
Old April 6th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
No way. They go there to mate, and how could that not be worth it? Heck, I'd probably fly there, too, if that's what it meant!
I can see ya now; "c'mon babe. My arms may be tired but my..."
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:12 AM
Kumu

Send a message via AIM to Surfingfarmboy
Post Re: First Kolea

Hawaiian Airlines had a great article on the kolea in their inflight magazine last December 2004. It's probably tough to find an issue of it here in April 2005, but if you can locate one, the article about the kolea in it was extremely interesting.

I have also read about the kolea that the day they leave Hawaii for Alaska, usually April 26th, is the most precisely held scheduled migration departure date in the animal kingdom. Anybody know anything about that?
Old April 7th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Ali`i

Auwe!!! I nevah wen know Kolea's could book flights on Hawaiian Airlines...das some smart birdies!
Old April 25th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Ali`i

Send a message via ICQ to pzarquon Send a message via AIM to pzarquon Send a message via MSN to pzarquon Send a message via Yahoo to pzarquon

Plover lovers
Nadine Kam, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Monday, April 25, 2005
Quote:
When I spoke to Annette Kaohelaulii of the Sierra Club to inquire about the bird, she was suspicious. "Aren't you the one who writes about food?" "Yes, I am, but I have many other interests." "Oh." "Why?" "You know they used to eat kolea in the past," she said. "I wouldn't want that to come back." I didn't know. But then, there's a lot that humankind doesn't know about the kolea...
Old April 26th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Ali`i

I should have posted this last week, but there's one more Kolea lecture, for those of you who are interested in hearing about the work of Wally Johnson and his crew, who monitor kolea every year. I attended last Monday's lecture at St. John's Hall at UH-Manoa. Here's part of the blurb as it appeared in the Star-Bulletin.

Quote:
Wally Johnson, of Montana State University, brings a team of
researchers each April to tag kolea in Hawaii with temporary radio
transmitters that track the birds after they migrate to Alaska for the
summer.

Johnson's talks will be:
April 18 (monday) 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. @ UH-Manoa
April 22 (friday) 7 to 8 pm at Waimea Falls Park
April 26 (tuesday) 7 to 8:30 pm at Windward CC
I highly recommend it, if you can make it out to WCC. The slides alone are worth the trip, and the info is just fascinating. Perhaps later I'll post a few of the interesting facts I picked up. I took notes, of course. I'm a teacher.
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM
Ali`i

And now they're leaving for the summer. Aloha!
Old April 29th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Ali`i

Saw one walking around the main walkway at Honolulu Community College during lunch today. I guess it's not ready to leave yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Bob Krauss's article
Of course, the $64 question is, how do they find their way to Alaska without a compass or radar?
Flying to Alaska should be the easy part, the land mass is big enough so it would be easy enough to spot, it's flying the other way around is the real mystery, the Hawaiian Island chain are specks compared to Alaska.
Old April 29th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Ali`i

Yeah I saw one yesterday... Kahaluu. Apparently, someone didn't let him know.

Does anyone remember a few years back that there was a Perigrine (sp?) falcon cruising the highrises in the Aiea/Pearlridge area? Apparently, the Golden Plover is like a loco moco to these falcons. Residents reported seeing this bird harvesting GPs right out of the air.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Ali`i

Quote:
I saw my first kolea of the season this morning--he was hanging out on the front lawn of the Valkenburgh fire station, near Moanalua Shopping Center and Holy Family School. Saw two more later the same morning.
This morning, I saw the same first kolea! He was right there on the lawn in front of the fire station. He didn't seem as happy to see me as I was to see him.

Then, a few minutes later, I saw two more but I can't say if they were the same two more as last year. Last year it was August 18 that I saw them; this year, it's August 10. It's nice to have them home.
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Ali`i

I think the Kolea came back to Hawai'i early this year for a reason:

"Fossil evidence suggests that the kolea have been flying between Hawaii and Alaska for at least 120,000 years, and their appearance in the oral traditions of pre-contact Polynesian societies has led to speculation that some Pacific islands, perhaps even the Hawaiian Islands themselves, were discovered by Polynesians following the migrating birds. O ka hua o ke kolea aia i Kahiki goes an old Hawaiian saying: The egg of the kolea is laid in a foreign land. Among native Hawaiians both ancient and modern, the kolea is a protector spirit, or aumakua, and the birds’ feathers were once used to make cloaks and kahili for the alii. Kolea are woven through Hawaiian stories, chants and hula; in one myth, the kolea is an incarnation of Koleamoku, a god of healing and a message-bearer to the alii. Some of the mythology persists today as folk belief: If a kolea circles your home while calling, you can expect a death in the family. If one flies across your lawn, you will have a visitor.

To many in the Islands, the kolea symbolize a deep connection to the land and the traditions of those who first settled it. The migration of the kolea represents the unbroken continuity of the world’s ancient rhythms. "It’s easy to take for granted how incredibly well the universe is put together, but kolea remind us of how amazing the natural world is and why we need to take care of it," says Annette Kaohelaulii, amateur birdwatcher and president of the Hawaii Ecotourism Association. Kaohelaulii takes small groups of birders to Alaska to observe kolea. "The Alaskan cultures see in the kolea a deep connection with the Earth," she says. "The same is true for Hawaiians. It’s a very old wisdom."